Fathom (Bally 1981) Vintage Mod

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    vogliadicane
    Participant
      @vogliadicane

Fathom (Bally 1981) Vintage Mod

my first table.
      this is a heavy mod based on 32assassin‘s great Fathom, which is based on Unclewilly‘s version, so all credits and thanks go to these two.

What I did:
      – completely remade playfield in 4k resolution (by stitching images from the web and partially redrawing, even bought a font for that job!)
      – completely remade plastics in 4k resolution (same way)
      – made new bumper caps from scratch
      – reworked or changed many objects, images and materials
      – completely remade all lights and illumination
      – apron reworked
      – “live” mirror metal wall at the top (only the ball is not reflected, don’t know, how to do that)
      – and many other things, I don’t remember anymore

Physics (only minor changes):
      – made the table slightly slower
      – ! repositioned the rubber posts at the wicked vertical outlane, so that there’s at least a small chance so save the ball from draining by nudging ! Btw, this is also the case for the real table as seen in videos on the web, so no cheating.

The aim of this version was to get it as close to the original vintage table (yellow tint, vintage light bulbs a.s.o)
      As I already mentiond in the WIP thread, I will also make a second version, which will look like a polished Fathom with LED lights, plastics and playfield repros a.s.o.
      The desktop view needs a liitle more work, but is already quite ok now. Maybe I’ll release an update in the future.
      Big thanks go to roar, who provided me with images of plastics and to all the cool people, who made and contributed to VP and the great always helping community!

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

Damn, that is one nice looking playfield!  Rest of it looks pretty good too!   :good:

Couple little things, you are missing a material on the bumper rings, and the lights cutting through the middle of the drop targets look a little.. odd… I reshaped them on my copy so they didn’t stick through the drops.

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

This is visually very impressive work. Great job on the details and overall feel of the thing.

It would be cool if the “Game Over” reflection on the plastics disappears when the Game Over light turns off on the backglass.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Ah. There it is – been waiting for this to be releases. Once again – thank you very much !

Very curious of the physics changes.

Rajo Joey
            Participant
              @joey2001

Great artwork and wonderful to play. :yahoo:

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Congrats on your first build! Hope its not your last! very nice art

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                for IOS and Android

vogliadicane
                Participant
                  @vogliadicane

@BorgDog: Thanks for the heads up. I assume you mean the drop targets on the left side and you are in DT view. If so, you’re right, as I mentioned the DT view needs more work. I’ll work this out later.

@bord
                  : agree, that would be nice, I’ll think about it.

BorgDog
                  Participant
                    @borgdog
                    MemberContributorvip

Actually I meant the center 3 drops in any view.  the lights behind them extend through the middle of them, see below.

droplights

Attachments:
                    TNT2
                    Participant
                      @tnt2

Wow. This looks great. Thanks.

TXT11
                      Participant
                        @txt11

Simply wonderful toned-down visuals that add so much to the realism of this table.  Playing this table makes me feel like I am playing as a 14 y.o. again. :yahoo:

vogliadicane
                        Participant
                          @vogliadicane

@BorgDog funny, actually I liked the outcome this way. I thought, this looks like the upper part is solid plasic whereas the lower part is only thin plasic walls to save costs. Actually i’m not quite sure, why the light transmits only the lower part, i thoght it’s in the nature of VP’s dd target objects and meant to be like this. As i mentioned, I’m just a beginner and still in the trial and error phase. I’ll think about it. :)

BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

The light is not actually transmitting.  Light objects are only 2D, so basically a flat disc of “light”  The crisp line you see there is just where the disc cuts the drop target, I think you have height 28 on those so that is where it sticks through the target, what looks like light coming through the lower part is just looking through the light that is around it.  If you go into camera mode and move inclination up and down you can see how that works better.

The 2D lighting is about the biggest limitation to vpx I think at this point and people do lots of different things to get the lighting to look right at reasonable views, but if you change the views inclination too much then things start to look not right, fortunately most people stick to a reasonable range of viewpoints even between desktop and FS.

All that being said, if you like how it looks run with it, fun table btw played a few games yesterday.  :good:

vogliadicane
                            Participant
                              @vogliadicane

very good explanation, thanks. Thought this is only the case for non-bulb lights.

You got me to an idea: I’ll limit the bulb lights, so they don’t influence the dtargets. And I add some surface dependent lights on the playfield with those shadow cut-outs for non-dropped targets. This would mean 8 twin-sets of differentially cut-out lights for every combination possible, turned on-off depending on, which dtarget is down or up. Might add some more realism. I’ll experiment with this… but later… now, after a phase of table making I want to use my cab for playing and just having fun again for some time :)

Reason for those many edits: I’m using such an old and cheap substitute keyboard atm, that you have to hack the keys like on those old mech type writers…

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              bord
                                @bord
                                MembervipContributorModerator

Great to hear there will be future updates, @vogliadicane. Adding light cut-outs around the drop targets will be icing on the cake. It is always such a nice effect.

Ben Logan2
                                Participant
                                  @benlogan2

Vogliadicane,

I really love what you’ve done with the look of this one. Lighting reminds me of the Zaccaria iOS app (of which I’m a huge fan). Really warm looking.

I like the backglass reflection on the playfield. Especially like the illuminated rollovers.

Thanks for this awesome mod. Wonderful work. I hope you’ll lend your talents to another.

:)

Luddite
                                  Participant
                                    @luddite

The table looks absolutely fantastic, but I have a one problem. When I turn the table to 0 inclination the insides of the mermaid traps suddenly disappear. How can that be?

vogliadicane
                                    Participant
                                      @vogliadicane

hmm, you mean the saucer holes? Actually I don’t know. Just don’t set it to 0 …  :yes:

rotrax
                                      Participant
                                        @rotrax

oh one of the best tables just got better. This looks just like the one I played when I was a kid… many thanx :bye:

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

table looks good on cab! thanks for this one(yeah late to party)

********************************************************
                                          Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                          for IOS and Android

********************************************************

rothbauerw
                                            @rothbauerw
                                            ModeratorContributorMembervip

table looks good on cab! thanks for this one(yeah late to party)

Was this the first time you’ve been at your cab since this was released?  B-)

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?