DOF randomly not working when table starts

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Scooby
    Participant
      @scooby

@wrd1972, After recently doing a clean install of Window 7, I have VP tables and DOF working well together…except when launched from PinballX. All DOF toys work when VP is launched through the VP editor. When PinballX is running, my coin and start buttons are lit and I get effects from my RGB lights when scrolling through tables. However, when I launch tables from PBX, DOF is not working. I have checked that I have the PBX DOF plugin installed and checked. Before my recent Windows 7 install, I was running DOF R2 and everything worked, including DOF when launched through PinballX. Now it doesn’t work. I’m considering reinstalling DOF and stopping at version R2 to see if this fixes it for me. Is there something I can check that worked for you (before I reinstall DOF to R2)? Thanks!

I have not run R3 on my cab at all. So cant really speak to that. I have had so many PBX issues I have kind of lost track of what fixed what. The last solution to my PBX issues was to disable ALL Anti-virus and Malware blockers. Add added PBX to a white list and there has been bliss ever since. Are you referring to the DOF NOT working when using PBX…for the browsing of tables or for the table itself?

I was having a heck of a time with my clean Windows 7 install. I reinstalled everything VP related, PinballX and DOF R3. DOF would run fine most of the time from the VP editor, but not all the time. When launching tables from PBX, DOF would run on some, but not most.  Then to make everything even more confusing, DOF would work sometimes when launched from PBX.

After lots of digging around, I found that my PBX config file was corrupt and I could no longer open the PBX Settings app. After reinstalling PBX, the Settings app now works again. I then uninstalled DOF and did a fresh install and stopped at R2. Everything seems to be working, except when I scroll through tables in PBX, my DOF flashers no longer flash. My front cab buttons (start, coin) work in PBX, but the flashers do not. I tested the flashers in VPX and they work, just not in PBX attract mode.

This one is not a big deal, however it used to work (when I was running DOF R2 before the clean Windows install)…so I would like to figure how to get the feature back.

I checked the DOF config tool for PBX and everything seems the same. My flashers are listed where they should be, but still no flashers in PBX attract mode.

Any thoughts on how I can get the flashers to work in PBX attract mode?

Thanks guys.

wrd1972
      Participant
        @wrd1972
        MembervipContributor

@zeblon

Sweet. I will be interested in the SS “relay boards. Replacing burned out relays on a Sainsmart board is a MFPITA!

Will they be 8-relay boards? I sure hope so.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

@zebulon ^^

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Scooby
          Participant
            @scooby

Well, I have been able to get the DOF flashers working in PBX, but I’m not sure how. All these programs running together seem fragile sometimes. When working, it’s a lot of fun. When one thing causes a hiccup, it can be so frustrating…because I just want to play!

Anyway, if I figure out what exactly fixed the issue, I’ll edit my post.

wrd1972
            Participant
              @wrd1972
              MembervipContributor

Just hang in there. I persevered, drank, cussed and occasionally threw shit but I think I am at peace with my cab.

Frustrating for sure.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

@scooby I have no idea how the calls are done between pbx and dof but, could it be that this patch from m$ is of any help ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26767

Tried different USB ports ? Hubs ?

Scooby
                Participant
                  @scooby

Thanks guys.  Good to know I’m not the only one who encounters these hiccups and frustrations from time to time. I’ll hang on to the MS update link if something goes wrong again in the future.

Zeb
                  Participant
                    @zebulon

@zeblon Sweet. I will be interested in the SS “relay boards. Replacing burned out relays on a Sainsmart board is a MFPITA! Will they be 8-relay boards? I sure hope so.

Yup, they’ll be 8 output.  :good:

I know so little about everything that I could tell you all there is to know about nothing

bord
                      @bord
                      MembervipContributorModerator

@zeblon Sweet. I will be interested in the SS “relay boards. Replacing burned out relays on a Sainsmart board is a MFPITA! Will they be 8-relay boards? I sure hope so.

Yup, they’ll be 8 output. :good:

Be sure and stop by to let us know when they’re available. I’m sure I’m in for one (or two).

Tyson
                      Participant
                        @tyson171

Any idea what fixed your guys problem?  I’m having the exact same issue now.  If I launch certain tables in visual pinball editor, DOF won’t work, but if i exit the table, and then reenter without closing visual pinball, DOF starts working.

Been working forever fine tuning FX3 DOF, finally got it all working, then come back and DOF isn’t working properly in Visual Pinball. I just can’t win with this cabinet.

