Pinball Magic vpx

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    Unclewilly
    Participant
      @unclewilly

Started on this one from scratch build
      doing a raised playfield like monster bash
      also a real life simulated trough
      have a working corcscrew simulation, but i’d like to attempt a true working one. we will see how that goes
      not much done yet, but just wanted people to know i’m working on it again but with vpx now

Attachments:
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Great news! This will be a great vp10 table.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Sliderpoint
        Participant
          @sliderpoint
          MemberContributor

I’ve been trying to get a bit more support for raised playfields in the bug tracker, but no luck yet. The reflections look good but don’t work on the raised wall.

So do what you like (I did on TAF), but people seem to like mirror like reflections on the playfield with excessive bloom on everything.

-Mike

Unclewilly
          Participant
            @unclewilly

Yeah reflections would be nice.
            But i have to be honest, I’d prefer for the table to function and play as close to a real pin as i can get it. I’ll do without reflections for that.

The real working trough is very nice, an an actual subway system will be nice as well rather then using a bunch of timers and virtual troughs.

And honestly, maybe the real pins i owned were a little used, but rarely if ever have i played a real pin and seen these mirror like reflections. The playfield on the ball would be a nice touch but the reflections i can live without.
            And the raised playfield option in the editor doesn’t really work for me. It seems buggy

toxie
            Participant
              @toxie
              VP DEVMember

then you should file a bug if the raised playfield does not work properly.. ;)

and unfortunately we cannot support reflections on arbitrary walls (yet, maybe in 10.X) due to our rendering pipeline and also to save on memory.

Unclewilly
              Participant
                @unclewilly

Its not so much that its buggy..
                But for the purpose I’m trying to do like the working trough you see in the pic. I can’t seem to make it work with the raised playfield

toxie
                Participant
                  @toxie
                  VP DEVMember

so which part/what fails?
                  if the raised playfield is useless in the end, we need some concrete examples where it fails to improve it.

ICPjuggla
                    @icpjuggla
                    MembervipModerator

Can’t wait Scott looks great so far. :-)

About the raised pf I also had to scrap the idea of using it too. I ended up just using a raised wall for one of the tables I’m working on. The raised pf didn’t seem to do or work out the way I thought it would. I don’t want to muck up your wip thread UW about it but like you I had to in a different direction on my build.

toxie
                    Participant
                      @toxie
                      VP DEVMember

but guys, if we should fix that, then we really need some more info than just ‘it didn’t work out’. ;)
                      after all the intention of the raised playfield was exactly that the walls trick should be made obsolete in the end.
                      so please just write something up where you feel that it lacks something/what doesn’t work.

freneticamnesic
                        @freneticamnesic
                        vipModeratorMember

Dropping balls through the playfield does not work – unless we are able to shape kickers with the fall through option. As long as they are circular, they have limited use on a raised playfield.

Punch it!

toxie
                        Participant
                          @toxie
                          VP DEVMember

so basically a custom shape would be all that is missing?

Unclewilly
                          Participant
                            @unclewilly

Sorry i didn’t get back to you earlier.
                            But yes that is the basic thing for me i think. Is having a custom shaped hole.
                            I haven’t played a lot with it. I basically was trying to do the trough on pinball magic and due to how the fall through works just in that one round spot, i couldn’t get the ball to behave correct.
                            I guess maybe I’m just being a little anal with it. This table I’m really taking my time with and I’m trying to make it function exactly as the real table, without any of the tricks. No ball stacks. No destroy and create ball. Just like a reall functioning table.
                            Something I’ve always wanted to do with a table.

Only trick i can see I’ll have to do with this is using an invisible ramp to simulate the magic wand magnet.

Ill play a little more with it later today.

One question, what do i have to do with the material on the playfield to show the holes and show what is underneath. I was trying this yesterday and couldn’t figure it out. I have a playfield image with the holes cut out
                            But i couldn’t get them to show the alpha

Unclewilly
                            Participant
                              @unclewilly

Is a custom shaped kicker even possible.

My other suggestion was going to be.
                              Could you make a surface\wall have a flag like in fp for use as playfield which would cause it to show reflections.
                              If that were possible you could do away with the field height alltogether

toxie
                              Participant
                                @toxie
                                VP DEVMember

The alpha image should basically work. If it doesn’t then it might be a bug (e.g. repro case would be nice for debug).

As for cutting holes: I guess it would not need to be a ‘real’ kicker, but i could also imagine that a wall or light or something could be used for this, just so that we know the area where the hole should be. I’ll figure something out i hope.

As for the reflective wall: As said, unfortunately not. The reflections and the playfield are tightly bond in the code to make it fast and consume very little memory at the same time (and be accurate, too). There might be more in the future (e.g. lots of experiments for us to do), but with 10.0, no.

freneticamnesic
                                  @freneticamnesic
                                  vipModeratorMember

For the playfield holes, make sure the alpha mask for the image in the image manager is set to 1 and it should just work. That’s the default setting though…. I’ve got it set that way on several tables and don’t have any issues personally

Punch it!

Unclewilly
                                  Participant
                                    @unclewilly

Oh i never even looked at that number.
                                    What does that number actually do.
                                    That used to be the bmp aloha color. What does it do now?

But 1 should just make it work.
                                    I’ll look at it again tonight.
                                    If a shapable kicker is possible I’ll have to rebuild this table so maybe ill just build it both ways simultaneously
                                    Until the feature is available

freneticamnesic
                                      @freneticamnesic
                                      vipModeratorMember

Same idea as the bmp transparency… on your .png in photoshop, if you reduce the alpha to 50% and go into VP with the image and set the alpha mask to like 130 (more than 50% of 255), the entire image will be transparent. With it set to 1, only parts of the image that are 100% transparent (in this case, the holes you’ve cut out) will be transparent. If it’s 0 then nothing will be transparent, or if it’s 255 then everything is transparent

Punch it!

toxie
                                      Participant
                                        @toxie
                                        VP DEVMember

Basically its an alpha threshold. If the alpha value of an image/pixel is below this value, then it will be fully transparent/non-existing.

Unclewilly
                                        Participant
                                          @unclewilly

moving along. i’ve gotten slow in my old age

Attachments:
                                          randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Looking good!

********************************************************
                                            Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 146 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?