Flasher domes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Flupper
    Participant
      @philippe

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/flasher-domes/

This demo table includes domes in several colors. Instructions included in the table script.Let me know if you have issues! Flupperdomes2 is the new version, with several types of flashers in 6 colors.

Lobotomy
      Participant
        @lobotomy

I’m in the middle(??) of my original build and was looking for some “free primitives”.
        Like a blessing from above I stumbled on these, and man, my table looked mediocre before, but with these flashers my table looks like a pile of s**t! :P

The only thing that look good is these flasher domes! :D
        Now I need to step it up a few notches, and try not to over use these gems.

Thank you!!!

Ben Logan2
        Participant
          @benlogan2

I love the lens flare effect on the blue flasher. Super cool!

xenonph
          Participant
            @xenonph
            MemberContributor

I am in the process of making a Christmas mod and decided to try and figure out how to add nice flashers to table. Obviously I picked the right table demo to learn how they work and how to add to script.

Thank you for this great resource table Flupper!!!

I have actually got a blue flasher to work with table event on my Christmas mod!!!(Drain for now, until I learn more!!)

My question is…

The flasher flashes one time on a ball drain.

What if I want it to flash 4 times on ball drain?

Is there a simple script command for this or do I just tie it to variable that counts down from 4?

I was hoping there was something simple like adding a simple “x4” to end of flasher command, to flash 4 times. I could tie it to a timer where it flashes for certain amount of time also.

These questions may seem stupid, but I am still a beginner at all this!!

I really want to learn it all!!!

Thank you for your time and help.

Sliderpoint
            Participant
              @sliderpoint
              MemberContributor

Not sure how exactly to do it if you also using flasher objects.  But for the light objects you can use the .duration method.

Duration(int startState, int durationTime, int endState) – starts a light in startState and leaves it into that state for the amount of milliseconds defined by durationTime until the light switches to the endState
              e.g.:
              light1.Duration 2, 1000, 1 (light starts to blink for 1000ms and then switches to ON)

-Mike

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Flupper
              Participant
                @philippe

Maybe there is a simpler way, but I would just use a separate timer which does this countdown and again enables the flash for one flash.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                xenonph
                Participant
                  @xenonph
                  MemberContributor

Thanks for the info Sliderpoint and Flupper!!

I hate to admit this, but I had always wondered how people were using these “Resource tables”.

I never knew the process of loading 2 tables into the editor. So you can imagine the trouble I have had trying to use any resource from any table.

It just wasn’t possible for me, until my friend Thalamus was helping test table for Scottacus, as I was helping test also, and somehow the personal message conversation switched to converting VP9 tables to VPX. I asked him many questions that probably seemed stupid to him, but he explained to me the method of loading 2 tables into the Visual Pinball Editor. (I could copy objects that were on same table, and knew how to do that, but never knew the 2 table method.) So I can now start using all these resource tables!!! BIG THANKS THALAMUS!!!

BIG THANKS FLUPPER FOR THIS TABLE!!!

I am so excited!!, and still can’t believe I got that flasher to actually work on my Christmas mod!!

I love this stuff!!!

Carry on.

DJRobX
                    @djrobx
                    MemberModerator

Thanks for these Flupper, they’re amazing.

I wrote function to utilize these with the common JP fading light routine that seems to be copied to most tables.     Note that you may or may not already have “FlashEmpty”, depending on where you got it from.   FlashEmpty contains all of the ramp up/ramp down smarts that ought to be only coded once instead of each separate light implementation.   Anyhoo, here’s the code:

Sub FlupperFlash(nr, FlashObject, LitObject, BaseObject, LightObject)
                    FlupperFlashm nr, FlashObject, LitObject, BaseObject, LightObject
                    FadeEmpty nr
                    End Sub

Sub FlupperFlashm(nr, FlashObject, LitObject, BaseObject, LightObject)
                    ‘exit sub
                    dim flashx3
                    Select Case FadingLevel(nr)
                            Case 4, 5
                    ‘ This section adapted from Flupper’s script
                    flashx3 = FlashLevel(nr) * FlashLevel(nr) * FlashLevel(nr)
                                FlashObject.IntensityScale = flashx3
                    LitObject.BlendDisableLighting = 10 * flashx3
                    BaseObject.BlendDisableLighting = flashx3
                    LightObject.IntensityScale = flashx3
                    LitObject.material = “domelit” & Round(9 * FlashLevel(nr))
                    LitObject.visible = 1
                    FlashObject.visible = 1
                    case 3:
                    LitObject.visible = 0
                    FlashObject.visible = 0
                    end select
                    End Sub

