Aliens (PuP-Pack, FX3, BG, Topper) W.I.P.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

Aliens (PuP-Pack, FX3, BG, Topper) W.I.P.

NOTE: This is a Work in Progress. Most of the Backglass work is done, but there are only Toppers videos for the APC Mode right now. I still need some PuPCapture Images for some mode ending,etc…so you may see a looping video not stop.

Also, if you hold down your flippers…that stupid STATS INFO scroll will override possible needed PuPCap images to stop some videos. There is nothing I can do to disable this.

Other wise, this PuP-Pack is really cool…especially on Stage 5 and Stage 6, as well as FaceHugger Multiball!

I wanted to submit this…so others can try it out on their FX3 / 2 setups and give some feedback. Enjoy!

Please read and follow the entire PinUP Player Install Instructions before using this.

Aliens PinUp Player Pack (BackGlass, Topper)  Work. In . Progress

System:  Pinball FX3

All Video, Media and Artwork, PuP-Pack Editor & PuPCapture files by TerryRed

Video preview (2m 21s) :

Requirements:

DMDExt 1.6.0

PinUP Player v1.20 or greater (this will install updated DMDext dmdevice.dll that will work with PuPCapture)

Pinball FX3 / 2:  Need to have in-game cabinet support enabled. DMD relocation enabled and the FX3 DMD working with DMDext.

ROM:  “Aliens”

DMD Colors:  Default (Yellow),

Red DMD (P1 in Hot Seat) won’t work with the PupCapture files in this PuP-Pack.

It’s important that you set your DMD colours to match the default in order to ensure proper PuPCapture operation.

Installation:

Ensure there are no files in your PUPVideos Aliens folder (if that folder already exists).

Copy the PuP-Pack (Aliens) folder into your PUPVideos folder.

(example: C:Visual PinballTables PinUpPlayer PUPVideos Aliens).

DMDExt

DMDext needs your FX3/2 [TABLEFILE] passed to it so that PinUP Player can know what table you are playing and what PuP-Pack to use.

Background Videos:

Backglass:  Enabled by default

Topper   :  Enabled by default

(note background settings are configurable by using PinUPPackEditor.exe)

Installation Notes:

The Backglass has a default setting to enable a looping Background Backglass video.

The Topper has a default setting to enable a looping Background Topper Video.  If you are using your own Topper Video (through Pinball X) you should either disable the Topper Background video (using PinUPPackEditor), or replace it with your own video.

This PuP-Pack is designed to be used with Backglass and Topper.

If you do not have a Topper screen, you do not need to use the PuP Topper if you don’t want to. You can disable this just for this table only using the PinUPPackEditor.

Troubleshooting:

Visit:

http://vpinball.com/forums/forum/visual-pinball-forums/pinup-player-interactive-video-plugin/

3 users thanked author for this post.
      Psmiraglia
      Participant
        @psmiraglia

Terry, both here and in the PUP installation notes there are references to the parameters needed for dmdext.exe for FX2/3: sometimes it is quoted as”-o PinUP[TABLEFILE]” others like “-o PinUP\[TABLEFILE]”. Is the backlash needed or not ?

also, could this pack work on FX2, or is it FX3 only ? the install notes sometimes refer to FX2, but not consistently, so I figure I should ask before spending time on it.

thanks!

TerryRed
          @terryred

-o PinUP\[TABLEFILE]

Definitely need the following (with a slash) at the end of your parameter.

-o PinUP\[TABLEFILE]

The forums seem to like to erase slash sometimes…don’t know why. Very annoying..and can make it frustrating for you guys getting the wrong info. Discord does the same thing. :(

For a virtual DMD (monitor) user this is exactly what I use in Pinball X:

Executable:   dmdext.ext

Parameters:  mirror –source=pinballfx3 -q -d virtual –virtual-stay-on-top –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position=xxxx yyyy width -o PinUP\[TABLEFILE]

You would need to adjust the “xxxx yyyy width” to match your LCD virtual DMD position and size.

For Pin2DMD users…this is what rablack97 used in his system, and it worked fine.

Also, yes this works for FX2 as well… you will need to make sure your dmdext parameters for FX2 are also correct including   –source=pinballfx2.

