2017 – New Build – The 'Ark Vim' project.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Phil Docker
    Participant
      @dock

Here is the beginnings of my new cabinet build….
      image1

“Has he gone mad” I can hear you all say but this Ikea table is not unknown in the MAMA forums.  Someone several years ago had the idea of using one but by the looks of things I do not think he completed it, link at the end of the next message.

The main reason behind the build is recently I have purchased a RFM and Family guy pinball, but I still want visual pinball to play.  Its not that good on a PC after being used to a VP pinball table.  I have no room left for a third pinball and do not want to sell RFM or FG.  My wife loves the idea of the coffee table one so lets go for it!

Here is my plan:
      PC BUILD – complete.
      i3 processor (3.4gig) with 6GB DDR3 ram.
      256Gb SSD hard drive
      320Gb hard drive (for back ups)
      GTX 680 graphic card (2Gb DDR5) – a large 3 slot card
      650watt PSU
      image4

SOFTWARE – complete and running
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      Pinball X front end
      Visual Pinball X
      Visual Pinball 9.22
      Visual Pinball 9 mod
      Pinball FX2
      PROC (for Cactus Canyon continued)
      Dmd extensions (for CCC and Pinball FX2)
      Have not installed the test version of PinMAME yet with the SAM ‘extension board’ capabilities.  I am waiting until it becomes stable.

OTHER HARDWARE:
      Keyboard encoder (ebay job but may upgrade to a iPac 2)
      Ultimarc PAC=drive special edition (this new version is good for pinball builds as it does not turn every output ON when powered up)
      Pinscape board – for the Tilt

I know I could use the pinscape board for my buttons but I prefer the iPac 2.  The reason is simple – it has less lag.  The last time I tried the buttons on the pinscape controller I was not happy with them.  The one I own that I purchased on ebay does joystick emulations so I may still use it in the future.

MONITORS
      Using a 32 inch for the main table which will be inset at an angle into the table.
      A 5 inch screen (£20 chinese job) is used for the backglass as I still wanted to see the backglass but I do not wish to add a backglass stand off to this table as it will look pretty funny and will cease the job of being a table too.
      Pin2DMD for display which will be on top of the screen inset into the table.

Here is everything working together.  Please note that the ‘2nd monitor’ (17 inch 4:3) is only being used whilst I get everything configured.  The 5 inch is too small to work from and I am not good at reading at a 90 degree angle on the 32 inch….

image2

The 5 inch display:
      image3

Phil Docker
      Participant
        @dock

Program of works:
        1 – PC build – DONE
        2 – Get hardware – DONE
        3 – Get software working – DONE
        4 – Find an IKEA RAMVIK table (Ark Vim is an anagram of Ramvik)….- DONE
        5 – Drive 80 miles to collect as you can not get one closer – DONE
        6 – Think and plan on how to install monitors and PC – WIP
        7 – Organise some legs to raise the able up about 15cm (which will make the game easier to nudge too) – DONE
        8 – Take table apart
        9 – Perform major surgery
        10 – Put everything together
        11 – Decide on sound system – WIP
        12 – Tidy up the table where needed (paint or cover edges…  make covers where needed.

Additional things:
        1 – Look at loading MAME tables and installing joystick.

SOMEBODY ELSES WORK:

As this is my third build the PC side has gone real well and is perfectly playable using a keyboard.  I doubt I will use proper DOF but I will install a good speaker system and maybe use a couple of solenoids for flipper realism.

Will fit external headphones jack as well as external USB for updates.  Will also think about making a hinged up screen at the back for a larger display for backglass.  The 5 inch screen will sit where a title card will sit on a real pinball game.  I think there could be a way to put a window in and do this with software but I will have a think.   I have the screen and video card to cover all events.

So – will post up WIP pictures.

HERE is another RAMVIK project:

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/11/my-ramvik-arcade-table.html

The ORIGINAL RAMVIK PINBALL (uncompleted to my knowledge)

https://ramvikpinball.wordpress.com/

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

Look forward to seeing this come together. :good:   Could you fit the 5″ screen next to the pin2dmd up top?  Would need to put things off center for it to work probably but would feel more natural i think to look there, and then you could move the playfield screen closer to the front which I think would give you a better view/angle on it.  Although i’m sure you thought of all this, but just what popped into my head.

oh, and VP has no problem running in windows portrait mode so no need to crick your neck while working on it.. just sayin.

Phil Docker
          Participant
            @dock

Look forward to seeing this come together. :good: Could you fit the 5″ screen next to the pin2dmd up top? Would need to put things off center for it to work probably but would feel more natural i think to look there, and then you could move the playfield screen closer to the front which I think would give you a better view/angle on it. Although i’m sure you thought of all this, but just what popped into my head. oh, and VP has no problem running in windows portrait mode so no need to crick your neck while working on it.. just sayin.

