Ideas for PinUP script mods

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NailBuster
      @nailbuster
      ModeratorMember

You’ll see I like throwing ideas/thoughts out there….some stick, some won’t :)

Here is this hours thought:

what do you think of pushing the ‘idea’ of tables script mods that would throw events to pupb2s as opposed to direct vpx playing always….similar to DOF enabled,  a PUP enabled table won’t actually play anything directly.
      What I mean is take the Tron Table for example, you’d still need all that complex logic and timers, but when it came down to ‘playing’ the media instead of playlistex you called PuPevent 505,1  and had pupb2s handle the playing.  It has some benefits…
      I could add some ‘fixed’ events in a range to do some basics.
      like PuPevent 700-710   for example:
      700=1,0 for global loop control (on/off)
      701=global volume
      etc…
      My thinking is that we could ‘PUP’-ready a table/vpx like a table is DOF enabled,  which means that it plays NO videos or sets up NO screens.  But it does all sorts of ‘complex’  things likes figures out multi-ball (send a PuPevent), start a game (different msg)….
      then anyone afterwards can use this info to create a pupb2s,  We’d just have to give them a list of  PuP events for that table  (maybe make a somewhat global list…like 601 is START GAME, 602 is drain, the big events….
      thoughts?
      TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

You’ll see I like throwing ideas/thoughts out there….some stick, some won’t :) Here is this hours thought:

what do you think of pushing the ‘idea’ of tables script mods that would throw events to pupb2s as opposed to direct vpx playing always….similar to DOF enabled, a PUP enabled table won’t actually play anything directly.
        What I mean is take the Tron Table for example, you’d still need all that complex logic and timers, but when it came down to ‘playing’ the media instead of playlistex you called PuPevent 505,1 and had pupb2s handle the playing. It has some benefits…
        I could add some ‘fixed’ events in a range to do some basics.
        like PuPevent 700-710 for example:
        700=1,0 for global loop control (on/off)
        701=global volume
        etc…
        My thinking is that we could ‘PUP’-ready a table/vpx like a table is DOF enabled, which means that it plays NO videos or sets up NO screens. But it does all sorts of ‘complex’ things likes figures out multi-ball (send a PuPevent), start a game (different msg)….
        then anyone afterwards can use this info to create a pupb2s, We’d just have to give them a list of PuP events for that table (maybe make a somewhat global list…like 601 is START GAME, 602 is drain, the big events….
        thoughts?

Honestly…you don’t even need to do anything for that. You are already supporting B2S with Pup, so its as simple as adding DOF Exxx triggers to the table script specifically meant to work with PuPB2S (just add a PuP “comment / label”). This is exactly what I did for Stranger Things for MX leds. I made new DOF Exxx triggers that were different than what Arngrim did for normal DOF. It’s also basically what I do for DOFLinx MX led mods for FP as well.

It’s really that simple. I actually basically do the same thing with FP DOFLinx and PuPB2S. FP does all the controlling, and simply pushes out a DOFLinx-PuP Exxx trigger command. Nothing more. Works great already.

NailBuster
          @nailbuster
          ModeratorMember

yup…we’re on the same page.

My PupEvent 502,1  was just going to be this in table script

Sub PupEvent(pEvent, pState)

if HasPuP Then DOF pEvent, pState

end Sub

TerryRed
            @terryred

As it is, everyone has the choice to do it either way.

I personally think that if you are doing a table mod anyway (with Timers and control sub routines), you might as well just use PuP commands and playlists, and keep the extra layer of PuPB2S (and B2S Server) out of the equation. Anyone can change up the videos I used for Tron without modding the table if they really want.

If you don’t want to touch the table at all…then you must accept the limitations of working with B2S Server using a PuPB2S. There are only so many miracles you can perform David…. (though you seem to always surprise me)  :)

TerryRed
              @terryred

….though there is an argument to trying to using PinUpB2s with table mods….

Once a table has been modded with DOF “Exxx” triggers to be used for PuP, this would allow the table to be used without PuP Player at all if someone wishes. No need to add any PuP code to the table (or add any IfHasPuP,etc), and the table would just push out DOF triggers like any other table. It can be hard to try to interpret the use of those DOF triggers for PuP though if you weren’t the original author.

Decisions…decisions…   like Morpheus said, “Everything starts with choice…”

NailBuster
                @nailbuster
                ModeratorMember

Another advantage is that Table script people can PuP-ready a table(without any knowledge of playlists/content)  and pass the event info to the ‘video-gurus’ and others to make their ‘PuP Paks’.

jbg4208
                Participant
                  @jbg4208

I played the Tron table with PUP and this is awesome but here is something I am wondering. I do not have any DOF or a topper in my cab but wonder if this could be incorporated to use say as a beacon light. Maybe resizing my b2s down about an inch at the top and have the video file for a beacon play in that spot when it is trigger with the rom or table event. Is that possible? Would have to use one of the available PUP options like topper or dmd ect. Would think it would be possible if DOF was setup in the table. But I don’t know for sure, just guessing. I don’t use DOF and only know a wee bit about scripting.

TerryRed
                    @terryred

Another advantage is that Table script people can PuP-ready a table(without any knowledge of playlists/content) and pass the event info to the ‘video-gurus’ and others to make their ‘PuP Paks’.

Definitely doable for “simple” table mods.

…but I couldn’t image Arngrim adding in DOF for MX Leds (he doesn’t have them) and passing that updated table to me to simply add in the MX led effects. I would need more control over the timing and possibly need to add more triggers,etc…

For my Tron mod…that would have been impossible for me to do without seeing the videos play out for timing reasons.

We are in new territory, and its certainly going to “evolve”.

I say, try doing as much as you can with a PuPB2S to start, and figure out what your limitations there are with the table…then try to do some additional Exxx triggers in a table script mod (with whatever Timers, triggers you need) to see if you can really do anything more.  Then if you can….see if those additional mods can became part of the table officially.

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

if you don’t have DOF or a topper…you can still have PinUP pop-up over your BackGlasss.  Like this person did:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsMk2NHwYuk

or do you mean something else?  like using another PuP screens as a pupup for events to seems like a beacon?

jbg4208
                      Participant
                        @jbg4208

if you don’t have DOF or a topper…you can still have PinUP pop-up over your BackGlasss. Like this person did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsMk2NHwYuk

like using another PuP screens as a pupup for events to seems like a beacon?

That is how mine is setup currently with Tron. But you are correct Having a video of a flashing beacon or lights that popup on the backglass.  Say in the High Speed, Lethal Weapon, or F14.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?