Comet (Williams 1985) [Bord]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    bord
      @bord
      MembervipContributorModerator

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/comet-williams-1985-bord/

This started a year ago as a project to force me to learn Blender. I must have built the corkscrew ramp 8 different times trying to figure it out. Finally I can put it to bed. Would I do some things differently knowing what I know now? Sure, but I’m still proud of the results.

Thanks to @randr, @rothbauerw, and @32assassin for their (significant) contributions to the script. Thanks to @flupper for lots of good Blender advice along the way.

Total of 64 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      Ben Logan2
      Participant
        @benlogan2

Wow, Bord. This looks beautiful. Super stoked to have two great versions of this underrated classic. Friday night fun!

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Maybe I should expect this table ever since I saw the stitching job for the playfield a while ago. Agree with Ben. Nothing wrong with having two “copies” of the same table. It is not like the pins play exactly the same in the wild anyway. Looking forward to play your version Bord.

Thank you very much. It looks really nice – not a surprise, coming from you. :rose:   :good:

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Thanks Bord!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

bord
              @bord

Thanks Bord!

Thank YOU. Couldn’t have done it without you.

Nothing wrong with having two “copies” of the same table. It is not like the pins play exactly the same in the wild anyway.

Right, sliderpoint’s version is excellent. This is just another take on Comet. Everyone is going to interpret it differently.

2 users thanked author for this post.
              Ben Logan2
              Participant
                @benlogan2

You really nailed the effect created when the GI turns off in response to hitting the million shot ramp. Inserts still shine through nice and bright. Very nice!

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

I really like the lighting effects! Great version of comet for sure. I will be keeping both in my cab no surprise I’m sure

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

TNT2
                  Participant
                    @tnt2

Love this table!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    the_greeze
                    Participant
                      @thegreeze

Very nice, thank you!  :yahoo:

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

After playing roughly 10 games I became a bit annoyed at the right side drain from sw25. Look at the table, you have set it already to have a difficulty of 100% so I was a bit surprised to see that I more or less got at persistent kick-out that ended up in the right out-lane.  I might have been very unlucky, getting more or less the same kick over and over again. It is after all a computer that has a tendency to put the ball in the same pattern if the values are the same. I expect that changing the kick-out by a degree or two might reduce the amount of drains.

I have no experience with the real table. So, please tell me if this happens often on the original. I implemented a extra old school randomness to line 173.

bsCycleSaucer.InitSaucer sw25,25, 260+rnd(1)*3, 8+rnd(1)*3

Except for this annoyance. I must say. This is pure fun, just as Mike’s version. Big thumbs up Bord ! :good:

bord
                          @bord

I’ve played 100 games on this thing and I’ve never noticed that before. I wanted it to play tough but not with predictable failure like that. I’ll let any other problems shake out this week and update with some randomness after that.

Draifet
                          Participant
                            @draifet

Super nice table, I love the crisp decals compared with the other VPX version (another master piece).

Just a minor suggestion, almost all the wire gates ara tagged as static and then don’t move when the ball pass through.

I feel a little sorry cause there are VP tables that they look so old compared with the recent ones u are doing, but lately I have to choose between 2 versions of the same already very good recent table, lol, hard to decide wich one to play.

bord
                              @bord

WTF. They shouldn’t be set to static. No idea how that happened. Yes, all mesh gate wires should not be static. I’ll upload a correction later today.

Micronaut
                              Participant
                                @micronaut

excellent, :good:

great job in graphics, lighting and physics, congratulations Bord and everyone involved   :yes:

The Loafer
                                Participant
                                  @theloafer

I just gave it a run and yeah, I’m joining the “keep two copies of Comet on the pincab” train because I love Sliderpoint’s table and now I love yours as well.  They DO play completely differently, both very different takes on this excellent table.  If there’s one area I have to give you super pops is that it plays a meaner game, so maybe a bit more realistic scoring on this one and a valid reason to go back and forth between both. That’s not a knock on Sliderpoint’s effort, I just look at it in this case as one arcade owner is a sadistic bastard who caters to pinball tournaments (Bord) and one has a “welcome all” on the front of his arcade (SP) LOL

Personally, I tended to visit sadistic bastard arcades a lot back in the day :)

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

It’s a Papa modified table vs a regular one :)

Clark Kent
                                    Participant
                                      @clarkkent
                                      MemberContributor

What I’d really like to see would be a scanned pf and plastics! Not in my collection…

Sven34
                                      Participant
                                        @sven34

Thank you very much for Comet  :good:

rothbauerw
                                          @rothbauerw
                                          ModeratorContributorMembervip

The lighting on this table is suberb!  I would say you’ve figured the whole blender thing out.  Great job on the ramps!

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

bord
                                            @bord

What I’d really like to see would be a scanned pf and plastics! Not in my collection…

Kinda goes without saying, doesn’t it? Maybe we need a bot on this site that shitposts any project not made with scans.

4/5 of the plastics are from scans and I busted my ass to get the rest but no one was able to supply them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?