This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  senseless 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
     randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

Unclewilly how did you get started in vp? When did you start?

Unclewilly 
    Participant

oh man. that’s a good question.
    Started playing in early 2000 i think.
    First table build was actually in FP. Bad Cats coded from scratch. that was 2008 when i started released in 2009.
    First vp build was released in 2010. it was also bad cats. much easier using pinmame

2+

Some users who have liked this topic:

PinBill 
    Participant

Ubclewilly, for someone new looking to become an author, where do you suggest someone start? Is there an online resource available to get someone started?

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

2009!? Surprised! I would have thought a lot earlier then that.

Unclewilly 
    Participant

There’s a tutorial at vpforums. I think akilles did.
    How i learned, i found my favorite author who’s tables looked the best….. jpsalas. I would just pull the tables apart in the editor to see how he built stuff. Then compare the code to see how things worked.
    Then i started modding tables, night mods mostly.

Then once it all clicked i built my own.

For vpx and vp9.91. I would suggest most of the authors here.
    Fren is by far my favorite vpx author. His tables are beautiful, I’m using him as a guide for learning vpx.
    Icpjugglar, dozer, gtxjoe, jpsalas, anything Kodiak, or shup has worked on. All the code, and building techniques are readily available in their tables.

Get in the editor. Rip stuff apart. Its the best way to learn.

3+

Fulltilt 
    Participant

Hi Unclewilly :D
    Monster Bash is my favorite from you, just such an amazing and fun table. I have enjoyed many hours of playtime on your tables in my cab and will continue for a long time to come.

Nice to say “hi” and thanks very much again.

1+

senseless 
    Participant

Great tips to do reverse engineering :). I fully understand your choice of editors to learn the trade. I really enjoy your tables and especially the pinbot tables. They keep me coming back for more and especially the Machine Bride of Pinbot is one of my favourites. Still not mastered it to get to the billion score league. But one day… :).

As soon as time allows I want to invest in becoming an editor. I will start with the reverse engineering step the coming weeks to get more insight.

The interviews are a really nice initiative and thanks for all the time spend designing tables and sharing them with the community!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2017 VPinBall.com

Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account