Pin2DMD or PINDMD3 with CCC (Proc VPX) – how I got it working in PBX

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Phil Docker
    Participant
      @dock

Okay – first of all, I am no programming expert.  This is how I got my Pin2DMD working with the VPX version of Cactus Canyon continued in Pinball X,

I read the instructions on various sites and thought I would share how I did it.

STAGE ONE – Install dmdext.  This is easy to find.  I choose to install it to C:/dmdext/    If you want to use my BAT files then you will have to do the same.

IMG_3276-1

STAGE TWO – Make a new VPX (10.1) exe in your Visual Pinball folder (where all your other EXEs are).  I renamed mine ‘Proc’

IMG_3286-1

STAGE THREE – Make a new folder in your VP Tables folder and install your CC ‘VP’ files.

IMG_3288-1

at this point I take it you know how to edit the ‘script’ in the VPX so it runs PROC….??  This is all documented on the ‘CCC Proc installer’.

STAGE FOUR –  Go to this file in your computer P-ROC/GAMES/CACTUSCANYON/CONFIG
      Find the file ‘user_settings.yml’
      Right click this file and select ‘open in notepad’ and near the bottom you will see this text.  The numbers will not be the same on yours.

IMG_3285-1

STAGE FIVE – have a drink (continued below)…..

Phil Docker
      Participant
        @dock

Okay – the user_settings need to be set as DOT STYLE and ROUND.  The Pixel size to be 4, and the X and Y offset are the dimensions of the display when it is shown on the backglass.  I personally set this to show up in front of the PROC logo on the backglass.

Now I would run VPX and get CCC working with the display where you want it – but remember the X and Y offset for later on.

STEP SIX – download my two BAT files.
        One is called ‘FAKE’ which starts the DMD, and the other is ‘KILLFAKE’ which stops it.
        Unblock these files in windows and put them into c:/dmdext/

IMG_3280

Do not worry about FAKE2 and FAKE3 – I use this same method on PinballFX2…..  But thats for later.

STEP SEVEN: Open the Pinball X settings .exe and get to this page:

‘Other systems’

Select and empty system on the side and call it Proc.  It may not be number one space, it doesnt matter if its 1 or any other number

Fill out settings and files as below.

IMG_3278

Go to the end of the pinball X systems set up and click ‘verify’ and that will check all your program paths.  Your VPX exe and folder paths may be different to mine!

STAGE EIGHT:

Open c:/dmdext and right click on ‘FAKE.bat’
        Select ‘edit’

IMG_3281

Now you will see this:

IMG_3282

Change the two numbers after ‘-p’ to the same numbers as your X and Y offset (same as in your user_settings.yml you noted down earlier

PLEASE NOTE – THIS INFO IS SLIGHTLY INCORRECT IF YOU ARE USING V1.5 OF DMDEXT OR ABOVE.
        Replace in the BAT file    -p   with this    –position
        So add another – and replace the single letter p with the word position.

On my machine the bat file now says this:
        @echo off
        @c:/dmdext/dmdext.exe mirror –source screen –position 2500 855 512 128 –no virtual

Click ‘save’.

STEP NINE – Seriously – have another drink.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Phil Docker
        Participant
          @dock

STEP 10 – Open Pinball X games manager.
          You will find a new pull down system called PROC (or similar).
          Fill in the details of your game and put in a wheel image to start with!
          This is the same as all the other games you have added but this folder will only have one game.

STEP 11 – Save this and launch Pinball X.  Select Cactus Canyon Continued.

Sometimes it takes a few systems to show the display and you should notice on your Pin2DMD this very low res picture if you have you file DMD set where mine is:

IMG_3289

After a few more seconds it should look like this:

IMG_3290

It is slightly behind the other display in time but only slightly – and it is in colour too!  Hard to photograph on my phone.

Anyhow – BAT files are included here too.

As I said – this is how it worked for me – just sharing information.   It is not my own findings – just the way I finally got it working on my cab.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

May make this a sticky!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

I can confirm it works if I had newer firmware I assume on my pin2dmd huh? I’m running very old(free) versions.

for IOS and Android

Arngrim
              Participant
                @arngrim
                DOF MinisterMember

hope it works ok with pindmd2, why do you copy vpx and create a new folder for the table btw? i don’t think that’s required?

Jinxy
                Participant
                  @jinxy

hope it works ok with pindmd2, why do you copy vpx and create a new folder for the table btw? i don’t think that’s required?

PBX needs to recognize it with a separate .xml I believe
                  Just wanted to say a BIG thank you Phil Docker after screwing around for hours your bat file did the trick  :yahoo:

Phil Docker
                  Participant
                    @dock

thanks :) hope it works ok with pindmd2, why do you copy vpx and create a new folder for the table btw? i don’t think that’s required?

You need a seperate VPX list as it runs dmdext.exe    For normal VP games the DMD is taken care of within PinMAME

I also have to set this up in my mates cab – he has a PinDMD3 so I will report back.  If it runs dmdext then it should work.  Just run the program standalone – and make sure you have a picture on your desktop – if it does work you will see a copy of some of your desktop on your DMD.  After you have tried it and it works/doesnt – just use my killfake.bat file.   If it works on PinDMD2/3 then the installation will be as per my directions!