I did try it once in portrait but Pinball X and PBX recorder did not seem to like it.  But saying that it was a while ago on older builds of both.  When the table is complete I can just sit on the left hand side to sort out putting new games in as I have a USB Bluetooth mouse and keyboard if I can not get portrait mode working.

The plan for the 5 inch screen is to emulate an instruction card.  In reality it is only used in a couple of games like Scared stiff for the spider.  I would not be able to see it if it was at the top of the playfield.

There is a chance I could get a 15 inch 4:3 monitor working – it depends on space.  I have to look at so many things within the build of the coffee table.

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

yeah, PBX recorder took some tweaking to get working, but I do use it on my 2 portrait cabs.  I think a later update than I have may have made it easier to setup for portrait.

will be interesting to see what you can fit in the ikea table, a b2s would be nice for sure if only for scoring on non-dmd tables.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

You might go for a “poor mans dof”

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=21820&p=364393

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

This looks like a great project.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

Phil Docker
                  Participant
                    @dock

You might go for a “poor mans dof” http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=21820&p=364393

Yes – I am aware of this and was considering it !  In my other two cabs DOF never seemed to run right no matter what I did and used so to be honest I get by fine without it.  I have two real pinballs if I want ‘the’ sound.  The VP will mainly be played at late at night – when Mrs D is in bed.  So it will also have a headphone socket for the audio.

Also have to watch out that transducers do not ‘shake’ the table if I go down that route.  I think it will rattle a bit as there is a drawer at either end :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, please throw in your views.

Nemo
                    Participant
                      @nemo

Loving this project ! Bookmarked  :good:

Phil Docker
                      Participant
                        @dock

IMG_4034
                        IMG_4035

Well viewers – not much has happened since I last posted about this until tonight….  Finally Christmas is out the way with, and my wifes’ 50th is done and dusted.  My ‘real’ Family guy pinball is now all working and is getting played plenty….

I thought tonight about planning the screen layout.  Originally I was going to go for the first layout.  With DMD at bottom of playfield but now I have gone for the DMD at the top of the playfield.  The screen will be angled like a real PF, and the pin2dmd will also continue the same ‘slope’ with maybe a little bit more added on so the player can see it.

Tomorrow the coffee table is going into work, where I will cut the top, cut fan holes and also the flipper and other buttons.

Have decided to go for a 2.1 channel amp running stereo car speakers and a separate sub.  The sub will be at the bottom of the table, and the stereo speakers will be on the side of the table.  I was thinking about putting the stereo speakers underneath as well but I felt that was not natural.  At least this way I should also get a stereo spread.

The mini playfield screen is on the bottom left of the playfield.  I will build this out with some kind of perspex mount.  It is really just there or decoration or when I play SS or T3….

I just think a backbox on a coffee table would look pretty AWFUL to say the least.

It is possible I may change the mini screen to a 7 inch instead of 5 inch.  This takes a normal HDMI cable fed via the DP output on my video card.  I will also put a hidden socket on the table to allow me to plug a normal monitor in should I want a backglass.  I will then just mirror the  two displays.

Over the next few days I intend to crack on with this.  I am busy looking round my home to find the ‘safe places’ I have put all my bits like solid state relay for power, and my supply of 4 inch fans!

Anyhow – its bed time now, so off to the land of nod as I have a busy day at work tomorrow!  Well when I say work……

Phil Docker
                        Participant
                          @dock

Phil Docker
                          Participant
                            @dock

Well after having my table in my workshop the last two days – and being too busy to do anything in my 9-5 schedule, I bought it back home.

Explained to the good lady wife about me working in the front room (which is my home workshop/pin room anyway) on a saturday night, she didnt seem to mind… well until I started getting my router out!

So here is a photo how the cab looks tonight.

table-routed-1

Two fans drilled in the bottom (120mm) and a larger hole for the sub.  I have upgraded the speakers in my family guy so I will reuse the old sub from that.  The cab also has a 4 inch speaker either side.  They are positioned near the front of the cab.  I know these will stick out a bit but hey…

Also rounded the front panel slightly so its like a real lock down bar.  I will have to seal the wood.

I may get this cabinet sprayed at some point.  For now it will look a bodge until I have decided its a success.

The back drawer will remain so it can open and close.  I will put the amp near that drawer and also some USB ports etc…

Still – its early days so tomorrow morning will be down the local suppliers for some brackets and other wood for struts etc…  Plus I will drill the flipper buttons, start, exit and extra ball button.  Said previously I am not using a plunger as it will stick out!

Long term there will be a 9pin D socket or a joypad so I can put mame games on.

ANYHOW – more reports soon!

Attachments:
                            randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Such a great project! I will be coping this so keep pictures coming please

********************************************************
                              for IOS and Android

Dark
                                @dark
                                vipMemberContributor

I really like this concept the only thing that worries me is with the glass not going all the way to the edge of the table and there being a seam where the wood meets the glass if you spill a drink on it, it could drain inside the cabinet.

