144hz Monitors?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ben Logan2
    Participant
      @benlogan2

Hey Guys,

I’m hoping to upgrade my cab’s 32 inch 60hz TV to a 144hz monitor in the interest of faster framerate / lower latency. I realize this subject is a total can of worms unto itself.

Here’s my question: I’ve put a few hours of research into this, and I can’t seem to find a 32 inch 144hz monitor option. 144hz monitors seem to come in two sizes mainly: 24″ and 27″. Occasionally you’ll see a 35″ 144hz, but that’s too big for my needs.

Anyone aware of a 32″ 144hz monitor? What’s the best source to buy one?

Thanks,

;)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Drybonz
      Participant
        @drybonz

When I bought my last monitor I ran into this same problem, Ben… 32″ seems to be a tricky size.  That’s what I originally wanted to get, but 32″, in general, for both PC monitors and TV’s seems to be a pretty scarce thing.  It’s larger than most PC monitors and the price tends to go pretty high at that size, but the TV guys seem to have just about given up on making a size that small… so it’s a dilemma.  I don’t really have very good advice for you because the 32″ PC monitors were too expensive for me, I ended up with a 27″.  I don’t have a cab, so that is ok for me, but I understand won’t work for someone with a cab.  If you can afford the PC monitors in that range that is great, but if not, you may want to look at TV’s with true 120hz in the size you want… I don’t think I could find any 144hz in that size for TV’s although they may be out there.

*edit*  Amazon and Newegg are where I get most of my electronics stuff, although there are other places.  I like Amazon because I have the prime subscription.

DJRobX
          @djrobx
          MemberModerator

Really good question.   Subscribed.

I have a VPCab Mini.  I replaced the 720p 29″ TV that it came with with an inexpensive 27″ 1080p monitor.   MUCH happier with that, but would be totally willing to replace it again with a 120/144hz one.   If the screen has a small enough bezel a 30″-31″ would probably fit.

Drybonz
          Participant
            @drybonz

The 144hz Acer gaming monitor I’m using was a pretty good value.  If you can run with a 27″ monitor I recommend it.  I can get the model number if anyone wants it.

Ben Logan2
            Participant
              @benlogan2

Thanks for the recommendation, DB. Yes, it’d be great if you could give us the model number when you get a chance.

This is a pretty good list. They note that 120hz monitors are quickly giving way to 144hz in the consumer market, so don’t let the URL title turn you off: http://120hzmonitors.com/monitor-list-120hz-144hz-165hz-200hz-240hz/

True 120hz TVs (vs gaming monitors) in size 32″ seem hard to come by too, unfortunately.

I’m going to measure my cab and see if I might be able to live with 27″ in that beast. If I were a desktop player, that size sounds about perfect!

Randr, I know you’re a “hardware guy.” B-) Any thoughts?

EDIT: Here are a few that might work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=32+inch+144hz&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Ben Logan2
              Participant
                @benlogan2

Hoping to grab myself a 27″ 144hz monitor for Christmas. A few more questions for you guys! Thanks in advance. I did a bunch of reading over at Tom’s Hardware, but I’d love some “VP specific” answers if any of you guys find time.

1. If your graphics card can’t put out 144 fps consistently (mine usually puts out around 120 to 130), what happens when you enable Vsync with a 144hz monitor?

2. With Vsync off, will 100 fps (for example) look more or less choppy with a 144hz monitor vs. a 60hz monitor?

3. Monitors have an “input response time” value. How important is this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?