Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend – Milwaukee, WI

• This topic has 24 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bord.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    bord
      @bord
      MembervipContributorModerator

Are any other VPers heading to the Midwest Gaming Classic this coming weekend (April 14 & 15) in Milwaukee? I’m heading up for the third year in a row and am excited to see the new venue. I know @scottacus will be there, trying to find a Capersville to play. Should be a great time.

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Scottacus
      Participant
        @scottacus
        MembervipContributor

Should be a great time as always!   :good:   :good:   :good:

Tons of machines and a new venue.  I recommend going on Saturday if you can make it because many pins get pulled from service throughout the day on Sunday as the owners get packed up to head home.

I emailed Dan Loosen, the organizer of the event a week or two ago and he said

For the venue, it’s more than double the space, but you know us, we’re going to fill it!  There will be more space though too…
        Parking shouldn’t be too hard.  The Hilton which is attached via skywalk is offering an $8 parking special, and there is an app I think called Park Milwaukee that shows other nearby lots.  On Sunday, street parking is also free.
        rothbauerw
          @rothbauerw
          ModeratorContributorMembervip

Just moved from WI to FL.  If I were still in WI, I’d make plans to be there.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

bord
            @bord

Wait, isn’t that the wrong direction? I live and St. Louis and we head to Wisconsin every chance we get, especially in summer.

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

I’ve been telling Roth that same thing!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

rothbauerw
                @rothbauerw
                ModeratorContributorMembervip

I’d rather be hot than cold.  This has been the best winters I can remember.  I’ve been trying to talk randr into moving south, be he says he won’t even come visit!

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

When I retire I will live in your spare room

for IOS and Android

Scottacus
                  Participant
                    @scottacus
                    MembervipContributor

I don’t know Roth might be on to something.  I look out the window and we just got another inch of snow overnight and it’s the second week of April…

Wisconsin’s great for most of the year and we don’t have giant insects/reptiles as my wife likes to point out but winter sucks.  Not as much as up by Randr but none the less long and cold.

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

we got nearly 1″ too last night! it does suck but even for Minnesota this is not normal

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                      Participant
                        @borgdog
                        MemberContributorvip

Ha, and I’m sitting here looking out the window at the 2 1/2 feet still on the ground….

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

Oh we have 6″-12″ on the ground here still just 1″ fresh last night

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                            @terryred
                            MemberContributorModerator

…and yet I’m in Canada with only a few snow flakes coming down.  Mildest winter in a long time.

Scottacus
                            Participant
                              @scottacus
                              MembervipContributor

I met up with Bord yesterday at a pre-event for the MGC at Tom Taylor’s “Pinball Warehouse”.  Tom is a collector who has amassed over 250 machines plus and additional 40 or more arcade machines (not video but old fashioned puck bowling machines and the like).  He takes the proceeds from the event and donates them to the Milwaukee Rescue Shelter charity.  I got a chance to Talk with Tom and he said he got his first machine in 1982 and later set a goal to collect every Gottlieb Wedge Head machine made from 1960 – 1978 and he also has a great collection of other Williams and Bally machines from this same era.  The event has a set limit of 100 so there were no long lines waiting for machines.

Tom’s collection spans the years, I got my first chance to play a Humpty Dumpty and I also played Theater of Magic so you can get a feel for the wide span of machines.  Sadly he didn’t have Capersville, OXO, Sea Ray or Mariner but he did have a Gulfstream which is a machine that I’ve been thinking about making for VP so I payed about 12 games on that one to get a feel for it.

The other highlight of the event was meeting Bord, what a nice guy.  I learned a lot from him about the mysteries (at least to me) of how primitives and lighting work in VP.  I look forward to working with him on many more tables in the future.

I was originally planning on going to the MGC later today because the crowds are massive earlier in the day but the weather here is set for freezing rain later so it’s time to pack up and head back to Milwaukee for the MGC this morning.

bjschneider93
                              Participant
                                @bjschneider93

If I still lived in Wisconsin I would be there. Unfortunately I also moved south about 5 years ago

Ark Malmeida
                                Participant
                                  @arkmalmeida

Wow that collection of Tom’s sounds amazing!  Would be really cool just to have the opportunity to walk around and check out all the interesting artwork on those older machines.

bord
                                    @bord

The Tom Taylor event is so unique, it really makes MGC special. The extent of games and their incredible condition is a real treat.

Shared-from-Lightroom-mobile1
                                    Shared-from-Lightroom-mobile2

Getting to meet @scottacus was a highlight of the event for me. If you’ve played any of his projects you know this guy is talented and knows a good game when he sees one. Cool to be able to put a face with a name and play a few EMs together.

Except for driving home in an April blizzard, I had a great trip north for MGC and hope to do it again next year.

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

Wow. Lots of games holly cow! More pictures please

for IOS and Android

bord
                                        @bord

This was about 1/3 of the collection. I wish I had more wide photos, mostly took photos of high scores.

Scottacus
                                        Participant
                                          @scottacus
                                          MembervipContributor

Tom’s collection is massive. Bord’s photo shows only one of FOUR rooms that are filled with high quality, great condition machines just like in his photo!

I know it’s a year away but I think we should make this event a “VPinball Get-Together” for next year.  Meeting Bord was the highlight of the event for me and it would be great to meet others from this forum.  There are only about 100 people at this special showing and it lasts for three hours so it is not crowded and there is plenty of time to meet up and play pinball.  The downside is that there are only 100 tickets issued and they sell out quickly so planning this earlier than later is a good thing.

If EM’s aren’t your thing, there were about 20 new SS games at the event as well.  I wonder if they belonged to Dan Loosen the organizer of the MGC because he said that he brought about 20 machines to Tom’s event.   At any rate I’m been thinking about asking Tom if he would be interested in having me bring my “Multiball” Cab to next year’s event.  Some of the pinball collectors that I’ve talked with don’t have a very high opinions of virtual machines so it would be nice to show the pinball community one with full DOF feedback and hundreds of tables loaded on it.

There is about 9000 square feet of building and it’s divided into four rooms so figuring out who is who is a bit of a challenge.  Bord said that he would be wearing a certain Pinaball hoodie but there were lots of guys with pinball hoodies so I ended up meeting several of these folks until I finally found Bord.  If we do this I’d suggest that Randr put a distinctive colored VPinball hoodie on the VPinball store so that it is easier to figure out who is from this forum.

Anybody up for this?

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

We have hoodies in the store :) i would be willing to go next year

http://vpinball.com/shop/hoodie-2/

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?