Force Exclusive Fullscreen and disabling post-processed anti-aliasing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TNT2
    Participant
      @tnt2

Flupper gave some recommendations over on VPF for what he uses for graphical performance. As I had never tweaked some of the newer settings in VPX I gave it a shot. First I had to figure out what folks were talking about when they said in order to use Force Exclusive Fullscreen you have to change the directdraw settings in the Windows registry for VP and set it to 0 instead of default 1 in order to allow your GPU not to use the antiquated directdraw option.

How to change the registry. Search Windows for regedit then: (HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Freeware > Visual PinMame – table ROMs)

Video-options-preferences
      (screenshot from VPX 10.3)

In order to use see the graphical enhancements you need to disable post-processed anti-aliasing so you don’t get the softness that is introduced by post processing (this is seen in the preferences video options of VP which I have included). However this will introduce “jaggies” unless you also check brute-force AA (Brute Force AA has to run in force exclusive fullscreen to avoid lag). This will eliminate the jaggies giving you a sharper look to tables. I hope Javier doesn’t mind me using his excellent Batman Data East table as an example. The 1st screenshot is from the default window mode with quality FXAA post processing enabled and no brute force selected.

Batman-Data-East-VP10

batman-de

As you can see from the 2nd screenshot disabling post-processed AA and enabling Brute Force AA has a pretty dramatic effect. I always thought dark’s models looked good but wow! It is even more impressive.

As I am not running a cabinet like most on here and running desktop I was also seeing the issue of DMDs not displaying on tables unless the DMD is coded into the background. As alt-tab will not work here (as the forced fullscreen has the screen locked to it and I am using Windows 8.1) I was also seeing some tables that would not display the DMD. Fortunately DJRob was able to provide code adjustments that allow you to force fullscreen to include the DMD. Now I haven’t been able to get it to work on all tables but with his help I have solved a lot of the issues. Granted my trial and error is for desktop view. I am sure cabinet users can provide specifics for optimal cabinet settings.

This is the code DJRob recommended when copying a DMD textbox window from another table and pasting it into the new table where the DMD is not showing. This assumes that the table (in this case) is named table1 and that the copied DMD box is called scoretext.

Dim DesktopMode: DesktopMode = table1.ShowDT
      Scoretext.visible = DesktopMode
      dim UseVPMDMD:UseVPMDMD = DesktopMode

I am by no means an expert but hopefully this provides some helpful information for those of you who have been running VP in the windowed mode and would like to try the Force Exclusive Fullscreen option. My video card has always ran hot when using VP however with the fullscreen option and setting the v-sync option to match my monitor refresh rate my video card is running cool for the first time. The process is pretty straightforward where I was running into the most issues was including the DMD window on some tables. It does take some work for those cases but the graphical improvement in the table and the cooler GPU are two very nice benefits if you are interested.

Additional information can be found here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=34672&page=1

4 users thanked author for this post.
      HauntFreaks
        @hauntfreaks
        vipContributorMember

yep, more or less I run this same setup… it always gives smooth play….

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

Was there some change to the AA?  The brute force AA, historically, has been the mind killer.

TNT2
          Participant
            @tnt2

Not exactly sure on that Drybonz. I know for me I see no stuttering at all now as long as I set vsync to match my monitor’s refresh rate.

TNT2
            Participant
              @tnt2

yep, more or less I run this same setup… it always gives smooth play….

Yeah I am probably one of the few who hasn’t been running this setup until now.

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

Cool… well, whatever works.  Definitely AA looks better, but there were always complaints that the brute force option was killing performance.  It looks like they changed those options though.  I had been setting my AA in the nvidia control panel, but I think that broke recently if I remember correctly.  I honestly haven’t even loaded a table for a couple weeks I have had stuff going on.

HauntFreaks
                  @hauntfreaks
                  vipContributorMember

yeah there are like 5 different AA now…

and i run all the fancy fancy stuff like reflection, shadows… and see no lose if forced FS and 1 sync are enabled…

as per the changelog
                  – add NFAA post processing filter to the post-processing AA dropdown menus (sometimes more blurry, but also keeps more dynamic range of the highlights compared to FXAA, and is pretty fast)
                  – add DLAA post processing filter to the post-processing AA dropdown menus (somewhere inbetween FXAA and NFAA, depending on the aliasing-pattern that is smoothed, and more costly than NFAA)
                  – add SMAA post processing filter to the post-processing AA dropdown menus (comparable to Quality FXAA, depending on the aliasing-pattern that is smoothed, and more costly, but usually also a bit better)

Drybonz
                  Participant
                    @drybonz

Ok… so the lightest on system performance would be the NFAA option, according to the release notes… DLAA medium and SMAA high.  I don’t completely understand how the “brute force” checkbox plays into these now, but it sounds like NFAA would be suggested for best performance and SMAA for quality.

HauntFreaks
                      @hauntfreaks
                      vipContributorMember

I think its Toxie that still recommends brute force… and i never felt a difference on or off…

TNT2
                      Participant
                        @tnt2

Yeah there are a ton of AA options now.

I don’t know if this impacts cabinet users, when using force exclusive fullscreen do you see the ultradmd DMDs just fine? I can’t get those to display in desktop view.

TNT2
                        Participant
                          @tnt2

Question for VP gurus.

I am a little surprised that directdraw is a setting at the ROM level and not on global VP or even table level. Why is this?

CarnyPriest
                          Participant
                            @carnypriest

These are VPM settings and not VP settings. You can make a global change by changing the ddraw key in the default table. Don’t know why the setting is not in the UI. But it can be changed using BigBoss’s SetDMD app.

TNT2
                            Participant
                              @tnt2

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the info.

TNT2
                              Participant
                                @tnt2

It looks like at some point Toxie made it so you don’t have to force exclusive fullscreen in order to achieve the sharpest image. Not sure when Toxie made that addition. I have been comparing screenshots from previous screenshots to the regular VPX 6 release. I can no longer see a sharpness difference when comparing whether it’s enabled or disabled.

It’s nice though this way I can have the DMD display appear automatically without having to tweak the table script as a workaround.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?