Phil Docker
                    Participant
                      @dock

thanks :) hope it works ok with pindmd2, why do you copy vpx and create a new folder for the table btw? i don’t think that’s required?

PBX needs to recognize it with a separate .xml I believe Just wanted to say a BIG thank you Phil Docker after screwing around for hours your bat file did the trick :yahoo:

No problemo my friend.

I take enough from this community – about time I shared something back!

roar
                      Participant
                        @roar

You need a seperate VPX list as it runs dmdext.exe For normal VP games the DMD is taken care of within PinMAME I also have to set this up in my mates cab – he has a PinDMD3 so I will report back. If it runs dmdext then it should work. Just run the program standalone – and make sure you have a picture on your desktop – if it does work you will see a copy of some of your desktop on your DMD. After you have tried it and it works/doesnt – just use my killfake.bat file. If it works on PinDMD2/3 then the installation will be as per my directions!

This works fine on a pinDMD3. You also don’t need a bat to start this, you can start it with parameters on the launch before options in pinballx.

roar
                        Participant
                          @roar

You don’t actually need a new folder for the table or a second copy of the vpinballx.exe, you just need two copies of the table in your table directory, one for CC and one for CCC. Then edit the script and set the PROC = 0 for the CC version and PROC = 1 for the CCC copy of the game. Obviously you need to have the CCC name vpx table point to the CCC db2s and the CC to the CC :).

As directed above in PinballX Settings you do need to add a new Other System. But it can point to the same .exe and the same table folder as your VPX setup.

Phil Docker
                          Participant
                            @dock

You don’t actually need a new folder for the table or a second copy of the vpinballx.exe, you just need two copies of the table in your table directory, one for CC and one for CCC. Then edit the script and set the PROC = 0 for the CC version and PROC = 1 for the CCC copy of the game. Obviously you need to have the CCC name vpx table point to the CCC db2s and the CC to the CC :). As directed above in PinballX Settings you do need to add a new Other System. But it can point to the same .exe and the same table folder as your VPX setup.

I have edited the script and tried all the settings on other forums – this is the way I got it sorted on my system.  Thats why I decided to document it.  It has maybe cost me a few MB in hard drive space the way I have done it which with a 480gb ssd I do not see that being a problem.

Plus you need to start DMDEXT on the Proc version only – which was not explained on how to do that by anyone else.  Like I said – I am in NO WAY a programmer.

On other forums it goes thru editing this and that to get the DMD working and using all the settings documented I could not get it sorted without the BAT files.  Believe you and I – I tried for HOURS.  Maybe two weeks on and off.

So now – probably three methods are on forums now how to do this – if my listing helps out someone then I am happy.  This method works fine for me so I have no interest in going back and trying to get other methods going as the result will be the same.

Plus I actually WANTED a new directory in case JD and BOP V2 ever come out for PROC on these forums…..

In no way am I trying to get others to do it my way over others, this is just another way.

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Phil I tested your way and works. I appreciate the info and always more then one way to do anything.  :good:

********************************************************
                              for IOS and Android

********************************************************

roar
                              Participant
                                @roar

Glad you got it all sorted… my response to needing the folders and .exe wasn’t a knock on your efforts just a response to the inquiry on whether they were needed… which they aren’t. Your steps are awesomely detailed and I’m sure lots of folks will get a lot of use out of them. Can’t ever have enough guides around to walk us through the maze that is this hobby!

Phil Docker
                                Participant
                                  @dock

Glad you got it all sorted… my response to needing the folders and .exe wasn’t a knock on your efforts just a response to the inquiry on whether they were needed… which they aren’t. Your steps are awesomely detailed and I’m sure lots of folks will get a lot of use out of them. Can’t ever have enough guides around to walk us through the maze that is this hobby!

I did not see it that way – Like I said other methods did not work, so I just got my head together and remember how BAT files helped me out before.

Will be putting the PINBALL X guide up soon!

bent98
                                  Participant
                                    @bent98

When I use mirror command in dmdext it makes my table stutter: anyone else have this issue ?

Phil Docker
                                    Participant
                                      @dock

SORRY – FOR SOME REASON the .bat files are no longer on the original posting so here they are enclosed.  I do apologise.

I have included the complete contents of the DMDEXT folder from my computer, you will need to ‘unblock’ the files if using Win7 or above.

Also in that folder is the Pinball FX2 settings ‘bat’ file I use.

Please note that the numbers will differ greatly in yours as my new backglass screen is 800×480 in resolution.

Attachments:
                                      Phil Docker
                                      Participant
                                        @dock

JUST A QUICK MESSAGE – PLEASE READ THE DIRECTIONS IN THE 2ND POST AS THEY HAVE NOW CHANGED AND DO NOT DIRECTLY COPY THE TEXT FROM MY PHOTOS.

This is due to dmdext changing a couple of commands since v1.5 I think.

Phil

Manples
                                        Participant
                                          @manples

Hi Phil,

Awesome job! Got my CCC working with my pin2DMD and PinballX, thanks! ;-)

Quick question, I have the last DMDext, when I start PinballX and launch CCC for the first time, nothing is displayed on the pin2DMD. I have to exit the table and relaunch it for it to work. It does that every time I startup my cab. First start doesn’t work, 2d one does.

Any idea?

Thanks again!

Phil Docker
                                          Participant
                                            @dock

If you look at the latest version on Github – its v7.2 now – give that one a go.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?