color dmd for virtual (LCD) dmd

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Dr.Tom
    Participant
      @crile1
      MemberContributor

Hello, I am sure there is probably an answer for this question buried deep in the catacombs of vpinball.com or vpuniverse.com, however, I am tired of looking.  So, I am making a new attempt at trying to get color dmd to work on my cab.  I am using an LCD as a 3rd screen as my dmd.  I read the wiki by senseless and this seems very straightforward.  However, do I need to get the pin2dmd.pal  file if using LCD?  If so, where do I find this file.  Also, when he says “Create a vpinmame/altcolor/<rom name> directory”  is this the literal name of the directory, or am I creating a separate directory for each “rom name”? In other words, does my directory title include “<rom name>?  Hope this makes sense and I do realize it makes me look like an idiot to all of you more advance computer guys.   But with everything  VP and FP, I am learning as I go.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

pin2dmd.pal files contains color information that dmddevice.dll will use if found. On a standard install that would be for eg. The walking dead with rom twd_156h ….. C:\Visual_Pinball\VPinMAME\altcolor\twd_156h and yes – inside this folder the file pin2dmd.pal

There is a archive with over 400 of those ready made pin2dmd.pal files at vpu.

Didn’t know sensless made a wiki post – would like to read it.

Dr.Tom
        Participant
          @crile1
          MemberContributor

Thanks, Thal.  I got it working in vpinmame, but when I try to run the actual table through vpx (10.3), it tells me no driver located at vpinmame/dmddevice.dll.  Any ideas?

Dr.Tom
          Participant
            @crile1
            MemberContributor

I looked back in a thread about color dmd earlier this year (February) and found I am at the exact same step where I gave up.  Ugh.  I think at that time we figured it was a windows 7 issue.  Is anyone out there running color dmd’s on vp with windows 7?

Dr.Tom
            Participant
              @crile1
              MemberContributor

Ok, quick update.  I got color dmd to work, but cannot get it to work with Stern Sam games.  This stinks, because I really want to play some of those cool color dmd’s.  I installed the latest sam version (3.0 rev).  I copied and replaced with new vpinmame.dll.  The same.vbs was unchanged.  I tried replacing the dmddevice.dll with those in the PIN2DMD folder, but then kept saying could not find pin2dmd, so put the working dmddevice.dll files back and non-sam games work.  So, what am I missing?  I’m sure it has something to do with the Sam stuff.  I can still run the dmd’s in color in the vpinmame test, but the SAM games still crash when running a table.

Thalamus
                @thalamus

Did you read my wiki post again ? It contains a link to VPF with a dropbox download. It contains the files needed and pictures showing what goes where.

Pindmd3 – replacing pindmd.dll for dmddevice.dll

Since you are running LCD, you will have to adjust the dmddevice.ini slightly. It is rather obvious though. You should disable pindmd3 and enable virtual. In pinmame, you have to have use ext-dmd ticked and untick the regular internal dmd – or you get two of them. For Surf and Safari and other GTS3 games – you will need to do the opposite because there is a bug related to these that was introduced in 2.9 I believe it was.

Dr.Tom
                Participant
                  @crile1
                  MemberContributor

Well, still can’t get Stern SAM games to run with dmddevice.dll.  Question, if I’m using a virtual dmd (lcd) then all I need is the dmddevice.dll and dmddevice.ini installed, right?  I shouldn’t have to install dmdext (application file).  I’ve updated to latest vpinmame.  I have latest SAM.  But when I try to run a SAM game (not even trying the color dmd thing) it crashes VPX.  I am no longer getting an error message, it is just crashing.  For some reason the SAM games are having a hard time running through the external dmd, I guess.  I followed Senseless’s advice via PM and read a vpf thread where a guy needed to update his Windows 7, but when I tried that solution, my computer said update not needed on your device.

