Buck Rogers (Gottlieb 1980)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

Buck Rogers (Gottlieb 1980)

So I believe I first played this machine at the Pacific NW Pinball show last June.  Kriss and I both really enjoyed it, along with Count-Down as two of our favorites of the show (also Capersville and Laser Cue, yes we are old :) ).  While I now own a Count-Down machine, Buck Rogers is still at the top of my list of system 1 machines to acquire.  In the mean time having them done in VPX  will be a fun alternative.

This started out as an upgrade to Sindbad’s vp9 table found over on VPF.  Hauntfreaks did the inital layout and lighting etc in VPX last summer from a beta sindbad had put out during the vp10 beta phase and it’s been mostly hanging out since then. I rebuilt all the code, keeping mainly the vari-target scripting form Sindbad’s table, found some nicer plastic images courtesy of the interwebs and went to town this week.

New the top of the script is a line that currently reads “Const VT_Delay_Factor = .88”.  What this line does is controls how fast the vari-target slows down the captive ball that hit’s it.  The smaller the number the more it slows it down.  I’m not sure exactly where this number should be, but I do know a couple things: 1. it is possible to set the vari-target to the very back in one shot, I’ve seen it done in videos, 2. .8 I think makes it too hard to every achieve the 1 shot reset of the vari-target, 3. .95 makes it too easy to make that shot.  So somewhere in the middle is where we sit.  I have not yet made it in one hit with the current settings, but I have come close, it takes a timing shot with momentum on the ball to make it happen.  Feel free to play with this variable and report back what happens.

While I have an image that I believe is slightly better, wildman has a nice db2s over on VPU, http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2342-buck-rogersgottlieb-1980/  I did use my image for making the desktop backdrop.

As usual my settings are for portrait mode, I have included a landscape.xml that you can import an get you close if you have your cabinet setup the wrong way.

Total of 22 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Man, you’re on a hot streak lately. Can’t wait to pour a beer tonight and fire this up.

Nice to see a little more work by the departed @hauntfreaks, too. That guy did great work.

Jeremy
        Participant
          @malachi666

Thanks!  This is a great table.  I was wondering if the replays are only scored at the end of the game or should they be scored when you reach the various point thresholds.  Solid work by the way!

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Great table choices you have @borgdog . Thanks for the time you put into this it looks great!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

Laylow
            Participant
              @pinlow
              MemberContributor

Thanks for finishing this great table. Looks and plays fantastic!  :good:

Ah

1 user thanked author for this post.
              BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

Thanks! This is a great table. I was wondering if the replays are only scored at the end of the game or should they be scored when you reach the various point thresholds. Solid work by the way!

To be honest I have no idea what the default replay levels are, nor how the change them in vp anyway, something to look into I guess, but I had noticed that as well. I just picked a replay card basically at random. If I figure it out I’ll update the card to match.

Sliderpoint
                Participant
                  @sliderpoint
                  MemberContributor

Lookout @borgdog has come into a new decade, the 1980’s!!

Sweet! Nice work!

Question, flippers are always on. Is that correct?

-Mike

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

So it appears that by default the replay levels are all set at zero.  the procedures to change them are found on vpf HERE  I assume it keeps that settings in the nvram file in the vpinmamenvram folder.  I have set mine to match the replay card in the system, if you want you can just copy my nvram over your’s and it will set those levels.  My file attached (remove from zip to use, put in visual pinballvpinmamenvram). Of course you will also get my current high score with that but the directions linked above also tell how to reset that.  There are also some dip switch settings for sound, replay vs extra ball etc that can be gotten by pressing F6 while the table is running.

Attachments:
                    BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

Lookout @borgdog has come into a new decade, the 1980’s!! Sweet! Nice work! Question, flippers are always on. Is that correct? -Mike

Sort of, I am bypassing the calls to vpinmame for the flippers, and using the Game Over and Tilt lights as indicators as to when they are active.  so when you first start the table until gottliebs 5 second “check” is over and Game Over is lit they will be active.  Other than that you should not be able to flip…. hmm now that I think about it I haven’t checked on my cab, I think the current way its setup they may always be active with a b2s running… let me look into that.

BorgDog
                      Participant
                        @borgdog
                        MemberContributorvip

yeah, i need to fix that.

Pinbolt
                        Participant
                          @pinbolt

Thank you so much for this great table. Buck Rogers is cool.

STAT
                          Participant
                            @stefanaustria
                            MemberContributor

Thank you BorgDog, Thank you HauntFreaks :-)
                            HS today: 579.000

Drybonz
                            Participant
                              @drybonz

Thanks, BorgDog… you are on a roll!

I have the VP9 version, and had downloaded the early beta VPX version, but it always gave me a bunch of errors… really glad to have a working VPX version.

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

Just uploaded v1.1 that fixes the issue with the flippers always active when b2s is on (thanks @sliderpoint).  Also included a nvram file that sets the replay levels to what is shown on the cards (and high score at 100,000).

Badfinger
                                Participant
                                  @badfinger

Thanks!

Totally forgot about this one, the art style is definitely same folks that did Count Down?

When I finally can manage an actual table buy, this will be on my list.

1968 - 1991 seems to be my favorite ERA of pinball machines.

STAT
                                  Participant
                                    @stefanaustria
                                    MemberContributor

heres my (imo) better landscape XML File for Cab Players …

Attachments:
                                    BorgDog
                                    Participant
                                      @borgdog
                                      MemberContributorvip

Thanks! Totally forgot about this one, the art style is definitely same folks that did Count Down? When I finally can manage an actual table buy, this will be on my list.

yup, most Gottlieb’s of the time have artwork by Gordon Morison, this one, Count Down, Joker Poker, Pinball Pool, the list goes on. A quick search on ipdb shows 149 machines from ’71 to ’80 with Gordon Morison attached to them.

STAT
                                      Participant
                                        @stefanaustria
                                        MemberContributor

BorgDog, please how can i Change back to 3-Ball ?
                                        Key 7 is ok, but then …

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

F6 brings up the Dip switch options, 3 or 5 ball is in there.

STAT
                                          Participant
                                            @stefanaustria
                                            MemberContributor

Ah ok, completely forgotten, F6 … thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?