My Table Template for Original Tables

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    LynnInDenver
    Participant
      @lynnindenver

OK, B2S is now “added” to the table. For some reason on my system, I can only use the bitmapped LED styles, the “Galaxy7” isn’t visible. I have “lights” for the active player. Naturally, the B2S is very, very slapdash right now, as it just has to function, not look pretty.

My next goal is to get some sort of nvram basically set up.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Attachments:
      LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

OK, got the NVRAM set up… as well as a nascent menu similar to ScottyWic’s menu system in his first Stranger Things table, which was almost too ambitious for doing all this yesterday. Right now, it saves last game scores, one high score, 3 or 5 ball, and whether or not Free Play is turned on, and the menu lets you change the ball number, ball save time, Free Play enable, and clearing the high score. I also added display rollovers for attract mode like early solid state pinballs would do.

One of the concerns is that I understand that B2S doesn’t as easily support alphanumeric versus straight numeral. Odds are good I’m going to stick with UltraDMD and/or PinUp Player for my tables for simplicity, which means I’ll need to look at what ScottyWic’s done with his setup.

Next up is “player state save and reload” of holding onto things like kickback (basically, one kickback per game to start, not ball, and it carries over) and enabling a Hold Bonus/Multiplier state.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

Attachments:
        BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

b2s can do alphanumeric, my nobs table on here and Jp’s old scarface vp9 found on vpf  both use them.  I had a discussion on vpuniverse about them when i was figuring it out.  It’s not totally straight forward, but it is doable.

I’m currently working through my own table with trying remember player state from ball to ball and am having issues with drop targets and resetting them back to the earlier state, just coincidentally started working on today so hopefully I’ll figure it out.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

LynnInDenver
          Participant
            @lynnindenver

OK, so got Shiva’s state saver installed, with a little added feature to account for the drop target bank. I also altered the kickback, now it saves per player, a player can have more than one “stacked”, and the table has an added setting for whether or not it “refreshes” if you have none left and lose your ball.

In other news, I did attend ScottyWic’s panel at the Pinball Showdown on Sunday. I may or may not dig a little more into his Orbital Pin framework and see if that’s going to be a good starter given that he’s got basics implemented for UltraDMD and the PUP active backglass, as well as RGB lighting.

Attachments:
            1 user thanked author for this post.
            LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

Kind of a minor change (yet a major one), and a bug fix regarding the drop target memory retention where they wouldn’t reset correctly (basically order of operations, changed it so it just reads the light states and sets the drops accordingly at the end of the “set active player state” subroutine, and I stopped doing the regular drop target bank reset in the player change routine). The biggest change is I changed from using VPX’s “save data” functions to writing a text file in the User directory of VPX. I prefer to do this as it’s a quick way to delete or edit the NVRAM file if it becomes necessary. I pulled the knowledge for the routine out of the matching feature in the build for Aztec.

Attachments:
              LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

UltraDMD is now implemented. Mostly copied from scottywic’s work in Orbital, I really like the way he abstracted out some of the parameters in the DMD calls so you don’t have to specify all those parameters every time, you just call the sub and pass it four arguments that it then slots in and calls UltraDMD for you. Some of the instances I set up are basically meant to be placeholders for table-specific graphics.

Attachments:
                1 user thanked author for this post.
                spookyMoulder
                Participant
                  @spookymoulder

@LynnInDenver  thanks this is really going to help you’re a lifesaver. I tried for about 5 hours to get it to work. I was able to bring up the UltraDMD with the DMDInitialize code by myself but the score was not working. This will help thanks again.  :good:

LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

*Blows dust off thread*

I’m working on the template again, trying to get PuPlayer implemented. I’ve made a decision to set up my template in a manner like OrbitalPin – active backglass, but with a switching mechanism to go between scores on backglass, or DMD, or Topper, or PostDMD, and a matching switch mechanism for where game messages go. UltraDMD will still be available, but I’ll limit it to an optional scoreboard and keep messages in PuPlayer. This is a change because, well, until a few months ago, I didn’t have a cabinet, and hadn’t planned far enough ahead on that build to realize it was going to be PostDMD. Given that I’ve been messing around with implementing PostDMD on other tables, it seemed about right to revisit my template. One of the benefits is that, if a player has trouble with UltraDMD not running, then it’s not a big deal.

Part of the change will also involve dumping DirectB2S support; odds are incredibly good that, if anyone plays an original table, they’ve been putting PuPlayer on their system anyway. Yes, I’ll be getting a file uploaded once I’ve got the basic PuPlayer setup added in, and what I don’t need to keep stripped out.

I’m also stripping out the Orbital Config system; there’s enough stuff going on in terms of things that need to be set up at the top of the script that the menu has become somewhat cumbersome and pointless.