Just make sure that your [TABLEFILE] name in Pinball X is “Aliens” for FX3 and FX2.

If you are trying to run this PuP-Pack with FX2, and you have focus issues….let me know, and I’ll tell you what to do to help with that. PuP has a built-in function to help with focus problems, but it is setup for FX3 with this PuP-Pack.

Iain
          Participant
            @iain1986

Not sure what issue i’m having, but I have DMD 1.6 and when I run normally, the DMD displays on my PinDMDv3 perfectly fine.

However, when I add “-o PinUp\[TABLEFILE]” to the end, when I launch via PinballX I get no DMD displaying to the PinDMDv3 anymore (assume something crashes?)

My DMDext command is slightly different but I have…

mirror –source=pinballfx3 –no-virtual -q –fps 60 -o PinUP\[TABLEFILE]

Psmiraglia
            Participant
              @psmiraglia

make sure you are calling dmdext.exe that came with PuPlayer (also 1.6). The older 1.6 from Freezy does not start if you add “-o”. If you had 1.6 (or older) before installing pup you need to make sure it is not being called by either removing it or performing a full path call from PBX.

Iain
              Participant
                @iain1986

Ok figured it out, it was the fact PinUp installed DMDext in a different location. So i’ve fixed it now and the videos appear….but now the DMD from pinballFX3 is being rendered over the top of the game. Not sure why thats changed…VirtualDMD is off in the DMD ext config (the one PinUp is using).

Iain
                Participant
                  @iain1986

Ok, no idea what was going on but I just relaunched (after changing nothing) and it worked fine!

Gonna put it down to PinballFX3 being buggy because cabinet mode has seemed flakey since the last update they did, for a while all my tables would always be in Landscape instead of portrait and all the cabinet settings were resetting. So lets blame Zen for this one!

Videos looking ace, all working seemlessly (apart from me being one of “those” who put DMDext somewhere else :P )

Iain
                  Participant
                    @iain1986

Ok, so I get this issue intermidently and I think its a “focus” issue.

If the PUP display delays in loading and doesn’t appear until a few seconds after FX3 has already loaded the table, then all my screens “flicker” to refresh and the DMD from FX3 ends up in the foreground.

So, although PUP is correctly focusing itself to get it in front of the FX3 default image on the backglass, this seems to messup my playfield view as it brings the FX3 DMD in front of the playfield…

Anyone else seen similar issues? TerryRed is this something similar to the Focus issues you mention could be in FX2?

EDIT – Ok. So more troubleshooting and I might have “solved” my issue. So I had Topper videos still enabled by accident on ALIENS. I don’t have a topper so i’ve turned that off, and now 6 launches of the table in a row and all loaded fine with no DMD overlapping playfield issues.

So I *think* the issue was, because I left the topper videos on by mistake, the default video position in PUP is the top left of the main screen…my playfield. So the backglass loads and focuses fine, but the Topper focusing in front of the playfield was sometimes bringing the FX3 DMD window to the front. That make sense?

I *think* I’m all sorted now but will let you know if I see issues happening again. My setup does flicker a bit when loading from FX3 loading screen ->  Table and assume its the Pup focusing to ensure its videos are in the foreground?

FYI – this is all Windows 7, 2 screen setup with a PinDMDv3

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

thanks for all the troubleshooting…it will help others.

even though you don’t have a topper…i’d suggest to set the topper position onto your bg (not on playfield)… because it may happen again in future, and it’ll be easier to see the ‘extra’ topper displayed on the BG.

Psmiraglia
                      Participant
                        @psmiraglia

Terry, Not sure if it is related to the focus issue you alluded to but if I launch FX2 tables with dmdext and doflinx they now freeze 1 second into the game (the intro). I can get past that if I disable B2S in doflinx… not sure if this is caused by B2S, doflinx or the dmdext -o link… For now, I have B2S off within doflinx.ini so I can play… let me know if anything comes to mind to troubleshoot (pup1.2 and doflinx 6.11)

