Mission Pinball Framework to Visual Pinball

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Jim Martin
    Participant
      @jimm5six

Hello,

I admit I am not a regular poster here, but i have provided many members pictures, measurements and other resource materials so hopefully I can now ask for something. :)

I know that there has been some talk, maybe not on this forum , but I’ve heard whispers… about creating a link between Mission Pinball Framework(MPF) and VP. I know that this has been done for Skeleton Game and I was hoping someone smarter than me could help me to understand how to do this for MPF. I know that on the MPF side someone has pushed all the events out to BCP (not even sure what that means).

I am creating a custom pinball machine with my friend (Sliderpoint here) and have been using VP to test and design shots and layout. We have worked very hard to “fix” dimensional issues with VP primitives and am very happy with how the virtual is translating to reality. I am now working on the code that makes the game playable and would really love to have a way to test the code in VP as well. If I could load the table on my vCab and play a game instead of just smacking the ball around that would be amazing! I have even had some requests to release my table in VP when it is complete and this would allow me to do that.

I am willing to help out of course or even try to get this accomplished myself. I just need to know where to start…

Thanks,

Jim

freelunch
      Participant
        @freelunch

I’m not the best person to talk about this with, but I wanted to reply anyways in case no one more knowledgeable replies. From the little I’ve read, MPF is a framework for developing code for P-ROC with the purpose of being more developer-friendly than pyprocgame, yes? I know of one example of a Visual Pinball table working with pyprocgame, and that’s Cactus Canyon Continued. The original code was modified to work with Visual Pinball, though, but I don’t know how much. Had CCC been developed with VP beta testing in mind, I’m not sure how practical that approach would be.

Assuming it’s not something currently workable in VP, you could head over here and make a feature request. I’ve thought about this, not as much or as specifically as you, but just the idea of making code that works with real and VP tables would be cool.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Ah yes. I’ve been following this project on Pinside. Very cool.

Send @ninuzzu a PM. I think he is your best bet.

Also, would you mind sharing any of your geometry-corrected meshes for the VPX table builders? Always great to have improved elements to work with.

Best of luck!

CarnyPriest
          Participant
            @carnypriest

Ninuzzu or @dozer.

Or the original source who started it all, chepas aka horsey who still posts at VPF on occasion.

HauntFreaks
              @hauntfreaks
              vipContributorMember

Mission Pinball Framework

if you see chepas, ask him where jaws is… ;)

Jim Martin
              Participant
                @jimm5six

@freelunch thanks. yeah CCC was the Skeleton Game code I was talking about I think.

@bord
                thanks, I will send a pm. @sliderpoint should of had all the fixed primitives and shared them already. He works in the VP stuff much more than I. I just kind of f around and then he makes it all work. :)

horsepin
                Participant
                  @horseyhorsey

CCC isn’t Skeleton game, it’s a std pyprocgame with added color dots. (unless it was updated for skeletongame, doubt it)

SkeletonGame is Moceans fork of pyprocgame adding color and an SDL display window (moving away from PyGame)

Can’t help you with MPF because I’ve never used it and don’t intend to at this point, but they do have a much more in depth documentation.

When I first started with P-ROC bits it was really difficult and especially hooking up to VP. It’s all come a long way since then and its decent at this point. I’ve been trying to get my .Net version working that will run through the B2S server (direct output)

Jim Martin
                  Participant
                    @jimm5six

thanks for clarifying that @horsepin.

-Jim

LTA
                    Participant
                      @luvthatapex

I’m working on a skeletongame original. Love to get it bridged to your .net version since I can’t figure out how to get VPX and my skeletongame original working. Seems it requires WPC type game to work. Anyway pm me if you’d like another game to try your .net config.

To the OP, Jan is one of the main missionpinball devs and he might be interested in helping get your VPX game connected to mission pinball. I think his contact info is on their site.

