Fragmented communities

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

@dazz I’ve spent probably $2,000 on site so far with hosting($800.00/year) and software is WordPress which is open source but have spent a lot of money on commercial plugins and custom code so it’s not free! As for secure I assure you the site is as secure as anything can be these days! My downloads are very secure more so then vPU or vpf with way it is setup. I will continue to spend money on this site improving it because I truly want to make it better for people

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

2 users thanked author for this post.
      TNT2
      Participant
        @tnt2

Well I can honestly say this has been an interesting (entertaining?) read.

Dazz
        Participant
          @dazz

@dazz I’ve spent probably $2,000 on site so far with hosting($800.00/year) and software is WordPress which is open source but have spent a lot of money on commercial plugins and custom code so it’s not free! As for secure I assure you the site is as secure as anything can be these days! My downloads are very secure more so then vPU or vpf with way it is setup. I will continue to spend money on this site improving it because I truly want to make it better for people

Yeah, it’s easy to sink money into doing this… WordPress by itself is pretty easily hackbale and easy to gain entry, but the plugins make all the difference.  Glad to see you have those. VPU downloads are actually hosted on Amazon S3. I’m with ya in wanting to make our places better.  I’m not against you guys at all and if there is anything I can do to help VPinball just let me know.

HauntFreaks
            @hauntfreaks
            vipContributorMember

I was so hoping this wasnt going to be brought up…. and i dont have it in me to have some long debate over it
            at the time that shark tank aired, YES there was NO denying in the least VPcabs were preloaded with VP9 and full catalog of tables/b2s/logos
            I personally seen this at a pin show, and i already know, it was for demo purposes, blah blah blah
            but then the plot thickened, a pin cab was shipped with the same preloaded software/table catalog, reason this is known a member was contacted by the owner for tech support,…. than again even thicker a vertigo was again shipped fully loaded, a member was picking up real pinball machine and the seller had the vertigo thus this member investigated and voila a fully loaded VP9 and all its accoutrements….. all this has been brought up many times in many different forums… so this is not breaking news

this is nothing more than an ethics conflict between VPcabs and many table builders (not all but many)… but hey if they want to start making their own tables/b2s/logos more power to them… but you can’t have hardware folks that have no invested time in the building of the content, so they need to stay out of the kitchen

and about licensing, they are not licensed to use any of the FREE content that was put out for FREE to be used for FREE… not in any commercial environment, or product… and just some nobody thinks we’re so dumb that we dont know the loopholes that are being worked out…

but again hey , its your site, you can support or turn a blind eye to whatever, no one here or anywhere can tell you how you should run your own site, again its your baby… run with scissors if you want… cut the tags off mattresses…. its your to do and have it look and run how you want… same with pauls, same with randr…
            if people dont like it… start your own site…
            but if someone does start a new site can we buy some russian kids to get these systems hacked faster… lets get some SPIKE emulation goin god damn it!!

bodydump
            Participant
              @bodydump

i dont have it in me to have some long debate over it

Are you not feeling well?  It seems like you’re always up for debate. :)

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

i dont have it in me to have some long debate over it

Are you not feeling well? It seems like you’re always up for debate. :)

Notice he then proceeded to debate anyway.    :whistle:

HauntFreaks
                  @hauntfreaks
                  vipContributorMember

you call that a debate??… thats just regurgitating whats been said 10 times over…  B-)

Sliderpoint
                  Participant
                    @sliderpoint
                    MemberContributor

You say you don’t support VPU because of VPCabs banner on the site? VPins, owned by Paul aka Noah the owner of VPF, do include community created software and games. VPF is membership based and has been for YEARS, limits free user downloads to 5 per day and greatly hinders download speeds. People have no problem at all with this and they continue to support VPF. Even then VPF only allows VPIN banners/products on their site and does not allow anyone to put up a banner with a competing product. You don’t have an issue with this? VPF is a great resource and the community itself is great, but I don’t trust Paul as a community leader because he does use/abuse his community for personal gain. This is very clear, but it doesn’t seem to be a big deal. I voiced my opinion about this and was banned from VPF.

I actually do think it’s a “big deal”.  I have a lot the same concerns about him trying to “own” everything and the business tie ins that happen that he seems to try to deny.  It seems that some folks here are equally upset about the possible controversy with VPCabs as you are with Paul.   I will say it is Paul’s website and if he wants to use it as a tax write off for advertising his business, then all the more power too him (and if he doesn’t do that, he needs a new accountant!).

BUT! I definitely agree with BorgDog (and others) that the software should be moved to it’s own repository and all links to independent websites should be removed from the software.  Discussions and builds can obviously still be posted on whatever site, but personally run sites should not be the “official” site of the software.

-Mike

Drybonz
                    Participant
                      @drybonz

you call that a debate??… thats just regurgitating whats been said 10 times over… B-)

I figured you were just getting warmed up.    :mail:

senseless
                      Participant
                        @senseless

As I started with my Cabinet about two years ago I initially focussed on the Hyperspin site to get my knowledge on building cabinets. Next to that I dug myself in with VPF just to learn about Visual Pinball and ALL the settings and curiosities that came with running VP on a machine. After three months I was ready to take the big step and started to build my own cab… During the next months I was just going crazy with all the exciting tables and supporting media and was not bothered that much with the download limits and frequently used VPU to get additional resources. I love VPU for their support of SAM and it was the DOF universe that got me hooked to force feedback in my cab.

I love reading forums on VPF due to the magnitude of different topics to learn from but I was missing something. I stumbled on VPinball and have been a regular visitor every since. I get inspired by all the development on the VPX platform and really like the atmosphere here. People are nice and really help out when I reach out.

