About to GO POSTAL!!!!! (Nvidia Issues)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

3 days…. THREE DAYS!!!! I have been trying to solve this problem.

I recently upgraded my GPU from a GTX670 to a 960 and it has started a whole world of pain.  I cant upgrade to the latest Nvidia driver, as it just creates the dreaded “black screen”, so I have it running of a driver about 5 versions old.  It runs perfectly fine and I can make the adjustments required within Nvidia control panel.

I can play VPX to my heart’s content without issue…. I can even restart windows and everything is fine.

But if I power the cab off at the wall and then reboot, my Nvidia adjustments are gone and video and audio need to be reset.  Once I do that, it’s all good again.  I can restart, but NOT power down and reboot.

I’ve deleted drivers with Windoze, Driver Delete apps… I’ve removed registry entries…. I’ve investigated the BIOS for issues and I’ve even stood on one leg while balancing chicken on my head and mooing like a cow… You name it, I’ve done it! But NADA! The problem persists.

Short of a complete clean install of Windoze 10 (which I don’t want to do), or porting VPX to run on OSX (my preferred option) what can I try that I haven’t already?

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Odd. Running old driver is not ideal that’s for sure! Did you uninstall all the stuff for nvidia and just install driver only removing all the experience and other unneeded stuff?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
          @rustycardores
          MemberModerator

Yep. Uninstalled everything and have tried just the driver.  No luck.

So I installed all of nvidia again and let it do its thing… now I have the dreaded black screens of death. (black screens with white curser only)

No I have to try and figure out how I can force it to start in Safe Mode

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

try a different pcie slot? gosh maybe card is no good?

for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
              @rustycardores
              MemberModerator

Card is fine. The black screen only arrived with the nvidia driver update. It’s quite a common problem, but done of the fixes online have worked for me.

My big issue now is that I cant get past this black screen to try anything else. :(

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

Rusty, you probably already checked this stuff… but that happened to me one time and I had got the drivers for the wrong windows version.  Also, did you try stepping back just one or two driver versions?… or were you not able to yet because of the black screen?

RustyCardores
                  @rustycardores
                  MemberModerator

I had tried earlier versions and while they didn’t give me the black screen, the settings wouldn’t hold after reboot. So I let nvidia grab it’s own driver update and now I’m stuck in this darkness. It’s like looking up a cows bum it’s so black here at the moment :(

One of the issues I have is that PinballX is set to start automagically at boot….  If I can figure out how to stop that process (from a black screen), I may be in with a shot???

Drybonz
                  Participant
                    @drybonz

So, when you are trying to get into safe mode, I just realized they changed the method to get in, so without a CD, and not being able to get into Windows to use the new shortcut… would you have to use a USB image to boot?  But then if a person didn’t make one before the problem I guess you would have to use another computer?

*edit*  I was just reading that there is a cmd prompt command they made to turn the old “F8” shortcut to get into safe mode back on… but not helpful unless people knew to do that before a problem started.  Really sorry I don’t know of another solution besides making a recovery USB image.

RustyCardores
                      @rustycardores
                      MemberModerator

Well I’m back up and running, but only to the point of having the original issue persist.

I’m so lucky to have gaming nerds for kids, as there was an i7 Laptop with Windows 10 in the spare parts bin and I could pull a USB boot drive from it.

I’ve restored back to the earlier version of the Nvidia driver that doesn’t give the black screen of death, but still have to deal with the settings not holding problem. So after 3 and a bit solid days on this problem, I have come full circle and am right back to where I started.

Have I mentioned that I hate PC’s?  Have I mentioned that I hate Windooooze? ;)

Drybonz
                      Participant
                        @drybonz

Hey Rusty… can you grab a recent, but not too recent version of the drivers and install them without the “nvidia experience”, or whatever that feature is called that updates the drivers?  If you go back a few versions of drivers you may not have the black screen, but be recent enough to avoid the problem with the settings not sticking.