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    1. Yes. Only dmddevice.dll and dmddevice.ini – actually you don’t need the ini to get it to work. But, well, if you want to do more advanced stuff you’ll need it. Eg. tell where you want the DMD placed ( only useful for LCD users obviously. )
                    2. No, you don’t need the dmd-ext application. Only if you want to use dmddevice for FX2 and other pins. It can do that too.
                    3. Did you use the files and info I provided in the VPF thread ? And when it crashes – that is for all tables ?
                    4. I wish I was a mind reader – what did senseless tell you ? – doesn’t help me, helping you, telling me he told you something – then not saying what he actually told you does it ?
                    5. Update to Win7 is often a requirement when VPinmame doesn’t find the dll – yes.
                    6. Do you have the requirement for dmd-ext installed ? https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions – I think esp. on Visual C++ that is mentioned.

Dr.Tom
                    Participant
                      @crile1
                      MemberContributor

Here is what I’ve done.  dmddevice.dll, dmddevice64, and dmddevice.ini installed in vpinmame, sys32, and syswow64.  With this configuration, I can get Stern SAM games to work on rare occasion, but will usually crash.  When they crash, the dmddevice log shows that it was never activated/opened.  They ALWAYS work when tested in vpinmame.  The issue is when running table (directly from vpx…will try the front end work around you mentioned if I can get past this hurdle).

Senseless PM’d this:

Glad to hear the wiki was of value to you and you managed to get the color rom up and running via vpinmame. Did you try updating your dmddevice.dll to the latest? Are you running a pin2dmd or are you using dmdext from freezy?

Also take a look here: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=36727

Seems like a similar issue. Hope this solves it.

But that message link was about the windows 7 update that my computer does not require.

Wonder why it is crashing almost every time with SAM tables?

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

I bet you have different versions of dmddevice.dll in those locations. During development it was suggested to put dmddevice into syswow64 and other locations. Search you computer for any dmddevice.dll and get rid of them. Then start over with the files I’ve provided you – and keep only 1 copy … in VPinmame folder. I just hope that Win7 doesn’t fuck you up. Because putting a *.dll into syswow64 – windows will see that as a system dll that is to be protected and it copies into backup locations on your PC that it really doesn’t tell you about. Obviously that is fixable too. But, well – lets not go there yet.

Once you get VP working. – cross the fingers. You may use those other files I’ve provided you with and put those into pinballx and xdmd. ( And here you need to be careful, those files are NOT the same dmddevice.dll as the one from freezy ). Try solve one thing at the time.

Dr.Tom
                        Participant
                          @crile1
                          MemberContributor

So, I did what you asked and deleted all of those dmddevice.dll’s.  I then installed only the one dmddevice.dll in vpinmame.  And then I got the error again “No DMD Device Driver found” when I try to launch a table through vpx.  Once again, running the rom through vpinmame test will work.  It was only when I put the files in sys32 and syswow64 that it either would occasionally (like 3 times out of 50) work or crash trying to run the virtual dmd.

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

You need the microsoft patch. And. I don’t believe freezy ever released a dmdddevice64.dll – that is a indication that you where using the wrong dll ( probably from the folders inside vpinmame ) Those doesn’t have the functionality needed for what you are trying to achieve.

In my screenshots inside that archive – you’ll see that I’ve disabled a few *.dll – meaning, they are not needed.

Dr.Tom
                            Participant
                              @crile1
                              MemberContributor

which patch?

Thalamus
                                @thalamus

The one that you where referred to by Senseless. Link you provided me to VPF.

Dr.Tom
                                Participant
                                  @crile1
                                  MemberContributor

I tried that.  but when I went to install it, the Windows said the update was not needed on my device.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

Check installed programs – click so that you also see patches installed from M$ – you need this KB2533623.

Dr.Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @crile1
                                        MemberContributor

It says “The update is not applicable to your computer”

Dr.Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @crile1
                                          MemberContributor

nope, I was wrong…just picked the wrong file.  updating and restarting…will report back

Dr.Tom
                                          Participant
                                            @crile1
                                            MemberContributor

Installed the patch, restarted the computer.  And vpx still crashes on launch of Stern SAM tables.  I think I’m out of luck.  Not sure why it can’t seem to run the external dmd on these tables.  I’m not getting the cannot locate error.  Just crashes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?