Gottlieb/Premier Wipeout WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    edizzle
    Participant
      @edizzle

Well, this started out as only a playfield redraw.  But then I was curious to see what the pf looked like in VP so then I started and kept going.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t really planning on building the table for release, per say, so I did things a bit sloppy, not having the intention of this being a full on table…just wanted to shoot the ball around and get a feel for the table.  Well, I got a little carried away and it’s pretty playable, but overall, needs quite a bit of refinement, i.e. I just threw walls around to generally layout the table, but they are not accurate. Additionally, I think I’ve taken it about as far as I can.  I am requesting some assistance with scripting and primitives.  Scripting specifically for the ski lift, and slalom, and primitives for wire ramps, VUKS, and the slalom ramp.  Right now, the slalom doesn’t really work in terms of controlling it with the flippers.  I did get a very talented author to offer his services, which is awesome!  If anyone else is interested, let me know!

Also, am I doing something wrong, or is it not possible to get primitives to “work” with VPX lighting?  For example, you can’t specify a primitive as a surface for a light to be on.  I haven’t had much success getting lighting to interact with a primitive.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Holly crap that looks great! you could do a texture swap for light on primitive or may be another way im sure

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

Nice one, edizzle… I’m sure one of these guys will help you hammer the scripting out.

Pinbolt
          Participant
            @pinbolt

Looks fantastic.

TNT2
            Participant
              @tnt2

Wow. Looks great.  :good:

Flupper
              Participant
                @philippe

The light halo height setting needs to be higher than the primitive, then it should light up or put on a invisible wall which is high enough

edizzle
                Participant
                  @edizzle

Holly crap that looks great! you could do a texture swap for light on primitive or may be another way im sure

True…texture swapping could work.  I’m sure there must be a way to have it work directly with VPX lighting because it’s so dynamic. figure I’m just doing something wrong.

The light halo height setting needs to be higher than the primitive, then it should light up or put on a invisible wall which is high enough

I thought I tried both methods…raising the halo height and also using an invisible wall, but neither seemed to work…maybe I just need to spend more time tweaking it.

ninuzzu
                  Participant
                    @ninuzzu
                    vipMember

Primitives (or walls) can also be lit from below. You just need to use a material with 0.999 opacity.

For example the plastics, check my tables, or fren tables, they use primitives and the light is below the plastic, you need to play with the transmission parameter.

The light object is too good in vpx: for example,  you can also render the light bulb inside the bumpers:

you can tie a light to a wall , for example at height 60, and enable bulb in options. Then change the halo height and voilà, you have a nice mesh bulb with a light on top of it

freneticamnesic
                      @freneticamnesic
                      vipModeratorMember

Welcome back edizzle! Table looks great

Punch it!

Scotty VH
                        @scottt
                        ModeratorMember

This looks really nice so far, Edizzle.  I hope you find the time to keep the good work up on this and get a playable WIP out there!  Sounds like lots of people that know what they are talking about have offered to help — it would be great to see collaboration on this one like we’ve seen on some other recent releases.

edizzle
                        Participant
                          @edizzle

Thanks Fren, though I wouldn’t say I’m back.  Just passing through.  Great stuff going on these days, I must say!

Not sure if I did this correctly, as I’ve never uploaded a youtube video before, but hopefully it works…(also, apologies in advance for the crappy cell phone footage and one-handed playing.  I tried to do video capturing  via VLC software but it crashed everytime).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJp_kOib6_o&feature=youtu.be

Here is a short video of a fairly recent WIP version.  ninnuzu helped out with a lot of stuff. (Thanks a bunch buddy!)  One of the cool features he did was get the skilift working, and it looks great!

He also showed me that it was possible to have moving lights (for the slalom) but I couldn’t quite figure out his method, so I ended up fading some led primitives.  Looks ok, I suppose.  There is a short part of the video where you can see the slalom in action.  Still need to work on making the slalom work better, and the exit ramp looks pretty crappy (wrong angle and too much gap).  Other things need to be tweaked.  In time…not working on it much…just a little here and there.

TNT2
                          Participant
                            @tnt2

Cool!

gigalula
                            Participant
                              @gigalula

Really nice Edizzle :good:

Welcome back  :yes:

Jodannar
                              Participant
                                @jodannar

Looking really great!

Ben Logan2
                                Participant
                                  @benlogan2

Just watched the YouTube video. Looks amazing, Dizzle. Played this one at Pacific Pinball Museum a few months ago. Great Gottlieb.

Pinbolt
                                  Participant
                                    @pinbolt

Wow, looks so good.

Scotty VH
                                      @scottt
                                      ModeratorMember

Just watched the video too. Looks awesome! I live the “chair” lift on the left and the slalom on the right. I’ve never seen this actual table and didn’t know it worked that way. Looking forward to the release and/or a playable Wip!

Pookamoondo
                                      Participant
                                        @pookamoondo

Any news on when this table will be playable? :)

edizzle
                                        Participant
                                          @edizzle

Wipeout_VP10_WIP

Hello all.  Sorry there has been no update on this table.  I haven’t touched it in months.  And seeing as I don’t know if I ever will finish it, here is a link to the WIP.  Anyone can feel free to finish it if they would like and formally release it.  It’s pretty playable, but needs some polishing in aesthetics as well as physics.  As you can see in the image, the slalom plastic and the plastic to the left of the ski lift do not fit within the cabinet.  I never knew that because I only ever looked at the FS.  I just tried the DS and noticed this.  That will need to be adjusted.  The slalom itself works alright, but is not perfect…it is not completely accurate, as sometimes the ball will appear to go past walls and over bumpers, etc, but the switches work pretty well.  It would be a matter of adjusting walls and bumpers to match the images of the slalom…which right now is just two ramps with images.  I didn’t try, but is it optimal now to use a collidable primitive in this case, rather than a non-collidable primitive and then use invisible walls?  Other than that, the physics could use some tuning…for example, it’s rather difficult to hit the left side drop-targets and the stand ups behind them consistently, and also not that easy to get the ball in the drop hole on the right.  Other details like the sling plastics aren’t the right size so the kicking rubber is exposed.  Stuff like that.

I guess I kind of lost the motivation to finish out the table.  I sort of have a desire to work on a few other tables, but I’m not committed to anything yet.  OK, enough of the talking, enjoy the WIP and have fun.

Oh, I want to note, in case anyone does want to finish it, and just to give credit where credit is due, Ninuzzu did the ski lift, the coding and the animation.  The base of this WIP was also from Ninuzzu, so thanks to him!

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

@rothbauerw

********************************************************
                                            Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?