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

Seems to always be a virus protection issue, permission issue or double install issue. Start by checking those first..or triple checking those

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

Tyson
                          Participant
                            @tyson171

I don’t have any AV installed, i checked to make sure no files were unblocked, not sure what the double install issue is exactly?  I know i have mine setup with “I think” i’m not in front of my machine right now, but i think its like this –

Virtual Pinball Install directory – (This is the default program files x86 location)

Then in the B2S folder i have a shortcut to my C: drive that has a root folder called DirectOutput.  I might just try installing DOF right to the B2S folder, instead of using a shortcut to my C: drive.  And then just leave the DirectOutput folder in my C drive just for FX3 since thats all working.

Thoughts? Or is this the wrong way to go about it.

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Windows 10? If so move install to root or you will have permission issues unless you set permissions properly. Do you for sure have windows defender turned off?

b2s folder? Not sure what that is but b2s server should be in tables folder and in tables folder a plugins folder with shortcut  to dof folder is needed

for IOS and Android

wrd1972
                              Participant
                                @wrd1972
                                MembervipContributor

The solution to all of my major DOF issues was to run the pair of 8-relay Sainsmart boards through a powered hub INSTEAD of plugging them directly into the PC. Prior to this, the boards would crap out at random all of the time when playing tables.

I dont quite remember what I did to fix the actual issue I posted in this thread though.

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

I dont quite remember what I did to fix the actual issue I posted in this thread though.

You start sounding like myself m8 !

Tyson
                                  Participant
                                    @tyson171

Windows 10? If so move install to root or you will have permission issues unless you set permissions properly. Do you for sure have windows defender turned off? b2s folder? Not sure what that is but b2s server should be in tables folder and in tables folder a plugins folder with shortcut to dof folder is needed

Windows 7, checked tonight, Tables folder has b2s server in that folder, and the tables folder has a plugins folder with a shortcut to the DOF folder in the root of c.

Windows defender was actually enabled (thought I had this disabled), but has been disabled.

I actually just figured out what was wrong, so I was using DJrobx (or something similar to that) DOF R3 beta from vpforums for some reason.  That actually broke my DOF for VP for whatever reason.  I just used the DOF R3 version here from this site, and everything just started working again!

I did change up the install a little bit also, i’m not using the shortcut to the root of C anymore, I installed DOF directly to the plugins folder (sub folder DirectOutput).  This way I can run two different versions of DOF, one for FX3 in my root of C, and another one in the plugins folder just for Visual Pinball.

Thanks for the help!

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

Great! Glad you figured it out and reported the fix!

for IOS and Android

wrd1972
                                      Participant
                                        @wrd1972
                                        MembervipContributor

Well here we go again with the original issue. DOF wont work on the first game played. But if I close the table, restart it the second time, DOF works fine.

So, I am still running a pair of Sainsmart 8-relay boards, and the Zebs Deluxe plunger that has a function based off of the Sainsmart too, thats used for the lighted cab buttons. So thats three Sainsmart boards that need to run, when the table is started.

So when a table starts, most of the time, one of the three boards will activate properly, but not the other two. Or sometimes, all three will activate. And even sometime, none of the the three. Its all freaking random. But close the table, restart the table, all three activate perfectly, and everything is golden. So it just seems like the boards are not activating like they should, when they should. Not sure how that activation process works???

SO I have done the following:

• Removed all AV…problem remains
                                        • Reinstalled DOF 3++…problem remains
                                        • Reinstalled the FTDI driver for the three Sainsmarts…problem remains
                                        • Tried different USB inputs…problem remains
                                        • Tried different USB cables…problem remains

So IMO, the Sainsmarts are not initializing and or activating, when the table starts…the first time. But they do activate the second time?

Really tired of this issue, and cant really figure out what has changed since. Any ideas?

pigsniper
                                        Participant
                                          @pigsniper

I have the same issue.  I’m using Zebs ez install basic kit which is recognized as 2 sainsmart boards.  A lot of times I have to exit the table and when I restart the table DOF all works.  I did not have this problem in DOF R2 and only wanted to update to R3++ because of doflinx updates for fx3. I’ve tried the auto config and using my own cabinet.xml, still no luck with it working every time. When it fails, DOF can’t connect to the sainsmart boards but everything else looks good.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Im not a fan of sainsmart but almost has to be a usb issue?

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?