Sub FadeEmpty(nr) ‘Fade a lamp number, no object updates
                        Select Case FadingLevel(nr)
                    Case 3
                    FadingLevel(nr) = 0
                            Case 4 ‘off
                                FlashLevel(nr) = FlashLevel(nr) – FlashSpeedDown(nr)
                                If FlashLevel(nr) < FlashMin(nr) Then
                                    FlashLevel(nr) = FlashMin(nr)
                                   FadingLevel(nr) = 3 ‘completely off
                                End if
                                ‘Object.IntensityScale = FlashLevel(nr)
                            Case 5 ‘ on
                                FlashLevel(nr) = FlashLevel(nr) + FlashSpeedUp(nr)
                                If FlashLevel(nr) > FlashMax(nr) Then
                                    FlashLevel(nr) = FlashMax(nr)
                                    FadingLevel(nr) = 6 ‘completely on
                                End if
                                ‘Object.IntensityScale = FlashLevel(nr)
                    Case 6
                    FadingLevel(nr) = 1
                        End Select
                    End Sub

Then in your light routine, you can use it like this:

FlupperFlash 100, Flasherflash4, FlasherLit4, FlasherBase4, FlasherLight4

Or for multiples:

Flashm 100, f20
                    FlupperFlashm 100, Flasherflash666, FlasherLit6, FlasherBase6, FlasherLight6
                    FlupperFlash 100, Flasherflash444, FlasherLit4, FlasherBase4, FlasherLight4

Hope this helps someone.  :)

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    Dark
                      @dark
                      vipMemberContributor

Thanks Flupper for adding the round flasher type to this collection!

3dcreation

zimbakin
                      Participant
                        @zimbakin

Awesome! Thanks for sharing man. Great quality.

Never take advice from me,
                        you'll end up drunk.

Thalamus
                          @thalamus
                          ContributorMemberModerator

Much appreciated !  :rose:

Sixtoe
                          Participant
                            @kiella

I don’t quite understand how to implement the v2 versions as a call for vpinmame, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I’ve got a fully implemented version in the flupperflash test table but can’t quite figure out how to copy them over to my WIP table and plug them into a rom call.. :(

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

What DjRobX wrote above doesn’t help you ?

Sixtoe
                              Participant
                                @kiella

I think it’s changed substantially for v2? or I might have got it totally wrong? ;)

Flupper seems to have literally automated the process not, you only set some limited variables and colours and it sorts it all out for you, it’s pretty amazing actually. I got the entire flasher setup for my table working on his test table and literally just want to plug it in, but it’s not obvious how to (due to my inexperience).

But due to this is looks like there’s more calls to different functions and this makes the current code exploderate.

Daryl
                                Participant
                                  @allknowing2012

Couple things that get me .. for those looking at the example table..

The flasherflash10 flasher, for example, How do you determine the RotX, RotY, RotZ values? And why is there an ugly flasher object imbeded into the flasher image?

As to how to use them .. copy and paste by selecting say 1 level – which ever has the right style/direction that you want.

Naming is *critical* you only want to use “white” on your table as the colors get dynamically changed within the scripts.

You need to export all the images AND the materials!  (exclude the xExample/zPlayfield ones if you wish)

The screws are a bit messed up .. you might want to do those yourself or just be sure to correct there images/materials.

To fire off a flasher .. you need  both peices ..

Flashlevel(1) = 1 : FlasherFlash1_Timer  — it is NOT a timer.. cant be used as a timer .. as it needs to have the flashlevel reset upon each call.

Did I mess that up or what I have written is correct?

PS. What the heck is a “modulated” flasher? hence why use 1 for the value as opposed to say .5 ?

Flupper
                                  Participant
                                    @philippe

@sixtoe:

The flasher call routines should look something like:

SolCallback(27) = “Flashlevel(1) = 1 : FlasherFlash1_Timer”

or for modulated flashers:

Sub FlashModFlash(level)

Flashlevel(1) = level/255 : FlasherFlash1_Timer

End Sub

SolModCallback(16) = “FlashModFlash ”

If you cannot get it to work, send me your table, I will show where/how to put the code in.