TerryRed
                          @terryred

Terry, Not sure if it is related to the focus issue you alluded to but if I launch FX2 tables with dmdext and doflinx they now freeze 1 second into the game (the intro). I can get past that if I disable B2S in doflinx… not sure if this is caused by B2S, doflinx or the dmdext -o link… For now, I have B2S off within doflinx.ini so I can play… let me know if anything comes to mind to troubleshoot (pup1.2 and doflinx 6.11)

Are you only using this for FX2? If so then try editing the pupinit.bat file (inside the Aliens folder) and look for:

forcefocus.exe “Pinball FX3” 10000

and change it to:

forcefocus.exe “Pinball FX2” 10000

Also…you say you disabled B2S? You mean using B2S backglass with FX2? The B2S backglasses can cause issues with focus on FX2 / 3 for some setups. You don’t need to disable it if it’s just for Aliens…you can just remove the B2S for just that table (since you are using PuP_Pack…no need for it).

Also…you may need to try switching between Borlderless Windowed mode and Fullscreen in FX2 settings to see if that makes a difference.  I’ve had issues with fullscreen causing different things with FX for some reason…but other people have no problem with fullscreen   Try each and see if it helps.

I can confirm that FX2 with this PuP-Pack runs perfect for me…and I don’t use the B2S on any DOFLinx tables…as it sometimes does cause issues for my setup.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          Psmiraglia
                          Participant
                            @psmiraglia

Are you only using this for FX2? If so then try editing the pupinit.bat file (inside the Aliens folder) and look for: forcefocus.exe “Pinball FX3” 10000 and change it to: forcefocus.exe “Pinball FX2” 10000 Also…you say you disabled B2S? You mean using B2S backglass with FX2? The B2S backglasses can cause issues with focus on FX2 / 3 for some setups. You don’t need to disable it if it’s just for Aliens…you can just remove the B2S for just that table (since you are using PuP_Pack…no need for it). Also…you may need to try switching between Borlderless Windowed mode and Fullscreen in FX2 settings to see if that makes a difference. I’ve had issues with fullscreen causing different things with FX for some reason…but other people have no problem with fullscreen Try each and see if it helps. I can confirm that FX2 with this PuP-Pack runs perfect for me…and I don’t use the B2S on any DOFLinx tables…as it sometimes does cause issues for my setup.

I could get PuP to launch.

• my main issue was that I was calling dmdext.exe from a batch file (usefull for adding delays), but it was not correctly passing TABLEFILE (I do not know how to escape  “\” and “[” )
                            • as soon as the DMD comes up, FX2 loses focus. forcefocus.exe did not help (let me know if there are parameters I can play with, like that 10000 value)
                            • I have to run FX2 in fullscreen (in w1ndowed mode I cannot get dmdext to fire my pindmd for some reason)
                            • I’m leaving B2S off (within doflinx.ini) for both FX2 and FX3 systems

thanks!!

TerryRed
                              @terryred

Are you only using this for FX2? If so then try editing the pupinit.bat file (inside the Aliens folder) and look for: forcefocus.exe “Pinball FX3” 10000 and change it to: forcefocus.exe “Pinball FX2” 10000 Also…you say you disabled B2S? You mean using B2S backglass with FX2? The B2S backglasses can cause issues with focus on FX2 / 3 for some setups. You don’t need to disable it if it’s just for Aliens…you can just remove the B2S for just that table (since you are using PuP_Pack…no need for it). Also…you may need to try switching between Borlderless Windowed mode and Fullscreen in FX2 settings to see if that makes a difference. I’ve had issues with fullscreen causing different things with FX for some reason…but other people have no problem with fullscreen Try each and see if it helps. I can confirm that FX2 with this PuP-Pack runs perfect for me…and I don’t use the B2S on any DOFLinx tables…as it sometimes does cause issues for my setup.

I could get PuP to launch.

• my main issue was that I was calling dmdext.exe from a batch file (usefull for adding delays), but it was not correctly passing TABLEFILE (I do not know how to escape “\” and “[” )
                              • as soon as the DMD comes up, FX2 loses focus. forcefocus.exe did not help (let me know if there are parameters I can play with, like that 10000 value)
                              • I have to run FX2 in fullscreen (in w1ndowed mode I cannot get dmdext to fire my pindmd for some reason)
                              • I’m leaving B2S off (within doflinx.ini) for both FX2 and FX3 systems

thanks!!

