phantom of the opera

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    robwaade
    Participant
      @robwaade

anyone creating a vpx version it would be fun to see one

Dark
        @dark
        vipMemberContributor

I’d like to see it too, love the DE art work but I don’t know of anyone actively working on it or interested in it currently……though I could always be wrong.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
        robwaade
        Participant
          @robwaade

finally a response i thought i posted a lame idea thanks dark yeah artwork is awesome i have the real machine its fun to play and the rom sounds arent bad either hopefully someone will create a new version :bye:

Drybonz
          Participant
            @drybonz

If you starting posting scans from your machine, I bet you will see some interested table designers in no time.

robwaade
            Participant
              @robwaade

never done that is there a good way to do it with phone  camera

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

I don’t know much about it… I’m sure one of the scanning gurus will jump in here and give you some help though.

I’m pretty sure they will suggest you borrow someone’s nice camera for it… but we will see.

robwaade
                Participant
                  @robwaade

thanks alot im  willing to help out in anyway thanks for idea :good:

Dark
                    @dark
                    vipMemberContributor

The best way to do it is to remove plastics, clean them and use a flatbed scanner to scan them.  Not every one has a flatbed scanner however so what you could do instead is just put the plastic on a white piece of paper, or a light grey I think might actually would work best (white creates some glare) and center the plastic in the piece of paper and set up your camera directly above the plastic.

What you really want to try to avoid is adding any kind of perspective to the shot, so some tips:

-Try to keep the subject (plastic) in the center of the frame/shot

-Set up lights above but not directly above, set them to the left and right of the subject to avoid glare showing up in photo (this can be tricky)

-Try to have the graphics fill as much of the frame as possible while leaving some border.

For consistent color and exposure try not to use camera flash but rather set up those ambient lights on the left and right to light the plastic nicely without under/over exposing it and without any glare marks.

You should have mentioned that you owned the table and could provide resources, it would of made the thread more appealing to authors.  If I remember correctly this table has a bunch of ramp decals as well, they can be really tricky to apply to 3D ramps if the resources are bad.

If you aren’t willing to remove plastics from the table then that could make things a lot more difficult……but still do-able.

Here’s an example of a ramp decal photo from randr that is pretty much perfect:

Photo-Jan-28-9-16-42-AM

3dcreation

Drybonz
                    Participant
                      @drybonz

Hey Dark, what’s the best way to go about the playfield scan?

robwaade
                      Participant
                        @robwaade

hey dark i will try to get to it asap thanks for all your detail in explaining it its like the detail you put into your artwork awesome and thanks to drybonz also for helping figure it out just have to figure out playfield :good:

Dark
                          @dark
                          vipMemberContributor

Hey Dark, what’s the best way to go about the playfield scan?

Have a bare, disassembled PF and put it on a massive flatbed scanner.  Sadly those variables don’t usually add up, so more than likely you’d have to scan the PF in sections and stitch it together.

3dcreation

Drybonz
                          Participant
                            @drybonz

Yeah, the guys that do playfield “scans” as they call it, do multiple pics and stitch them together in photoshop… just wondered if there was a preferred technique, in case robwaade wanted to do this.

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

The two playfield scans I’ve done, and yes they were scans not “pics” ;-) , were done with an HP 4760 scanner that is designed to lay on top of whatever you are scanning and do it’s thing. It is see through so you can see the area it will be scanning. The drawback of it is that it only scans a bit larger than letter size so there are many scans that do get stitched together into one really big image file.  To make the stitching as easy as possible for the software (Photoshop and MS ICE both do auto-stitching) to do it’s thing I measured and clamped a board parallel to the edge of the playfield that I used as a straight edge for the scanner to run along, then I believe I did 5 overlapping scans the length of the playfield.  I then moved my guide board over and scanned a column again, and then a 3rd time for a total of 15 scans.  The stitched together image scanning at 300dpi is somewhat huge (Golden Arrow png file is 131MB, bmp scans and initial stitch are a bit larger), but has all the detail you could want :) and is as close to correctly proportioned/sized as you can get without scanning it in as one big piece and I’m not sure that it would be significantly different.

Drybonz
                              Participant
                                @drybonz

I think resource gathering would make a good write-up for the site’s tutorial section.

senseless
                                Participant
                                  @senseless

The SlamT1lt version in Future Pinball has some decent resources imho. Maybe he will give permission to use some of these resources for a vpx version.

I modified this table recently to support DOFLinx:

Phantom Of The Opera ULTIMATE 1.04 (Physics 2.7 DOFLinx)

robwaade
                                  Participant
                                    @robwaade

sounds complex on playfield

robwaade
                                    Participant
                                      @robwaade

slam tilt looks pretty good detail and accurate as far as layout and artwork  go not home to look at playfield  :good:

bord
                                        @bord
                                        MembervipContributorModerator

@robwaade, I’ll happily stitch up the scans for you if you end up doing them.

robwaade
                                        Participant
                                          @robwaade

thanks bord i will try to figure it out its a new thing to learn how to do

BorgDog
                                          Participant
                                            @borgdog
                                            MemberContributorvip

The most time consuming part is actually removing everything from the top of your playfield and putting back on again, big part of why I’ve only done 2 of the 6 (? really ?) machines I own.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?