DOFLinx Future Pinball WIP tables: Let us know what tables you are working on!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

Wow…this is a record…even for SLAM….

He posted Star Wars Death Star Assault (Ultimate 1.01) today, which is awesome btw…. and it’s already down, because he’s updating it to 1.02

For anyone who doesn’t goto his site….the issue is, if SLAM is doing any kind of update to a table…. even though the previous version worked great….he takes the previous version offline until the new version comes out. Problem is….sometimes that can take a long time….days, weeks, months….years?  So if you didn’t get a table when it was released…better hope it’s not due for an update!   :)

TerryRed
        @terryred

Tron Legacy (Stern) (Ultimate Edition 1.01) DOFLinx is done.

Having my SSD in my cabinet die, which meant losing everything I did on the cab over the last 3 months (except for DOFLinx stuff) is what held me up.

Now, I’m starting to put the video together, and then I’ll tidy everything up and upload the table.   The only thing I couldn’t do, was add any custom lighting effects for the last mode of the game (getting to the portal), because in order to get to that point, you must do a couple of specific skill shots which I can’t do…. because I suck, and I can’t do them with the ball roller  :)

Will have it here in time for the holidays guys. It’s a great table…. a bit different than the original Stern according to SLAM, and that’s OK by me since we have a great VPX version that’s more like the arcade, and SLAM’s version is more sexy in many ways!

TerryRed
          @terryred

Tron Legacy (Stern) (Ultimate 1.01) (DOFLinx)   is done…and uploaded.    Just waiting for approval.

Watch an amazing video of this excellent ALL NEW table…while waiting!  :)

TerryRed
            @terryred

I don’t know if you guys realize this….but I actually don’t even hear these games while I record them. I have the speakers turned off. The only thing I hear is the noise of the solenoids from the cabinet. The game sound is recorded with the playfield capture, and then I sync everything up afterward. This allows for much better sound in the video. I get to know these tables real well while doing the mods. I imagine what voices or sounds are played in my head so I don’t talk over them.  :)

Dr.Tom
            Participant
              @crile1
              MemberContributor

Great job on the Tron table, Terry.  It really pops.  You continue to improve/evolve.  I truly appreciate the way that you integrate the lights and toys into the game.  And that is quite a feat, given the nuances that SLAM puts into his tables.  Dead Hunters is almost done.  Just polishing it up a bit.  Man, that table has a lot of code.  But, I really feel that DOFLinx upgrades this game by a country mile.  That is what I love about adding DOFLinx to the original tables.  Some of these lesser known tables and themes kind of just look and play “meh” because there is no real world nostalgia or comparison to get you excited.  But DOFLinx can really bring out the unique qualities of some of these games.  For sure, Dead Hunters is getting one heck of an upgrade. Just having the “pop” of a solenoid with every target hit alone brings the game alive.  If you have a shaker, than this one will rock you.

TerryRed
                @terryred

Great job on the Tron table, Terry. It really pops. You continue to improve/evolve. I truly appreciate the way that you integrate the lights and toys into the game. And that is quite a feat, given the nuances that SLAM puts into his tables. Dead Hunters is almost done. Just polishing it up a bit. Man, that table has a lot of code. But, I really feel that DOFLinx upgrades this game by a country mile. That is what I love about adding DOFLinx to the original tables. Some of these lesser known tables and themes kind of just look and play “meh” because there is no real world nostalgia or comparison to get you excited. But DOFLinx can really bring out the unique qualities of some of these games. For sure, Dead Hunters is getting one heck of an upgrade. Just having the “pop” of a solenoid with every target hit alone brings the game alive. If you have a shaker, than this one will rock you.

I know a bunch of people would love to see Dead Hunters and 3 Angels get that cab vibe….so it should prove popular.  Some of these FP tables have almost complete video games within them.  Everyone does their code a little different. While my methods have definitely evolved, using the basics like in my tutorial will work with pretty much any table. It’s when you get into wanting that extra oomph or polish…that takes a while.

Tables like Dead Hunters or 3 Angels won’t probably ever get updated….so taking the extra time to polish them will be worth it.

Dr.Tom
                Participant
                  @crile1
                  MemberContributor

You are right, Terry.  I always start with just the basics first.  But in doing so, I end up going through most of the code and get a feel for how the table was designed and the thought process involved.  It’s usually not until I start thinking of the lights and toys that I really begin to consider getting creative.  Then I can try to design something merely more than a single flash for each object.  The more I do this, the more I am learning to understand the code and the more I am trying to get a little more detailed to provide a more immersing experience.  I think you nailed th as the aspect with your latest Tron game (with a lot of help from Slam).  When you hit start and the rgb’s, game lights, arcade startup sound effects, and Journey all kick in, it immediately pulls you into the experience, not just a pin.  One of the most creative touches I’ve seen with any game.

TerryRed
                    @terryred

So many times, I would think I’m done a table…  just to do some play testing and see something new and be like “Doh, now I GOTTA have an effect for that!”

