Gottlieb Standard Cabinet Build

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Bikertrash00
    Participant
      @bikertrash00

Yep still alive! Been getting bikes ready for spring and had to get ready for our road trip vacation, got back Sunday and still getting caught up, I will try and get more stuff posted soon.

Bikertrash00
      Participant
        @bikertrash00

set PC in the cab wired up the sound, right now just a Lepai LP-168HA, Kenwood KFC-S136 in the Back Glass and a Cheap Pyramid 6″ Woofer in the stock speaker location. Pulled brightwork off the front to clean up before more wiring tonight.

Bikertrash00
        Participant
          @bikertrash00

I did install 1 additional button to the cabinet (currently for launch) and I am using original start button, single service button inside coin door for credits/coins, using the coin return for exit, and installed a cheap slide pot for plunger, using a regular arcade push button for PC power in factory location. I don’t have room for magna save buttons. I need to update with more pictures when I get a chance.

Bikertrash00
          Participant
            @bikertrash00

Here are some pictures of the exciter under lock bar and front of cabinet, I have 2 others towards the rear of cabinet, I ended up using the rear sub for the backglass/music, the one in stock location sucks so I have that one running off the rear exciter amp. I am now trying to get volumes set and Pinvol adjustments set, next I will be trying to find scrips for surround sound on the tables I have.

Bikertrash00
            Participant
              @bikertrash00

The Exciters are Dayton Audio DAEX58FP Flat Pack 58mm 25W 8-Ohm Exciter (Black) that I picked up off of Amazon for $10 a piece, they are now 14.80 on Amazon and Parts Express.

https://www.amazon.c…=A385A0XNQBW8HY

https://www.parts-ex…-8-ohm–295-210

Bikertrash00
              Participant
                @bikertrash00

Hello everybody, winter is setting in so putting the bikes away and back to Pinball, lol. I am going to pick up where I left off.

I am running 2 LP-838’s for the exciters and 1 LP-168HA for backglass but after reading the article “Audio and Tactile Amplifiers” by rickh I am considering sending the 838’s back and getting a couple TPA3116D2 2.1.

I ended up picking up 2 of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/112594899043.

Bikertrash00
                Participant
                  @bikertrash00

I received the amps and swapped the 838’s out, new amps are mounted and I got wiring all cleaned up, I also moved the lock down bar exciter from the filler board to the actual lock down mechanism to get more feel. Overall the system sounds good but still trying to get ROM vol settings & PinVol & actual amp vol straight. Trying to find a “set it and forget it” volume for the amps combined with turning some ROMs (Backglass) down & get the table sounds up. I will get it straight sooner or later.

Here are some pics:

Bikertrash00
                  Participant
                    @bikertrash00

I played the machine a lot until spring then I am outdoors as much as possible. I was having some issues in the spring so I figured I would make changes in the fall and I have decided to make major changes to hardware and do a Visual Pinball fresh install after resetting windows 10.

1st on the list is to upgrade is the CPU, MOBO and add another 8gb of memory. I was having performance issues so I am thinking it is the G4560 being it is only a 2 core. Any advise on this subject is greatly appreciated, I am looking at a Ryzen 5 2600 to get the most bang for the buck. I am also wondering about my GTX 960 SSC 4gb but will change that only if still having issues

My backglass monitor appears to be failing so I will also be looking to replace it with a “black friday” tv but finding one 25.5″ wide looks like an issue, I did find a TCL 28 inch  720p that claims 25.3″ wide.

I am also looking at adding leds, rotating beacon (red) and TV power on feature for my monitors, it appears I need to add an expansion board to my KL25Z.

I have a lot of research and work ahead…..fun as always!