Yah…for me…I had issues when running in fullscreen…hmmmm….

Do you have dmdext virtual DMD enabled? Since you have a real DMD you should have that disabled in dmddevice.ini (we don’t want that appearing and taking focus away, possibly under your PF screen)

What position is your FX2 DMD at? Not the dmdext dmd…..I mean the “enable DMD re position”  in the cabinet settings in FX2. Make sure it isn’t appearing “under” your fullscreen FX2 playfield. Make sure it is positioned far right away from all your screens (PF, BG,etc) to be sure it isn’t popping up. (you can’t see it if you are running exclusive fullscreen)

TerryRed
                                @terryred

….also to clarify…. DOFLinx has nothing to do with PuP-Packs in FX3 / 2 (because this uses PuPCapture).  That is all handled by PuP and dmdext.

senseless
                                Participant
                                  @senseless

Hi Terry, is there an easy way to run this outside pbx? I just want to use a *.bat file to start dmdext and enable pup player and then run fx3 and select the Aliens table. Thanks!

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

This is the BAT file I used just for testing Aliens…. I use a virtual DMD, so if you have a real DMD then make the needed changes for your setup.

You’ll need to change the “xxxx yyyy width”   to what your dmd position and size is, and change your path to VPinMAME. This will only work for running  Aliens.

cd “E:\Emulators\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME”

start mirror –source=pinballfx3 -q -d virtual –virtual-stay-on-top –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position=xxxx yyyy width -o PinUp\ALIENS

Though Pinball X is easy to setup. Just use my example in the post above.

senseless
                                    Participant
                                      @senseless

I’m running a non-steam version of FX3 and can’t get table selection to work in pbx. So I’m looking for alternatives and a batch file is one of them.  I run a pin2dmd so no need for the virtual position (just a -d pin2dmd setting). Will try with the -0 PinUP\Aliens option with changing path to VPinMame. Wanna see this WIP :).

Mark70
                                      Participant
                                        @mark70

I finally got this working and wow, it is really awesome! Thank you very much for sharing.
                                        The quality of the videos is very good. The game feels much more complete now.
                                        I hope you consider to release more FX3 PUP packs. It would be much appreciated.

I would like to give some additional feedback:
                                        I had the problem that I could only see about 30 percent of the videos playing (compared to your YT videos).
                                        After hours of playing around with every possible setting, I suddenly had the idea what the cause could be.
                                        It came to my mind that you trigger the videos from DMD events, and you did all the setting by using an
                                        DMD which is displaying in english. Zen did a good job, they translated the DMD, so mine is displaying in german!
                                        After changing the language settings for FX to englisch, everything is working fine. Please note, you can’t change it
                                        within the game, you can find the language setting in the Steam PinballFX properties.

So this will be the case for all non english player, maybe it would make sense to add this to the installation guide.

TerryRed
                                          @terryred

I finally got this working and wow, it is really awesome! Thank you very much for sharing. The quality of the videos is very good. The game feels much more complete now. I hope you consider to release more FX3 PUP packs. It would be much appreciated. I would like to give some additional feedback: I had the problem that I could only see about 30 percent of the videos playing (compared to your YT videos). After hours of playing around with every possible setting, I suddenly had the idea what the cause could be. It came to my mind that you trigger the videos from DMD events, and you did all the setting by using an DMD which is displaying in english. Zen did a good job, they translated the DMD, so mine is displaying in german! After changing the language settings for FX to englisch, everything is working fine. Please note, you can’t change it within the game, you can find the language setting in the Steam PinballFX properties. So this will be the case for all non english player, maybe it would make sense to add this to the installation guide.

Thanks for the kind words!

Wow…never even thought about language issues with the DMD. Yes…with FX3, the DMD is the only thing triggering the videos.

If someone is able to get the PuP Captures fomr the DMD for your language then those could be used instead of the English images.

Mark70
                                          Participant
                                            @mark70

Pinall FX 3 tables are on sale (30-60 percent) until february 19,  so maybe this is a good opportunity to get the Aliens tables with a 50 percent discount, and be able to play this great PuP mod.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?