Firepower (Drop Target Mod) – (Williams 1980)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    DarthMarino
    Participant
      @darthmarino

Firepower (Drop Target Mod) – (Williams 1980) 1.2

This is an updated version of WED21’s Firepower VPX table. The prototype version of the game used 6 drop targets but for the production run, they were replaced with standup targets to increase reliability in the field. The games ROM still works with them however and people have done this mod to the real table.  Both versions are included with this release (switchable in the script).

I have redrawn the apron and reworked the background for desktop users.

Note on the “Deluxe” version:  This version of the game (frpwr_c7) can be played with the drop targets but there will be some minor gameplay issues.  Some of the new play features such as mission mode will not reset the drop targets and you will sometimes see the target down despite the corresponding light blinking. This is controlled by the ROM and cannot be fixed.  If this happens, Hitting the one or two remaining targets in the bank will reset all 3.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

This is actually a great mod for the real pin so thanks for giving us this in vp

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Cool! Thanks for doing this.

Micronaut
          Participant
            @micronaut

I’m a fan of drop targets, tables like centaur, trident, fast draw, etc … when I started playing firepower table (VP version) for the first time, I asked myself why did not they create this wonderful table with drop target? and … wham!. :yahoo: Here is what I always wanted, thank you friend for this great mod

the_greeze
            Participant
              @thegreeze

Nice mod! Thank you  :yahoo:

STAT
              Participant
                @stefanaustria
                MemberContributor

Nice, didn’t check that on IPDB, thanks.

Quick Wheel here …

3 users thanked author for this post.
                bha19
                Participant
                  @bha19

Excellent table. My first play I got 1,300,000. I know you said it was a rom bug with the drop targets so let’s hope so. Hard to lite locks because of this. Also a problem with Fire and power. I was finally able to light extra ball but not special. I also can’t seem to advance the center spot target past the first red spot. Also one thing you might be able to fix: the top fire lanes seem awfully bouncy and the ball can bounce too much between the top and bottom of each lane. Is this intentional

DarthMarino
                  Participant
                    @darthmarino

Excellent table. My first play I got 1,300,000. I know you said it was a rom bug so let’s hope so. Hard to lite locks because of this. Also a problem with Fire and power. I was finally able to light extra ball but not special. I also can’t seem to advance the center spot target past the first red spot. Also one thing you might be able to fix: the top fire lanes seem awfully bouncy and the ball can bounce too much between the top and bottom of each lane. Is this intentional

I actually hope it’s NOT a ROM issue since there would be a chance to fix it otherwise. I am hoping someone more knowledgeable about VPX can take a look at it. It could be related to hitting a target at a certain time and confusing the ROM.  Like I said, I have seen the same thing happen on the real table, so I’m not sure there is much we can do. I never really had an issue lighting the locks but I’m not good enough to score 1.3 million on my first play (or 50th). The issue I mentioned only happens once in a while and as soon as you knock down the other target or two , they reset and you can take your shot.

When I first put the targets in, there would sometimes be instances where you would knock all 3 down and they would not reset until your next ball.  I was able to put in some code to fix that but couldn’t figure out any cheats for the issue that remains .

Of course, you can always turn the mod off (in Line 51) and you’ll still have a great table with no issues.

What’s the problem with Fire/Power?  That shouldn’t be related to the drop targets.

I didn’t change anything on the playfield but the bounce on the lanes can easily be reduced.

bha19
                    Participant
                      @bha19

I did not mean to imply that it was a good thing about the rom, I just meant that there is a know problem with the rom and not something else.The problem with the drop targets  is that if the drop targets do not register and they are still flashing this does not count toward lighting the lock when you knock down all six drop targets.

DarthMarino
                      Participant
                        @darthmarino

OK, I see what you mean. If there is a way to get a value when the light is flashing, I could easily fix this.  On a non-ROM table you can set a light to “2” which is a blinking state but that didn’t work when I tried with this.

Actually, I just thought of possibility as I was tying this.  It probably won’t work, but it’s worth a try.

DarthMarino
                        Participant
                          @darthmarino

I’m pretty sure this actually fixed it.  I just want to test it some more and clean up the script. I will upload 1.1 shortly.

Thalamus
                            @thalamus
                            ContributorMemberModerator

Since you are planning a 1.1.

Maybe put in some hidden walls on top divider lanes. Because of non collidable prims the ball is allowed to move too much and it doesn’t look right.

Tamachi
                            Participant
                              @tamachi

Hello thank you for the table, beautiful work. Noob question : Is it normal that I don’t have music on this table ?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              DarthMarino
                              Participant
                                @darthmarino

I think I am going to change the ROM for 1.1.  It’s working about as good as I can get it (maybe perfect now) but I believe the ROM currently being used (C7) is a custom version known as “Firepower Deluxe” and adds some rule changes including mission mode.  This is cool but during mission mode the lights will often blink even though the targets are down.  This version doesn’t reset the drop banks when mission mode is activated (makes sense since this feature wasn’t in the games original code).

It still works fine with Mission mode. You just have to sometimes clear a bank of targets to reset that side. The Deluxe stuff is fun but I think it’s best to make it as close to the original (prototype in this case).

Slydog43
                                Participant
                                  @slydog43

Thanks for the update, all my issues should be fixed now.  Great job

DarthMarino
                                  Participant
                                    @darthmarino

There is an issue with the drop targets if you also have the center post on.  One line of code is in the wrong place. It will be fixed in 1.2.

Edit: I now have it so during multiball the individual targets pop up immediately when hit .

Slydog43
                                    Participant
                                      @slydog43

Now I understand why people were confused about scoring on the preProduction model vs standard targets.  There was a target behind rubber BEHIND the drop targets that would get activated when you hit the rubber behind a dropped drop-target (I hope that makes sense).  I’m not sure the switch number, but I might be able to find out from a friend as he modded his real machine to a pre-production.

DarthMarino
                                      Participant
                                        @darthmarino

Now I understand why people were confused about scoring on the preProduction model vs standard targets. There was a target behind rubber BEHIND the drop targets that would get activated when you hit the rubber behind a dropped drop-target (I hope that makes sense). I’m not sure the switch number, but I might be able to find out from a friend as he modded his real machine to a pre-production.

Interesting. I didn’t know about that.  Looking at the documentation, 55 reset the left and 52 reset the right. The other switches are all numbered differently so this ROM wouldn’t even work.

bha19
                                        Participant
                                          @bha19

So I tried one game of version 1.2 and that seems to fixed it. Thanks for the update.

DarthMarino
                                          Participant
                                            @darthmarino

I just watched some video of the “real” thing (table retrofitted with the targets) and it had the same issue during multiball that I fixed for 1.2. If for some reason you want to play that way, just delete or comment out line 642: Multisafe1.Enabled=True.  The multiball issues just seem kind of random so my 1.2 plays better and is consistent.  If you earn multiball, why not have every scoring opportunity available?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?