Flupper
                                    Participant
                                      @philippe

@Daryl:

I am not sure whether I should respond to your post, but here it is anyway:

“The flasherflash10 flasher, for example, How do you determine the RotX, RotY, RotZ values? And why is there an ugly flasher object imbeded into the flasher image?”
                                      That is why there is an ugly flasher image as default in the flasher object. With TestFlashers = 1 you can see this ugly image even better, so to determine the position of the flasher object. From the example table script:
                                      ‘ If the flasher is parallel to the playfield, rotate the VPX flasher object for POV and place it at the correct height
                                      If the flasher is not parallel to the playfield, look at the flashers at the back wall for an example value for RotZ (180 instead of 0). RotX should be -45.

“Naming is *critical* you only want to use “whte” on your table as the colors get dynamically changed within the scripts.”
                                      Yes, from the example table script:
                                      ‘ export the materials domebase, Flashermaterial0 – 20 and import them in your table
                                      ‘ export all textures except zplayfield, zLut0_0 and zShinyenvironment and import them in your table with the same names

“You need to export all the images AND the materials!  (exclude the xExample/zPlayfield ones if you wish)”
                                      Yes, from the example table script:
                                      ‘ export the materials domebase, Flashermaterial0 – 20 and import them in your table
                                      ‘ export all textures except zplayfield, zLut0_0 and zShinyenvironment and import them in your table with the same names

“The screws are a bit messed up .. you might want to do those yourself or just be sure to correct there images/materials.”
                                      Of course you can use your own screws. But I cannot see what is “messed up” with them? For me they work just fine.

“To fire off a flasher .. you need  both peices ..
                                      Flashlevel(1) = 1 : FlasherFlash1_Timer  — it is NOT a timer.. cant be used as a timer .. as it needs to have the flashlevel reset upon each call.”
                                      No idea what you are getting at; FlasherFlash1_Timer is in fact a timer. It is the timer which is part of the Flasherflash1 VPX flasher object. I use this timer to prevent people who want to use my flashers from copying another object (like a separate timer object).

“Did I mess that up or what I have written is correct?”
                                      Maybe?

“PS. What the heck is a “modulated” flasher? hence why use 1 for the value as opposed to say .5 ?”
                                      Old style tables have a flasher which is on or off (true or false), they use the solcallback statement; some newer tables have a variable flasher (modulated) for which the rom sends a number from 0-255. They use the solmodcallback statement. You can use a number of 0-255 by setting FlashLevel(nr) by the solmodcallback response divided by 255.

I spent many evenings working on the flasher textures and objects. Also, it took me more than a week getting the example table running like it is now and trying to simplify the process of using the flashers. I hope you can appreciate that. If you have any more questions for getting the flashers working please let me know.

Daryl
                                      Participant
                                        @allknowing2012

2020-05-24-20_32_04-Start

Thanks … just some clarification on my part .. So for custom tables, I should just stick with Flashlevel value of 1. I did see the solmodcallback and was going to research that a bit.

I am using your code in my builds — I do appreciate your efforts for sure..!

Attached is the pic about the screws .. seems you missed some materials – so cut’n’paste they come out pink :-)

The flasher object with that image — it just shows up when it flashes – there is that faint image on top of a tabbed dome, or small domes like on the backwall of a Stern,  and it looks weird. Is there something I should do so it doesn’t show up?

In scripts, when I see  FlasherFlash1_Timer — I assume it is a timer called FlasherFlash1 where I could set .enabled=True, .interval=1000. In this case I cant do that.  Found out that I needed to make another timer to call this _timer routine.  No biggie.

Attached is my Aerosmith.. I tried to make the Dude flasher light up .. just cant seem to get it to look right – hence the comment about x,y,z rotation.

Flupper
                                        Participant
                                          @philippe

@Daryl: Okay, I will check the screw materials and fix it. For Sixtoe I got his flashers working as intended, I can do the same for you if you want. Just PM me the table and I will take a look.

Onevox
                                          Participant
                                            @rooster

@philippe I’m so glad this floated up and you’re still helping people with this. I’ve decided to add three flashers to The Clash. Since these aren’t in the ROM, I still have to think about how to use them for max impact.

Onevox

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?