With SLAM’s there’s soooo many sound files that he uses….little things like the “DUN DUN!” in Jaws, that makes it worth trying to have flashes match the sound. I’m a big fan of that stuff. Spider-man table does that too with the Spider-man theme… I love it! Sometimes I add things in just for one sound file….so you don’t always see everything I’ve done in my videos.

Josh
                    Participant
                      @osujd

Hi Terry

You seem to be the foremost expert on Future Pinball tables.  I have seen a significant improvement over the last two years on the Physics of FP.  I tried running the Dr. Dude table out on BAM and I must say zed physics is as close as I have seen to VP physics.  I have tried some 2.7 tables but they seem like a step back from Zed.  Have you seen this too or am I just playing the wrong tables.  Playing Dr. Dude with the Kinect2 and Bam is as close to feeling like I am playing a real table as I have experienced.

TerryRed
                        @terryred

Hi Terry You seem to be the foremost expert on Future Pinball tables. I have seen a significant improvement over the last two years on the Physics of FP. I tried running the Dr. Dude table out on BAM and I must say zed physics is as close as I have seen to VP physics. I have tried some 2.7 tables but they seem like a step back from Zed. Have you seen this too or am I just playing the wrong tables. Playing Dr. Dude with the Kinect2 and Bam is as close to feeling like I am playing a real table as I have experienced.

I’m not the FP physics expert…those guys are over at gopinbal. GeorgeH seems to be very up to date and even does his own custom physics for tables.

That being said, some newer Zed tables really do play excellent… I used to brush them off in the early days before I understood how BAM and physics files worked, but some of them are really nice. It does very much feel like a VPX table with a more heavy ball,etc…

It’s not as simple as…hey I want to get 2.7 physics for this table, so I’ll use a 2.7 xml file for it.   If the table wasn’t created and tuned for 2.7, then it may play horribly. For Zed, its a bit more complicated, as sometimes people will use invisible 2nd flippers,etc…

As an example…. I just recently released the all new table Tron Legacy (Stern) (Ultimate) DOFLinx – Cabinet Edition.   This table just got released for the first time ever by SLAMT1LT, and is NOT the same as the older rom, GLXB, Fransicso666 table.  After I was done modding the table for DOFLinx, out of curiosity, I tried playing the older rom, GLXB, Fransico666 table…. and man it was a night and day difference! the older table simply plays horrible by comparison!

As SLAM put it….he knows FP’s strengths and weakness… it’s much easier for him to make an original table for FP that will play well, compared to trying to recreate an arcade pinball game which will play terrible by comparison…

I think alot of people just want a plug an play solution… whereas others who know better can reap the rewards of amazing originals that now are getting full cabinet feedback and lighting support.

I used to be someone who just wanted arcade pinball games….but now I’m really loving FP originals, and some VP originals too. Who knows…maybe in my 4+ months of military isolation from my cabinet…. I may be inspired in trying to create some sort of table…. on my crappy 7 year old laptop   :(

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        TerryRed
                          @terryred

…and now Star War Death Star Assault 1.02 DOFLinx mod commences / continues. I personally really like his Empire Edition, and that will eventually get a big update from SLAM….but I’ll be gone by then and Dr. Tom can do that one if he still wants to… if he’s not busy with something like 3 Angels….

TerryRed
                            @terryred

Ok….so I’ll be gone for the next 5 days visiting family for the holidays.

Star Wars Death Star Assault is mostly done and is looking real nice. I’ve got a lot of unique x-wing and tie fighter blasts and explosions all working very nicely to the sound effects and video….as well as the lightsabers.

It seems SLAM is updating the table…again… so I will have to transfer all of what I have done to that update….which will hopefully be done by the time I get back.

Dr.Tom
                            Participant
                              @crile1
                              MemberContributor

Dead Hunters is up.  I think I’m ready for 3 Angels.  But, you never know, something may catch my eye first.

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

3 angles next. Please.

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

********************************************************

senseless
                                Participant
                                  @senseless

I did not have a lot of time for FP and DOFLinx as I was busy with my PIN2DMD installation :). Luckily this one is almost done and I want to get back to FP Doffing. A Nightmare on Elm Street – ULTIMATE 1.06 is out, if no one is working on this one I will code the force feedback. Currently finalizing Flash Gordon.

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

I did not have a lot of time for FP and DOFLinx as I was busy with my PIN2DMD installation :). Luckily this one is almost done and I want to get back to FP Doffing. A Nightmare on Elm Street – ULTIMATE 1.06 is out, if no one is working on this one I will code the force feedback. Currently finalizing Flash Gordon.

I know Nightmare isn’t “complete” yet according to SLAM…. he still has to finish some of the modes….and I know there are a couple bugs I’ve found myself as well….

I also know that his Back to the Future table and LOTR are getting updated as well….and so is Transformers….

He should be releasing Bond 50 very soon though!

That being said….if you want to do the current version of a table, go for it. I know myself…. I started working on Star Wars DSA, and was 3/4 done and he had a big update that he just released. Took a few hours to transfer my work to the new updated table, as you gotta be careful of any changes he may have done (I had to change a couple of things).