Scott

Bikertrash00
                    Participant
                      @bikertrash00

Well being that I suffer from CRS….. I started reading Pinscape (mjr) build guide again and I might step down a little  from the Ryzen 5, this ryzen seems like it is a lot of power for decent price (future proof?) but wondering if my 960 SSC 4gb might bottleneck it, maybe look for a fast older I5 4 core that will work with my current board and add another 8 gig DDR4. Still weighing options….and what I can pick up Black Friday….lol

bwag
                      Participant
                        @bwag

Thank you for sharing this!  I am in the very beginning stages of doing almost the same thing.  Using a Gottlieb cabinet also.  Your pics have been very helpful!  :good:

Bikertrash00
                        Participant
                          @bikertrash00

I hope to get some advice on other additions I am going to make for DOF, I am adding a flasher strip, I ordered the RGB flashers, resistors and clear domes, I have a teensy 3.2 coming for addressable and I have a 12v red rotating beacon I had sitting around. I am having trouble figuring out the most practical way of adding these items, I am currently using the Pincape KL25Z, to run a full 5 RGB flasher bar I need at lease 15 outputs just for the bar and 1 for the beacon correct? I read that the KL25Z on has 10 PWM outputs. so I need additional outputs and the way I understand it the LEDWIZ board can only handle 500ma and the flashers can draw more than that, I also need a wired TV ON output which I do believe I can run off the KL25Z but trying to verify that.

Ant and all advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Scott

outhere
                            @outhere
                            MemberContributorvipModerator

My setup

The back matrix and the side addressable lights all get hooked to the teensy…..

That way you do not need 15 outputs just for the backlights

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=38892&p=391732

1 user thanked author for this post.
                            nmooer
                            Participant
                              @nmooermidrivers-com

Very nice build!  I am enjoying watching the progress. :good:

Bikertrash00
                              Participant
                                @bikertrash00

I did see your thread and I do like it, I am going to think about it, the only place I could put that would be right below my dmd on the back box , it appears it would be alot simpler than expansion boards or a bunch of relays.

Thank you very much for your advise!

Scott

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

@bikertrash00 Your 960 is a bit on the low end side if/when you go with 4k. Trust me, you’ll end up there in the end and a 1060ti or better is what you need then.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  Bikertrash00
                                  Participant
                                    @bikertrash00

Thalamus, I am not doing 4k for 2019, maybe next winter but unlikely, so you think I should back off a little on the CPU, save money on a cheaper 4 core and spend the savings on the gen GPU? You know the current setup from this thread and I was thinking the 1st thing to change would be the G4560 2 core. In fact with black friday I was going to pick up a CPU, motherboard, another 2 sticks of ram and still run the 960, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again for you help!

Scott

Bikertrash00
                                    Participant
                                      @bikertrash00

I did look at the info for the Pinscpae expansion mainboard but it is just a little more involved than I have time for, I did not see where I could buy one pre-built so I went with a classic LED-wiz and I will get some of the LED amplifiers, one relay for my rotating beacon and I saw somebodys use of Cycle timer relay for the TVs. I just got impatient and ordered the parts so I have to deal with what I ordered.

Bikertrash00
                                      Participant
                                        @bikertrash00

I am getting going on cabinet lighting upgrades, I mounted a 12v red rotating beacon to the back box and added 2 more buttons next to the coin door.

Bikertrash00
                                        Participant
                                          @bikertrash00

I did think about an addressable back matrix instead of flasher bar because I am doing addressable strips but decided just to stay old school for now and do a flasher bar, I am putting them under the glass by back box.

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus
                                            ContributorMemberModerator

If money is an issue – yes. I think you should save on CPU rather than squint on the GPU. I don’t know the exact sweet point though. VPX is much more GPU hungry than CPU, where the break point is though ?! My rig is almost 2 years old now ( original parts ). I did what I can only describe as a failed buy going for a 750ti on a Intel Core i5-6400 Skylake, Socket-LGA1151, Quad Core @ 2.7GHz. Not that it can’t handle VPX on 1080P. It did it just fine. But, I had to do some compromises graphically. I ran Nvidia 4xDSR just fine with it and I still think it looked ok – a tip from Carny. Since then I’ve upgraded to a 4k monitor and a regular Nvidia 1080. I can tell you. It’s an upgrade you want to make, but, it is expensive. As time pass, hardware it getting cheaper, so waiting is fine. Who knows. Toxie, Fuzzel, DjRobX or someone else, smarted than us, might come up with new and more efficient code, or not ;-)

Build is looking good btw !

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?