New issue: Backglass won't display in game

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    GCS2000
    Participant
      @gcs2000

First let me apologize for all of these posts but it seems every time I work on the cab a new issue arises.

So thanks to NB I was able to get back into the screen configuration setup and fix my first BG issue.  That issue was the BG monitor wasn’t showing anything other than windows desktop when in pinup.  All fixed really easy.

Now my issue is that in game my BG won’t show at all.  All I have the is red Visual Pinball standard pinup BG.  Game works and plays running from popper and the game runs perfectly running directly from VPX (with proper bg etc).

So what setting have I messed up now?

In addition I still cannot get anything to show on the DMD when in pinup, not even the default pinup.  I am running a pinDMDV3.  I swear it seems the real DMD is more of an issue and I am beginning to regret spending the money on it.

As always thanks in advance for the help.

Greg

Cameron
      Participant
        @cameron

I’m  still having a few issues with the DMD in PUP as well but it is working perfection on the emulators…. when it is working in the emulators, it is so awesome…. In PinballX I had the DMD working fine for the FE and it was awesome there. I think once you get through the initial hurdles, you won’t regret the purchase… I need to knock out a few other gremlins first and then I can focus on the DMD in PuP… If I find something out interesting I will let you know.. good luck!

GCS2000
        Participant
          @gcs2000

Well DMD wise I can deal with it not working in PUP as long as it works in games for now.  BG on the other hand has to work in games it does if I run from VPX straight and it was all working fine in game until I made the change to get a BG showing in PUP.

No idea what I messed up to screw up the BG but I am sure its me.

Cameron
          Participant
            @cameron

So if you run through VPX without PuP you do get the BG to display?

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

to setup real dmds see here:  http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=hardware

the only way to see your BG during vpx is if you accidentally set KeepDisplaysOn to 2   or Popper isn’t ‘hiding’ at all because its not running as-admin?

only set pinupmenu.exe to run as admin and see if that works.

GCS2000
              Participant
                @gcs2000

Thanks again NB will look at things when I get home tonight but I am 100% positive pinupmenu is the only one marked as admin as I had seen that mentioned several times before.

Cameron yes if I start VPX on its on it runs just fine and shows the BG and DMD and tables play great, no isssues.  Essentially I can do most anything with the cab I want in VPX and PBFX3 (except get the dmd and BG working right here) but when using an FE (either one PUP or PFX) it goes downhill.

Cameron
                Participant
                  @cameron

I had issues like this with PinballX. The thing that fixed it was moving where my displays were in relation to each other. I had Display 2 on the left of display one. I moved it to the right in the display properties in windows and tadaaa that fixed it. Not sure if it is the same with yours, but might be worth a try?

GCS2000
                  Participant
                    @gcs2000

Willing to try anything, lol.  My displays are set up with one on top of the other (i.e. 2 on top of 1 with 2 being the BG display)

Silly thing is it was working just fine in game until I fixed pinup menu getting it to show the BG in the menu system.  That broke it in game.

Like I mentioned somewhere before I seem fix one thing and break something else or break several somethings.

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

when you say the game doesn’t show BG.. can you alt-tab and you see the game backglass hiding behind another display during gameplay?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      GCS2000
                      Participant
                        @gcs2000

Didn’t try that, will do tonight.

All that shows on the BG screen is the red visual pinball default screen that you see in pup menu.

Got a lot to do tonight now.  First thing is to update pup.  Didn’t realize I was so far behind (just have the base main package), then check all these things you guys have mentioned.  Hopefully it will be one of these items and something simple.

Thanks again for the help.

GCS2000
                        Participant
                          @gcs2000

NB – Some had some success tonight!

BG issue seems to be fixed – it seems I had the leave display on with a value on it and didn’t realize it and thus the BG was being blocked.  So woohoo on that issue.

DMD – this is is fixed … sort of.  Thanks to the hardware link you gave me above and your pupdmd file update I know have a working DMD in the menu system and see the Pinup Popper DMD displayed.  So double woohoo there!

New issue is related to recordings (should I start a new post?).  Recording BG and PF works just fine (FYI I am using NVIDIA GeForce Experience and is set up per Terry’s video).  I run into a problem when trying to record the DMD.  When I choose that option from pinup it loads the table.  PF, BG, DMD all come up as usual.  When I press R (for record) nothing happens.  And then after a few seconds (10 maybe) the entire computer locks up and the only way I can get it back is to power off the computer and power it back on and wait for windows to reload.  Once that is done I go back into pinup and run it play tables etc.

So recording the DMD seems to be my only other issue right now.  Hopefully someone has an idea on this.

System specs

Intel 3.4GHz i7 (older chip), 16gb ram, GeForce 1060, 2 displays (BG and 4K playfield), pinDMD3

Greg

NailBuster
                            @nailbuster
                            ModeratorMember

there is 3 log files in the recordings subfolder,  look at each one for any system errors.

only issue i’ve seen with recording is when your PuPDisplay is ‘off-screen’… either the x,y is negative value or the width,height is larger than display… That will cause the recorder to not like it, but never seen ‘crash’ before.  really is no diff between BG recording and DMD recording other than parameter sent to recordstart.bat.

GCS2000
                            Participant
                              @gcs2000

Ok that will be on tonight’s to do list then.  At least I am getting closer!  If I can get this record DMD situation ironed out then I should be good to go on autorecord and perhaps can get my VP tables all done.

On a side note I DLed a bunch of wheel art images last night and put those in place and man do they really help to complete the look in popper.  I guess I’m a dork because putting the wheel art on the tables I have the BG and PF recordings done for put a big smile on my face at 12:30 last night.  Gave me a feeling of accomplishment, lol.

Thanks again for the help NB.  Will report back once I check logs.

GCS2000
                              Participant
                                @gcs2000

Ok working on the cabinet tonight here is what I see.

Log files – I don’t see anything that looks like an error.

DMD position and size.  I assume I should be looking at it under the configurations section and size is set as Terry Red did in his video 999/176 position is set to 0 & 0

What else should I look at – should I post the logs?

NailBuster
                                  @nailbuster
                                  ModeratorMember

post the ffmpeglogs…ffmpeg log files should tell you why it didn’t record the dmd… but I don’t see how ffmpeg works recording your backglass but not dmd,  the only diff is the positions passed to the recording.

GCS2000
                                  Participant
                                    @gcs2000

How do I post it as it keeps telling me file type not allowed

Also if I cut and past I get a 403 forbidden error on submit

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus
                                      ContributorMemberModerator

zip the content you try to upload.

change to a different format in your post – eg “code”

GCS2000
                                      Participant
                                        @gcs2000

neither option works for me   :wacko:

TerryRed
                                          @terryred
                                          MemberContributorModerator

…unless his PuP DMD position has an odd value, like a -1 or is offset.

GCS2000
                                          Participant
                                            @gcs2000

…unless his PuP DMD position has an odd value, like a -1 or is offset.

And where should I check this?

In configdisplays it shows 999×176 position is 0, 0.  Of course it is also turned off since I am using a real DMD

What else should look at?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?