Paying for resources

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bord
      @bord
      MembervipContributorModerator

Limited resources of good quality seem to be my biggest obstacle as a table builder. Recently I struck up a conversation with a Pinsider who wants to share the cost of a professional playfield scan. The PF isn’t in great shape but it will be a huge improvement over what is currently available. It is a table I’ve wanted to fix for a while (there is a VPX version but with lousy images). I’m seriously considering the $40 split.

Have any of you ever paid to get your hands on a missing resource for a table you really wanted to build?

gtxjoe
      Participant
        @gtxjoe

Sure.  I think randr wins for picking up Fire!   ;-)   I bought Transformer toys for the TF build…   I know people chipped in for a LOTR balrog model for a build that never got released…

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

I’ve bought at least 2 game manuals for the info just to build VP tables and have the map from it (even with their inaccuracies).  $40 for a pro playfield scan? I’d do it.

BorgDog
          Participant
            @borgdog
            MemberContributorvip

Now that I think about it you could probably say I bought my Golden Arrow machine just so I could strip it down and scan it to get a better image for the vp table I had already made. That’s probably only part of the reason though… probably  :wacko:

bord
              @bord

Man, paying for a scan is small potatoes compared to buying a machine.

I’m going for it.

HauntFreaks
                @hauntfreaks
                vipContributorMember

why does the pinside guy want the PF scan??

Jesperpark
                Participant
                  @jesperpark

I’m willing to contribute for resources if it helps getting a table or 2 built. Cough Cough Dark Knight! :whistle:

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    ContributorMemberModerator

I would be willing too.
                    For cases like this, where the author needs to take money out of his own pockets a paypal donation link like the ones over at vpu wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Ginsonic
                    Participant
                      @ginsonic

Hobbies naturally cost money. Count me in !

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      RustyCardores
                        @rustycardores
                        MemberModerator

Damn I wish these playfields were near me so that I could have them scanned for you. :(

bord
                          @bord

why does the pinside guy want the PF scan??

He is making decals to restore his playfield. I’ve seen the scan. It is planked and has some wear, but nothing that can’t be repaired in PS.

I would be willing too. For cases like this, where the author needs to take money out of his own pockets a paypal donation link like the ones over at vpu wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

Hobbies naturally cost money. Count me in !

Great to know there are potential collaborators on a future project. I’ll swing this one but thank you.

Unclewilly
                          Participant
                            @unclewilly

I bought the hand from pinball magic. And a couple of plastics from cftbl.  5 manuals and the trunk from theater of magic

Unclewilly
                            Participant
                              @unclewilly

If there is something specific you need,  pm me.  I’ve been collecting resources for quite some time

wrd1972
                              Participant
                                @wrd1972
                                MembervipContributor

In the interest of preservation. Anyway that scans can be made of playfields…regardless of the machine, is a very worthwhile thing to do. As we all know, machines are becoming more scarce as the years go by. By having these resources available, it will be easier to restore machines on into the future. Not sure if it can be done, but can a truly dead nuts accurate scan be taken and a sign shop reproduce a single graphic that can be laid on a new sheet of drilled plywood? That would be bad ass!

I know if I were recreating a machine I really liked, I would drop $40 in a heartbeat to have a super high quality PF image while doing my part for preserving the machines PF image for restoration projects yet to come. I know many Pinsiders frown on VP. But there are benefits to what we do for them as well.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus
                                  ContributorMemberModerator

It is no doubt a benefit for both the virtual and the real pin community that HQ artwork is preserved.

Kind of what HF is talking about in the other thread I guess. Don’t do destructive editing to the resources.

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

:good:

Sure. I think randr wins for picking up Fire! ;-) I bought Transformer toys for the TF build… I know people chipped in for a LOTR balrog model for a build that never got released…

yeah I actually purchased 2 Fires! Due to some weird  circumstances while looking for one. I’d do it again if I got involved in another build that needed resources  :good:

********************************************************
                                    Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                    for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?