Pinball FX3 focus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Cameron
    Participant
      @cameron

This is probably a minor issue, but I’m not sure how to fix this issue… not sure when it started happening.

If I launch PFX3 using this (curlaunch.bat):

@echo off

rem remove rem to setup your DMDEXT press “open examples for more info”
      cd “C:\VP\VPinMAME”
      start /min “” “dmdext.exe” mirror –source=pinballfx3 -q -d auto –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position=0 0 0 -o PinUP\Aliens

START “” “C:\PinUPSystem\Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe” 5 5 60 “Pinball FX3”

START “” “C:\Steam\steam.exe” -applaunch 442120 -table_Aliens

It does launch successfully, but the focus isn’t on the playfield so no button presses work at all until I click on the playfield with the mouse.. Is there something else I need to add to make that happen?

NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

try increasing to like 10 10 60,  and if that works lowering them towards 5 5 60

Cameron
        Participant
          @cameron

OK will-do! thanks

Cameron
          Participant
            @cameron

OK I tried all sorts of variations from 30 30 60   d0wn to 4 4  60

None of them work. is there a brute force way to do this?

I didn’t have this issue in 1.3.0. Not sure if it is an upgrade thing or something not related??

Cameron
            Participant
              @cameron

OK just had a breakthrough… 2 4 60 seems to have worked at least once…

Maybe my machine was too fast??? IDK??

Cameron
              Participant
                @cameron

OK so that has worked with a lot of testing on FX3. Having the same issue with PFX2… If only there weren’t a few tables that didn’t move over to PFX3! (I actually really like Plants Vs. Zombies

Haven’t figured out the setting that works with FX2.

This bit of PuP seems a bit finicky

NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

dont’ seem to hear issues of fx focusing…

to debug… rem out your dmdext to try and see if its dmdext thats ‘stealing’ the focus.

im guessing your dmdext isn’t setup 100% correctly…are you using hardware or lcd dmd with dmdext?  i don’t think you’re suppose to have –virtual-position=0 0 0 there?…   anyhow.. if it works fine without dmdext running, then at least you know what to ‘focus’ on (hardy har har har :) )

Cameron
                  Participant
                    @cameron

I’m using a pinDMD v3 so yeah it is the hardware… the virtual position didn’t work with the x y z or whatever the default was so I set it to that. Maybe it is DMDEXT…. it has sure caused some other problems. Thanks for helping to focus me in the right direction! hahahahaha

Cameron
                    Participant
                      @cameron

OK did a ton of iterations from the command line to see if I could hone in on things…

DMDEXT definitely doesn’t contribute to this one. I can run it fine. It is def. VPXSTARTER that introduces the issues. On a positive note, If I have the VPXStarter at 1 1 10, it seems to work with FX2 so that is my solution and seems to have worked well inside and outside of PuP. I’ll stick with that, but there is def. some strange interaction between vpxstarter and PFX2 and 3.

I’m glad I am through this hurdle so I can now work on the next thing…. Getting the real DMD to work in PuP System… it seems to kinda work, but not 100%. I’m going to deep dive into that.

GCS2000
                      Participant
                        @gcs2000

Cameron what are your issues with the DMD?

I am running the pinDMD3 as well and couldn’t get mine to display in pup at all (worked fine in all games) but NB got me sorted out.

I followed this guide here to setup real dmds see here:  http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=hardware and once I did this including the pupdmd file he has there bang it started working in PUP.

Still can’t the DMD working right in FX3 using dmdext but I have posted on freezy’s site about my issue there but haven’t heard back yet.

Cameron
                        Participant
                          @cameron

Well the DMD doesn’t always show stuff in PuP right now, sometimes it does show the default Pinup Popper logo and sometimes it just doesn’t. I haven’t converted my animations to the right format yet so I need to work on that one and then play around with it. I’m doing hardware changes at the same time so that complicates things. I have a pile of items to install…. Solenoids, Knocker, Fan, Shaker… Plus need to add more buttons to the cab as well. I have a few other non-virtual pinball projects going as well so I progress forward…. slowly…

There is always some new major issue though… I will say this though. Once the DMD is working, it is totally worth it IMHO. When it plays on VP, it looks soooooo much better than all the LCD-based cabinets that I have seen out there. I was at SFGE this weekend and they had several virtual pinball machines from different vendors and none of them compared to this one I am putting together. in the DMD side of things…

Another thing that I really noticed was the difference in a good quality monitor. Mine is a really great IPS 4K (it is a 32″ which is the correct size for my particular cabinet). The ones there didn’t have the resolution, color and contrast that this one here has. Not even close.

They had licensed Zen Pinball FX machines there that had big touch screen displays. That was cool, but the image quality wasn’t super-great. I think that touchscreen layer affects the contrast a good bit. I also like having the layer of glass on mine as well but if I could increase the size a tiny bit and keep the image quality/contrast of my current monitor and still have a touch screen that might be nice… IDK… OK I’m just rambling on hahahaha

GCS2000
                          Participant
                            @gcs2000

Cameron I agree that the pindmdv3 looks great in FX3 and have no complaints there.  My only issue with it and dmdext is that they don’t play well with the zebs plunger kit which I am using.  There is a com issue between 2 and I have not been able to get a workaround for it.

Essentially dmdext will not work and display on pindmd3 unless I unplug the zebs board run dmdext test let it complete successfully then plug the board back in and start FX3/popper.  Once I do that the dmd shows up on the pindmd3 and looks great and works correctly.  Everything will stay working just fine until I shutdown or reboot at which time I will have to redo the above process.

I was getting help with this on the FB group but am stuck on where to make an entry that someone posted on freezy’s help site so until I can figure out this possible solution I have to do things this way for now which of course sucks and more to the point no one else in the house can do but me meaning no one is playing the vpin.

NailBuster
                              @nailbuster
                              ModeratorMember

to debug….  if you set popper to useDMD=false;

does the dmdext /fx3/zebs all work ok?   you got lots of things going on trying to use that dmd at once that you may need to setup delays and such between.

so first.  i’d disable in popper and see if its good.  and then you can move onto other troubleshooting..

Psmiraglia
                              Participant
                                @psmiraglia

Have you found a good combination of timeout values for FX2 and FX3 ? I have the same focus issues you described…

L0stS0ul
                                Participant
                                  @l0sts0ul

I’m having the same issue. Tried various settings like 10 15 60, 20 20 60, etc but when it comes up it is not focused. I have to use the mouse and click into the playfield to get control. My machine is fast but I have a mechanical hard drive which I think is slowing down table loading. I guess I’ll keep increasing the numbers till something works

EDIT – I figured it out. Sorry to bother. You must make sure that FX3 is set to one of the windowed modes and not fullscreen. I had not seen that anywhere but flipped that setting and all started working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?