CCC isn’t Skeleton game, it’s a std pyprocgame with added color dots. (unless it was updated for skeletongame, doubt it) SkeletonGame is Moceans fork of pyprocgame adding color and an SDL display window (moving away from PyGame) Can’t help you with MPF because I’ve never used it and don’t intend to at this point, but they do have a much more in depth documentation. When I first started with P-ROC bits it was really difficult and especially hooking up to VP. It’s all come a long way since then and its decent at this point. I’ve been trying to get my .Net version working that will run through the B2S server (direct output)

horsepin
                      Participant
                        @horseyhorsey

Np Jim.

@LTA

The older VP skeleton template I put out should still be on git. I did have a newer template and logged/blogged whilst retheming a VP Space Hawk (borgdog) into a Captain Caveman. This was to make it a bit easier to pick up. Because the game was so simple and contained alot of your pinball bread & butter I thought it would be a nicer springboard compared to deeper games. Site is disabled at the moment but if you want to send a pm and I can sort it out some time.

Reaper802
                        Participant
                          @reaper802

Did anything more ever come of this?  I am looking for the same secret sauce to glue MPF and or Skeleton to VP10.  I’m looking to do a new rules set for an old EM I own and then perhaps do a totally custom machine using either P-ROC or FAST.  Being able to test layout and flow on my virtual cabinet while also developing my rule sets would be a huge time and money saver.

Jim Martin
                          Participant
                            @jimm5six

No, nothing yet unfortunately. SliderPoint is working on it when he can but there has not been any forward movement. I will update this thread when there is.

-Jim

mfuegemann
                            Participant
                              @mfuegemann

Hi Guys,

is anyone still interested in the topic? I got a Skeleton table running using the VPX bridge provided by jabdoa2 and MPF 0.52.2.
                              I can get switch hits across to MPF as well as reading solenoid and lamp changes back in VPX. There is some tweaking necessary to utilize the autofire_coils (bumpers, slingshots).
                              Enabling/disabling such autofire_coils depending on a specific game mode will perhaps require an artifical switch or lamp to tell VPX what to do. (Hey, that sounds like lamp driven solenoids on some Gottlieb games…) But for now I am confident that I can use VPX to build the MPF game code for a later real pin.

Regards
                              Michael

Sliderpoint
                              Participant
                                @sliderpoint
                                MemberContributor

Very much interested in this. Is Jan’s bridge available on the mpf site? I’ve been out of it for a awhile unfortunately.

-Mike

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

interested in this as well, but you are using skeletongame to make this work, so still using the proc install?

i haven’t seen anything recently on the mpf site, but don’t follow it as much as I used to.  Definitely interested to see what you have going on.

mfuegemann
                                  Participant
                                    @mfuegemann

Hi,
                                    the bridge is on GitHub, but without any documentation.

https://github.com/missionpinball/mpf-vpcom-bridge

The Skeleton game was set up by me, meaning it is a VPX table with only basic functionality. Trough, Autoplunger, Bumper, Slingshots, Flippers and some Lights.
                                    Just to test the communication. No P-ROC necessary.

I will code a real EM pin and upload it here.

BorgDog
                                    Participant
                                      @borgdog
                                      MemberContributorvip

Ahh my misunderstanding. If you wouldn’t mind uploading your skeleton game as well, we could see the basics. I assume there is an mpf side to it as well as the VP table.

Thanks for getting this going, I had played with it a while back back couldn’t get stuff working.

mfuegemann
                                      Participant
                                        @mfuegemann

Here is the first draft. The file inculdes the Bridge, the MPF machine and the VPX table.

Attachments:
                                        2 users thanked author for this post.
                                        BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

does this need to be in any particular location?

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

I keep getting a “ActiveX component can’t create object: ‘MPF.Controller’ ”

MPF is running (my MPF table I’ve built runs fine).  it says it registered when I tell it to register the file… I have python 3.6.7 and MPF 0.52.2

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?