Introduction

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    redrooster
    Participant
      @redrooster

Well past due, but here is my official intro. Around last July I came into the VP hobby knowing absolutely nothing about it. By October, I had a cabinet built, successfully running FP, VP9, VPX, and FX3 through PinballX. A lot of thanks go out to several of the threads/people here and at other similar sites.

Things have gotten a little more difficult now, given that i would like to figure out how to play games using PROC and PUP. I’m having a harder time with those things currently, specifically Evil Dead and the newest Stranger Things game, plus I see how awesome those FX3 games and that Tron game look on video using PuP, so I’d really like to get that working. Other than that, I’ve got another lingering issue with backglasses not closing in PinballX on certain games, and a new update to FX3 is causing a launch and backglass problem.

I’ll be posting my questions about any/all of those things soon, so I decided to do this proper introduction.

I’m using an i5 CPU with some sort of Nvidia video card, 42″ TV, and separate LED monitors for Backglass and DMD, and as you can see, I’m not so tech savvy, I just kinda figure things out as I go. I’ll post some pics maybe. I’m very happy with how my cabinet turned out and how it has been running. Just want to advance now into understanding more.

Thanks in advance for any help/lessons/learning I get moving forward.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Nice carpet! Cab looks good too but I’ve never understood why people don’t use real pinball rails and lockbar? Does that angle stock hurt your hands at all?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
        redrooster
        Participant
          @redrooster

The angle stock isn’t the most comfortable thing, that’s for certain.  As far as the lockbar, etc…  It’s a custom sized cab, that is either too wide or too slim for any standard cabinet sized rails or lockbar.  I admit it was a temporary measure that hasn’t been so temporary.  I’d like to get something better/more comfortable, in the future, whenever that may be.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Ah. Ok well that would explain the lockbar. You could still get rails. I have cut and welded a few lockbars for local people’s builds. Not hard to do if you can weld :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

redrooster
            Participant
              @redrooster

The other thing is, I put the launch button too high.  In hindsight, it was really stupid of me to do that, but it’s stuck where it’s at, so i had to cut into that angle aluminum to fit around it.  Simple enough, I guess, but if i got a lock bar or something similar, I’d need a better/cleaner look.

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Hmm. Why not make a new front panel ? This time you should be able measure where things should go more easily using the old one.

jmreedy
                Participant
                  @jmreedy

Welcome! I’m also a newcomer and in the process of putting my first cab together. We have a local bowling alley that has a decent collection of pinball machines so I went one day after work with a sack of quarters and played for 30 minutes on different cabs to see if one had a particular feel that I enjoyed. Then I just jotted down some dimensions for button placement and transferred them over to my cab.

If you have access to any local machines I would recommend doing the same for when the time does come to build another housing.

Jason

jmreedy
                  Participant
                    @jmreedy

Also, I got all of my cabinet parts from http://www.marcospecialties.com/, which as been a great hardware resource. Paul over at http://www.virtuapin.net does make custom sized lockbars but they can be a bit pricey. I was going to go that route until I found a 40″ TV that fit into a Stern standard body build with a few shallow dados cut into the sides.

Sven34
                    Participant
                      @sven34

Welcome  :bye:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?