3dcreation

rothbauerw
                                  @rothbauerw
                                  ModeratorContributorMembervip

This is pretty cool.  I love the concept!

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Phil Docker
                                  Participant
                                    @dock

Today has seen a major change of plan!  I have had to ‘do down’ lower into the coffee table, and cut out the previous base so its down into the shelf underneath.

IMG_4049

The sides have also been blanked off.  This was necessary to get my computer in with adequate air movement and space for cables etc.  Everything did fit in the top section BUT it would of meant serious routing to get cables into video card and air flow would of been compromised.  So I decided to change the plan a little.

This shot is taken looking down:
                                    IMG_4050

The DMD is actually the same angle it would be in a backbox, and the playfield is set lower into the table.
                                    IMG_4048

Really happy that I did this now, it took a couple more hours of routing (and more hours of vacuuming!).

I bought a cheap joystick/keyboard encoder off ebay and I have to admit – its a pile of dog crap, so I have just ordered the iPac mini, which is a direct replacement cabling wise.  The problem I have with the cheap encoder is it just wont work with PinballFX2 games as it emulates a joystick.  I can not choose specific keys in PinballFX2 either, as they are expecting you to use an 360 controller.  I know there is probably a software hack to get round this but I am just going to go to the ipac mini as I know this works well.  It does what it says on the box!

So the next jobs:
                                    FIX the playfield screen in properly (it is sat on wood struts at the moment.
                                    Make a bracket for the small ‘back glass’ monitor to sit properly on top of the playfield.
                                    Program the DOF to get the button lights to work as they should.  I have decided not to light the flipper buttons.
                                    Wire solid state relay so everything switches on and off with PC.
                                    Install sub speaker.  Have just ordered upgraded speakers for my Family Guy so I will use the stern sub.  I only have 4 inch speakers on the L and R on the cabinet so I know I will not get the greatest sound.

After all the installation is done all the bezels will be made around the screens.

I am also going to recover the wooden top (the bit under the glass!) as its not in the best condition.  When finally fitting the glass (semi-permanent) I will use a rubber seal around the edges so in case of a spillage that will stop most the carnage.  To be honest – I know its a coffee table but I wont be putting drinks directly on it.  I will put a tray on it first to again minimalise any chance of damage by liquid.  It can never be 100% water tight without using sealant – but all the electronics will be serviceable from under the glass.

On the front of the table is also an external button to turn PC on, as well as a USB port.  I can plug a memory stick in that for updates and also a joypad for MAME games.

Have a lot of finishing off work to do but the table is now at least playable.

More stuff to follow when mini iPac and other bits arrive……

Phil Docker
                                    Participant
                                      @dock

More progress today as it actually looks finished!

The insides will tell you another story.

Reason for ‘finishing it off’ more on the outside is:
                                      1 – So I can use it.
                                      2 – Can see if it needs more fans for cooling
                                      3 – See if any improvements can be made.

The long term plan is to get the who cabinet sprayed as this will also tidy up outside.  I need to fill screw holes etc.

Anyhow – here are some photos of the bezel round monitor, the mounting for the Pin2DMD as well as the internal sides of the cab.

To complete a photo partially finished with glass on and off.

Enjoy.

IMG_4056
                                      IMG_4057
                                      IMG_4059
                                      IMG_4062
                                      IMG_4063

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

Man that does look neat! I have a coffee table my kids destroyed by not using coasters and this looks like a great way to save the table. Love the use of the dmd and smaller LCD! Slick! You need to do a video

for IOS and Android

Phil Docker
                                        Participant
                                          @dock

Man that does look neat! I have a coffee table my kids destroyed by not using coasters and this looks like a great way to save the table. Love the use of the dmd and smaller LCD! Slick! You need to do a video

Some more bits arrived today so I hope on Sunday to finish off the trim and I was going to do a small youtube video…..

jonch919
                                          Participant
                                            @jonch919

I love this creative build! An excellent idea to use your coffee table. I’d love to see a Youtube video as well.

A tip regarding a larger mini-display is you can get a 9.7″ Ipad 3/4 retina panel and controller card with Display Port connection for about $70. Excellent value for a top quality panel. I use one as an extra screen on my laptop, clamped on the side of the lid/screen.

You would need this controller board, $30:
                                            http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=47

And one of these panels; plenty on Ebay for about $40:

• LG LP097QX1-SPC1/2/3/ any other suffix most likely
                                            • LG LP097QX1-SPA1/2/V
                                            • Samsung LTL097QL01-W01

Plug & play!  :good:

Top 3 favorite pinball tables:
                                            1. Twilight Zone
                                            2. Attack from Mars
                                            3. Medieval Madness

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?