Changing Hard Drive to SSD

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ken Lowe
    Participant
      @kenlowe

Hi Guys,

We had a strange and powerful electrical outage here, damaged several things it fried the ups for my main working pc, it fried 3 IC’s in the jukebox.  I have replaced those and its working now, but it also damaged the pinball’s pc.  The partition that was D is now E and if you try to look at drive D it chokes. The PC is working and the pinball tables run fine most everything is working but some things take a bit of time, like creating a file takes several mins and starting the pc it tries to repair D drive, but running programs it seems fine.

Ok so here is what I was thinking of doing, putting a new SSD into the pinball machine and mirroring the existing drive.  I have never done this before and was hoping someone would know of a good mirroring software, and any advice. I have backed up the files I know are important like the tables, roms, vp folder, px folder, pinupsystem, future pinball folder, steam folder and a folder of stuff I have downloaded like games not installed yet. Just “in case” it doesn’t work and I need to start with a fresh install.

Any advise would truly be appreciated

Thanks

Ken

Drybonz
      Participant
        @drybonz

Windows copy and paste.  That’s what I’ve used for many drives.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Acronis is great software very easy to use and cheap but I use clonzilla and it’s free!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Ken Lowe
          Participant
            @kenlowe

Thanks for responding,

Drybonz I am trying to get all the boot data and regedit stuff so it will boot up and be configured, not sure how to copy and paste that data. I tried to get the regedit and each file can be copied but not as a whole group and I don’t think I will be able to get everything put back correctly that’s why I think mirroring the drive would be best.

Randr, It look like Clonezilla is just for Unix/Linux and the os I am running is win10

So I am still needing advise.

Thanks

Ken

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

I’ve used reflect free/home version.   www.macrium.com/reflectfree

first you want to create a bootable reflect usb-stick and make sure your computer can boot up with it first.

1>  boot up with a usb jumpdrive reflect.

2> connect an external usb hdd to system.  and use reflect to create image of internal hdd to external usb hdd (not to the same boot usb key)

shutoff

3> discconect internal hdd and attach new internal ssd drive

4>boot up with usb jumpdrive reflect again. and this time copy from external usb hdd to new ssd drive (make sure you ‘resize and stuff’ to take all new ssd size).

1 user thanked author for this post.
              randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Clonezilla works with all operating systems. It’s really the best choice

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                for IOS and Android

Ken Lowe
                Participant
                  @kenlowe

Thank you NailBuster,

I have downloaded http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree and will get the usb stick made and get the hd mirrored onto my passport tonight, the ssd is on order but has not yet arrived. so I will need to wait for step 3 and 4. a day or two.  I’ll keep you posted

If your ever cruising around Florida stop by I will buy the beer…

Ken Lowe
                  Participant
                    @kenlowe

Randr, I was thrown off by the first sentence on the download page,

” Clonezilla Live is a small bootable GNU/Linux distribution for x86/amd64 sys…”

I get what they meant now it was written in Unix not limited to Unix/Linux”my bad”. lol

Onevox
                    Participant
                      @rooster

Nailbuster’s technique worked perfectly. :good:   I upgraded my SSD size from 128gb to 256gb.

I did have to format my bootable USB stick for WindowsPE:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Preparing+a+USB+stick+for+Windows+PE

And Macrium created a partition on the new drive that was the same size as my original SSD, so I had to use “disk management” to extend the c: drive with the unallocated space. But that was easy.

Onevox

Ken Lowe
                      Participant
                        @kenlowe

I had to do a fresh install, the hard drive was just too badly damaged…

Thalamus
                          @thalamus
                          ContributorMemberModerator

Yeah. I was about to suggest that. Cloning a bad drive to a new just doesn’t make sense B-)

Drybonez suggestion would probably shown you how well or bad the drive actually is. I would expect several tables not to work. Bit-flip is very likely etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?