DOF flippers setting power in configtool

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AndersE
    Participant
      @anderse

Today there are no settings for the flippers. Only droptargets etc..

But as many people use ledwiz for dof i had a thought.. or had for a long time.

I miss the hum (buzz) flippers make when you hold them energized, at least they hum on old EM pinballs (ac hum), perhaps modern pins use

dc.. anyways.. With Ledblinkys test you can set the pwm. And when pwm is set to less than (49 max?), then the solenoids hum.

I want that hum when i press my flippers.. Anybody know what i mean?

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Funny you bring this up as I was just talking to another member about similar thing last night!

i prefer to run sound with flippers so I get the sound and the feel just seems better to me as the contractors give a great feel but sound nothing like a solenoid so the sound just works great along with real feedback in my opinion

I’ll also say I don’t like running things like flippers at less then proper voltage.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

Funny you bring this up as I was just talking to another member about similar thing last night! i prefer to run sound with flippers so I get the sound and the feel just seems better to me as the contractors give a great feel but sound nothing like a solenoid so the sound just works great along with real feedback in my opinion I’ll also say I don’t like running things like flippers at less then proper voltage.

While I don’t run PMD…I think that this instance of using PMD with flipper sounds (and a hummmm sound added if the table doesn’t have it), may work nicely together.

Personally… I think the best thing to do from the beginning of DOF’s creation….would have been to have dedicated BUMPER specific output / solenoids just like we have with flipper and slingshots.   This way, we would always have the same (three?) outputs for bumpers.   This would allow for (what I would consider the best feedback option) guys who install REAL flippers, bumpers, and slings to get all tables mapped correctly to their bumpers as well.  Like the Star Wars Wedgehead build. (love that build)

Arngrim
          Participant
            @arngrim
            DOF MinisterMember

at least what i’m trying to do, for all dof config updates, i separate what does not belong to flipper feedback to slinghots contactors, so maybe one day all configs will have only flipper solenoids to flipper contactors

But also, for 99% of the rom tables, left flipper is S48 and right is S46, for stern sam, it is S15 and S16, and for the EM and Originals i tru to respect E101 and E102, so you know which solenoids there are

for the hummm mech sounds, it is not muted by the controller.vbs, so if someone implements it in the table, that’s could be fine for you?

TerryRed
              @terryred

at least what i’m trying to do, for all dof config updates, i separate what does not belong to flipper feedback to slinghots contactors, so maybe one day all configs will have only flipper solenoids to flipper contactors But also, for 99% of the rom tables, left flipper is S48 and right is S46, for stern sam, it is S15 and S16, and for the EM and Originals i tru to respect E101 and E102, so you know which solenoids there are for the hummm mech sounds, it is not muted by the controller.vbs, so if someone implements it in the table, that’s could be fine for you?

What you are doing is fine Arngrim (and I followed your example).  I think this topic is kind of a “what if” type scenario.

Arngrim
              Participant
                @arngrim
                DOF MinisterMember

i think it is possible with the cabinet.xml options to define an intensity for a certain port in a controller.

There are quite some obscure options that almost no one knows outside the configtool, check the dof documentation here

http://directoutput.github.io/DirectOutput/index.html

TerryRed
                  @terryred

i think it is possible with the cabinet.xml options to define an intensity for a certain port in a controller. There are quite some obscure options that almost no one knows outside the configtool, check the dof documentation here http://directoutput.github.io/DirectOutput/index.html

DDH69 updated DOFLinx (a while ago) to allow for intensity level to be set for all feedback devices.  This included solenoids for flippers, bumpers, etc.   It was mainly intended for gear or shaker motor, but since the function was there he added it for all outputs.

Arngrim
                  Participant
                    @arngrim
                    DOF MinisterMember

but this is not for vp right?

TerryRed
                      @terryred

but this is not for vp right?

DOFLinx is more for FP and FX2.  I was just pointing out that the intensity features for solenoid outputs of DOF can be used (and DOFLinx does allow it), and it is one of those obscure features your were probably talking about.

AndersE
                      Participant
                        @anderse

Funny you bring this up as I was just talking to another member about similar thing last night! i prefer to run sound with flippers so I get the sound and the feel just seems better to me as the contractors give a great feel but sound nothing like a solenoid so the sound just works great along with real feedback in my opinion I’ll also say I don’t like running things like flippers at less then proper voltage.

The voltage is the same when using pwm, it’s the on-off time that changes. And solenoids do not get damaged by pwm’ing them (contactors are aslo solenoids). The droptargets are pwm’ed and they are also solenoids. I have different levels set to them and it works really good. Softer “thud” for droptargets and louder “thuds” for slinshots.

Old pinballs used AC 50/60hz and AC swings between full power and zero power in 50/60hz so… ;) It was not dangerous for them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?