RustyCardores
                          @rustycardores
                          MemberModerator

I will go back even further with the drivers as you suggested, but I’m not sure the driver is the issue with the settings.

It works perfectly through restarts and reboots, but only after a power down reboot it goes pear shaped.  What’s different about a power down reboot?

Al
                          Participant
                            @alandee

Hi Rusty,

Have you got an option for videocard on the motherboard ? Boot up uefi to get to onboard video priority, make sure nothing clever selected there, just go bog standard, no performance tweaks, everything auto etc .. then while running on Intel video, install the drivers for nvidia, then cold reboot uefi to select pci card priority .. only drawback is maybe the screen reordering, but thats a whole other issue and just a quick change to screenres.txt if required.

This assumes bios is updated also !

And also is the power supply ok?

cheers,

al.

Drybonz
                            Participant
                              @drybonz

I will go back even further with the drivers as you suggested, but I’m not sure the driver is the issue with the settings. It works perfectly through restarts and reboots, but only after a power down reboot it goes pear shaped. What’s different about a power down reboot?

I wonder if it’s a weird hibernation issue… do you have that enabled?

*edit*  Also, Rusty… now that you can get back in your system, if you want to enable the “F8” to get into safe mode easily, here’s some info on that http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22455-f8-advanced-boot-options-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

RustyCardores
                                @rustycardores
                                MemberModerator

No option for video on the mother board Al.  Plus this is an older updated machine to Win10, so no UEFI options either.

BIOS is the most recent for this board.  Power supply is OK, as it runs the tables perfectly with the GPU specs maxed out. If it was not up to the task it would be failing then.

It’s driving me insane… set all settings, plays beautifully without hitch in high res.  Reboot and screen displays the windows sad minion in a lower res and from then on its crap. (I call it the sad minion cause it looks to me like a one eyed sad mouth minion, as opposed to a outline of a user)

RustyCardores
                                  @rustycardores
                                  MemberModerator

Not a hibernation issue… everything is set to ‘Clarkson’ …… “MORE POWER!!” always on. ;)

RustyCardores
                                    @rustycardores
                                    MemberModerator

Kwirks Log:

I’ve now entered Day 4 in orbit around planet ‘Windows10’ located in the Pinball Nebula. Windows10 is proving to be quite a hostile environment and is refusing all efforts to terraform it’s landscape.

But persist I must, as the only other option available to me is the complete and utter annihilation of the entire nebula.

Sadly however, as time drags on and coffee supplies dwindle, the wielding of the PhotonSledge is becoming a more and more attractive option.
                                    randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

lol! oh man

********************************************************
                                      for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
                                        @rustycardores
                                        MemberModerator

I’ve now gone back to the oldest driver available for my GPU. Removed all traces of existing nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller, regedit and direct deletes.

After installing I have set my screen resolutions and sound options…. adjusted PBX screen order and VPs screenres.txt.

Everything played beautifully, in fact I set my new High Score on TOM.

Closed VP & PBX via PBX menu and restarted using the Windows…. played beautifully again.

Shutdown the computer via VP and restarted using the PC’s start button…. all good.

Shutdown the computer via VP, turned off the power, waited 30 seconds, turned power back on and restarted using the PC’s start button…. and it’s all F’ed up again. :(

What is different about a boot just after power off?  I have disabled Windows Fast Start… what else?

What was interesting…. while it was booting right, the BIOS splash would come up on my Topper screen, but when it went wrong it was back on my playfield and not at full resolution. During the windows boot, the playfield screen gets changed to the correct setting though.

It’s as if the screen ordering is getting confused during BIOS or early Win boot? (My topper and playfield are 1920×1080, but my backglass is 1360×768)

Man this is a freaking nightmare!!!

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

How is that. NEw topper screen hooked up?

for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
                                            @rustycardores
                                            MemberModerator

Topper via HDMI out, the other two screens via DVI out, all from the GTX960

It was connected this way on the old GTX670 as well and all worked fine on that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?