Starting next weekend, I will be away from the cabinet for about 4 months, except maybe on weekends. (I’m an electronics tech for the Canadian military, and I’ll be gone for training) My plan was to possibly try to do some DOFLinx FP mods during the weekdays (as best I can without a cabinet), and then come home on weekends and test.

If anyone is planning on doing any FP DOFLinx table mods….please try to let me know about it here before you start, as I may be away from Internet access during alot of the weekdays, starting next weekend….and I don’t want to start a table that someone else is already doing.

I know when Transformers is finally released I wanted to jump on that one.

If I plan to do specific tables I will let you know about it here and / or on the DOFLinx forums at vpforums as well, when I have access to the Internet.

senseless
                                    Participant
                                      @senseless

I will do a basic version then with nothing fancy (read time consuming) and if the next version is uploaded (could take a long time) I will update it with more mode enabled force feedback.

Good luck with the training :).

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Well, I will have a surprise most likely tomorrow.  SLAM allowed me to get the Star Wars DSA 1.04 update ahead of time so I could finish the mod before I leave for training for a few months.

I had 1.02 half done a while back, then 1.03 came out over the holidays. I transferred over the mod over to 1.03 and had it all done right before he posted about his new 1.04 update….doh! I normally wait a while before starting a mod on a table that he is currently updating…but my time was running short.

So today he gave me the new update ahead of time. I transferred over the mod to 1.04 (takes about 3-4 hours because of testing, the changes, etc), and made some additional changes to match with his updates….

…and it’s done!

However, I won’t release the table until he releases his original version on his own site, which may be tomorrow…. let’s hope!

Until then…. I am currently editing a demo video of the table which I will upload as soon as it’s done. I had to do this video in one take real quickly, as my time to have no background noise was running out!

Dr.Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @crile1
                                          MemberContributor

I finally got to work on 3 Angels.  I kinda started and stopped a few times.  I just couldn’t get motivated.  But go the flippers, slings, kickers, and shaker done and now I’m back in the zone.  I love how these games come alive when adding DOFLINX.  I do have two questions for the other guys (TerryRed, Senseless, etc).  First, are times for things being on/off same for FP and DOFLinx (i.e is 4000 = 4000 for a timed event on a toy)?  The reason I ask is that I try to time the shaker to the spinners.  But seems the shaker lasts longer.  I’ve timed the shaker to match the spinner.pulse timer.  But seems off.  Second, I tried to add a timer to the backglass for the usual DOFTimer stuff, but it would not let me.  Said it already had maxed out on objects (800) and that I could not add anymore.  Now, I don’t find this hard to believe, because if you’ve ever seen 3 Angels or looked at the playfield before loading the game, you will see it is PACKED with stuff.  So, unless there is away to add more objects, I’ll just have to do dedicated flashers and no fancy animations for the lighting effects.

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

I finally got to work on 3 Angels. I kinda started and stopped a few times. I just couldn’t get motivated. But go the flippers, slings, kickers, and shaker done and now I’m back in the zone. I love how these games come alive when adding DOFLINX. I do have two questions for the other guys (TerryRed, Senseless, etc). First, are times for things being on/off same for FP and DOFLinx (i.e is 4000 = 4000 for a timed event on a toy)? The reason I ask is that I try to time the shaker to the spinners. But seems the shaker lasts longer. I’ve timed the shaker to match the spinner.pulse timer. But seems off. Second, I tried to add a timer to the backglass for the usual DOFTimer stuff, but it would not let me. Said it already had maxed out on objects (800) and that I could not add anymore. Now, I don’t find this hard to believe, because if you’ve ever seen 3 Angels or looked at the playfield before loading the game, you will see it is PACKED with stuff. So, unless there is away to add more objects, I’ll just have to do dedicated flashers and no fancy animations for the lighting effects.

If you use the standard original Future Pinball.exe, you are limited to 800 objects when you are editing….

However, if you use either SLAM’s 2.7 Future Pinball.exe, or the Zed x641.1 Future Pinball.exe, that object limit has been removed, and you can use up to almost 3000!

I just noticed that my Star Wars DSA DOFLinx mod has over 800! I just checked, and Iron Man and Aliens Legacy are also over 800.  I just tried running them with just the bare bones normal Future Pinball.exe with and without BAM, and sure enough…it will show that it has 809+ out of 800 objects….but it runs completely fine anyway.

I’ve always used either SLAM’s or Zed’s Future Pinball.exe to do the mods (and a newer versiojn of BAM to avoid the black text bug), so that’s why I never noticed it before, but apparently it’s not a problem either way.

So give that a try Tom. I tried it with 3 Angels real quick, and sure enough…that table has 799 objects on it…haha.  Using either SLAM’s EXE or Zed’s EXE seems to work fine with it. Anyone who is using a cabinet will have a newer patched version of Future Pinball.exe (that gets rid of the object limit and the watermark on the playfield), so its not a big deal.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 104 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?