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

OK, got the scores added in, for at least the backglass (I’ll build the major part of the switching once I’m sure I’ve got scores and messaging at least working initially, since then it’s a matter of Case statements to run the positions on each screen), so I’ve been able to “kill” directB2S on the template. Still working on getting it up to where I feel I can post a new version; I actually wound up bugfixing the ball save as well.

LynnInDenver
                      Participant
                        @lynnindenver

Got my basic scoreboard and messaging set up and working on the backglass. I just need to do some tweaking of that setup, then it’s going to be time to do the “fun” part of my plan – setting up the “configure these according to the selections made at the top of the script” to put things on backglass, LCD DMD, topper or PostDMD, complete with appropriate sizing and positioning. It does mean in part adding an additional “abstraction” so that I only assign positions on screens, and don’t have to Case Select every time I call the scoreboard/message.

LynnInDenver
                        Participant
                          @lynnindenver

And there is success! I’ve gotten a proper setup in place for PinUp Player. I can now change score and/or messaging between the Backglass, DMD, Topper and PostDMD, with features to set the location and size of the PostDMD, and only the ones selected will activate. UltraDMD gets its own toggle independently of the PuP stuff, but is now just a scoreboard; this is mostly a concession to the fact that I’m aware of HyperPin 2125 “Mark II”, Dazz’s new backbox for his cab where he’s got a backglass, PostDMD (which he stuffs PuP-Packs on) and DMD. Overlays on the backglass change based on whether or not scoring is on the backglass. DirectB2S is now gone, gone, gone.

OK, yes, this may actually be an “obscene” level of user configurability. I’m not sure it’s unjustified, though. :wacko:

Attachments:
                          Thalamus
                            @thalamus
                            ContributorMemberModerator

@LynnInDenver : I would recommend that you uploaded this as a regular upload with support topic. We just have to approve it once, and it would not be lost in a inactive thread down the line. Just a suggestion. :whistle:

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

@LynnInDenver : I would recommend that you uploaded this as a regular upload with support topic. We just have to approve it once, and it would not be lost in a inactive thread down the line. Just a suggestion. :whistle:

I’ll probably do so sometime soon, once I feel it’s got a sufficient state of maturity. Which will probably be soon. I do need to do some work with the video media at the very least, add a few calls in for specific events, find a background video that’s a proper loop, that sort of thing. :good:

Thalamus
                                @thalamus
                                ContributorMemberModerator

Good ! :good:

LynnInDenver
                                Participant
                                  @lynnindenver

Nailbuster gave me some recommendations, so I’ve made a lot of changes to the scoring handling, and cleaned up a few things so that it reads better, has explicit handling of only one player versus more than one (one player will only display the score and which ball, more than one gives info on everyone playing), and added a secondary characteristic of color per player to the scoring. I’ve got a few more ideas for things I can add in to basically be “examples” for changing the color of playfield lights, too.

LynnInDenver
                                  Participant
                                    @lynnindenver

Got in a slight rabbithole adding some basic cabinet tilt functionality to the table – kills flippers, scoring and insert lights, by responding to the “T” key. I even have a “tilt warnings” counter. I still need to tie in the virtual tilt bob. I may wind up redoing the tilt if I find I’ve done it wrong implementing it specifically for cabinets. We’ll see. I haven’t found a good tutorial yet for that.

I also got the basic message videos in place, although I need to edit a LOT of them to make them duration appropriate before I can post the latest version.

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

And been trying to add one of the last “big” things… high score name entry. I might have to tear down and redo all the “end the game” stuff, as I can’t get it to not go through the rest of the routine (including saving the file) before it takes in the new high score and sorting it into position. Given that the table template is well past “early solid state”, I’ll probably remove the bonus ladder countdown so I can just make a clean “end the game” routine.

LynnInDenver
                                      Participant
                                        @lynnindenver

Oh, good, I didn’t actually have to tear all that down. I just had to remove an extra check that I didn’t need to be doing as part of the “end of bonus” sequence. So the “enter your name” is now working correctly.

Does anyone have any indication if “enter your name” is done for each player beating a high score before the next player gets their last ball, or all at once after the last player’s last ball is done?

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

all at once after the last players ball is done I would think, other wise you may have multiple people enter for grand champion or whatever when really only one of them is.  don’t think I’ve ever seen a machine do it after each player.

LynnInDenver
                                          Participant
                                            @lynnindenver

Yeah, I’m trying to get the high score input routine to do it at the end with all players… and I’m getting really strange behavior now, like only allowing one player to play, or the previous broken behavior of dumping right back into the attract routines. It’s really the last thing, but I’m starting to fight with the idea of just porting my PuP screen madness over to the Orbital Pin framework and starting to work with that for my upcoming table ideas, if only because it’s apparent I’ve got some really fragile stuff set up that I can’t mess with without breaking it in some fashion.

This doesn’t mean I haven’t learned a thing or three about VPX with this project.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?