I don’t think it a bad thing we have three of four sites who cover the VP world and each have their own specialities. For VPinball it’s the people that make the difference for me. I’m glad to see all the developments going on at VPU and with taking away the download barrier for the user experience I expect VPU can be more alive and special (again).

Just my 2 cents.

Phil Docker
                        Participant
                          @dock

In my opinion vpforums is a little ‘censored’ as the owner of the site wants you to buy his anaolog plunger kit, the colour DMD he sells, and forget that the Stern SAM system exists and should not be posted due to a non existent agreement….   But thats another story.  Pin2DMD as a phrase gets censored on the site.

vpuniverse is a great site, the only thing I do not like is having to wait to download – but an awful lot of great tables and backglasses make it’s debut on that site.

This site is the newest, and it seems to be more friendlier and open than the other two sites I go on.  Do not get me wrong, all have strong points.

Personally I am more likely to ask for help and give advice that I have found useful on this site.

Loads of names are common on all the three sites I am a member of.  I am excluding the Pinball X forum site as I only use my account on that site to download Pinball X updates.

I can not see one ‘common’ site ever happening, and why should it?  The community as a whole is excellent.  We have amazing techies who invent and research things like DOF, Pin2DMD and other gadgers – and some truely amazing people who capture the essence of the tables I have previously owned or played.

Personally it would be great to have networks of ‘local’ cabbies that could help each other out (people who build cabs – not taxi drivers :wacko: ).  I for one would share my experiences and give advice.  Even help others out.

Take care all – these are just my 2 cents!

HauntFreaks
                            @hauntfreaks
                            vipContributorMember

Personally it would be great to have networks of ‘local’ cabbies that could help each other out (people who build cabs – not taxi drivers ).  I for one would share my experiences and give advice.  Even help others out.

this is going to be a bit off topic… but I love this comment
                            how about a pushPIN map, like on pinside for Cab owners (sorry DT guys) EDIT:  maybe two kinda pushPINs one DT one CAB
                            (Blue for Cabs, Pink for DT…. I kid I kid…lol)

because its true, lots of us have these, but it is so few and far between …. lots of guys might be the only one with a Cab or VP knowledge hundreds of miles
                            or might have some one right down the street, and never knew….

for instance, I recently found out there are a few guys close to me that have full blown pin arcades in there basements…

so i dont know…. Randr can something like this be implemented??

freneticamnesic
                              @freneticamnesic
                              vipModeratorMember

I don’t have it in me to have a long debate over it

*sneezes*

*has a long debate over it*

Punch it!

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

Personally it would be great to have networks of ‘local’ cabbies that could help each other out (people who build cabs – not taxi drivers ). I for one would share my experiences and give advice. Even help others out.

this is going to be a bit off topic… but I love this comment how about a pushPIN map, like on pinside for Cab owners (sorry DT guys) EDIT: maybe two kinda pushPINs one DT one CAB (Blue for Cabs, Pink for DT…. I kid I kid…lol) because its true, lots of us have these, but it is so few and far between …. lots of guys might be the only one with a Cab or VP knowledge hundreds of miles or might have some one right down the street, and never knew…. for instance, I recently found out there are a few guys close to me that have full blown pin arcades in there basements… so i dont know…. Randr can something like this be implemented??

yeah i could do something like that.

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

********************************************************

ICPjuggla
                                  @icpjuggla
                                  MembervipModerator

Personally it would be great to have networks of ‘local’ cabbies that could help each other out (people who build cabs – not taxi drivers ). I for one would share my experiences and give advice. Even help others out.

this is going to be a bit off topic… but I love this comment how about a pushPIN map, like on pinside for Cab owners (sorry DT guys) EDIT: maybe two kinda pushPINs one DT one CAB (Blue for Cabs, Pink for DT…. I kid I kid…lol) because its true, lots of us have these, but it is so few and far between …. lots of guys might be the only one with a Cab or VP knowledge hundreds of miles or might have some one right down the street, and never knew…. for instance, I recently found out there are a few guys close to me that have full blown pin arcades in there basements… so i dont know…. Randr can something like this be implemented??

yeah i could do something like that.

I love this idea!  :yahoo:

Daryl
                                  Participant
                                    @allknowing2012

Just my 2cents .. I find vpf forums a much better “forum”.  I have link to show new forum content and there doesnt seem to be a nice equivalent in either of these forums. I struggle with the recent activity link here – so verbose, cant see threads, vpu is even more spaced out. Perhaps its just me :-)

Sites to seem to come and go . .. pardon the pun but gopinball is dying a quick death with few posts and even fewer tables…

HauntFreaks
                                      @hauntfreaks
                                      vipContributorMember

Sites to seem to come and go . .. pardon the pun but gopinball is dying a quick death with few posts and even fewer tables…

GoPinball has only one person to blame for that… he picked up his “pinball” and went home… more god complex theater in the fake pinball world
                                      “i’m made, and no one else can have it, so there, boo-fuckin-hoo” (tongue out, kicking, crying)  :cry:

HauntFreaks
                                        @hauntfreaks
                                        vipContributorMember

navigating here is a little different but just as easy to get to the newest content and the most recent forum activity…

Sliderpoint
                                        Participant
                                          @sliderpoint
                                          MemberContributor

Holy open tabs batman!  LOL

HauntFreaks
                                            @hauntfreaks
                                            vipContributorMember

Holy open tabs batman! LOL

that’s why they call me Kelly Slater  ;)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 69 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?