PinUp B2S Plugin support/tips/tricks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    NailBuster
      @nailbuster
      ModeratorMember

Here’s where I’d like to keep discussion/support about the PinUPB2S plugin.

Remember that PinUp Player has two methods of driving video content during gameplay.

Method 1>  Using Table script that will call directly to the PinUp Display com object.  This involves modifying the tables (with permissions from table authors) and gives you complete control of the PinUp Displays.  This is more advanced and you should be comfortable with table mods/scripts to use this method.  Original Tables should use this method.

Method 2>  Using the B2S Plugin driver for PinUP.  This allows you to use the GUI tool to setup your PinUP Videos.  See the youtube video on a sample of how easy(I think) it is to work with.

Working with B2S Plugin you need to know the limitations when working with ROM tables.  We only get to ‘know’ what is going on with gameplay through Switches, Solenoids, Lights being turned on/off.  We won’t be able to say “hey I want to play this during multiball”….we have ‘hack’ our way into finding out what lights and events get fired during gameplay to make sense of stuffs.

For original tables you can do a lot of things, and its probably best for original tables to just modify in script and not use the B2SPlugin method.

more details to follow….

1 user thanked author for this post.
      HauntFreaks
        @hauntfreaks
        vipContributorMember

First I want to say… bringing this capability to VP is just awesome…. I cant wait to find the time to explore this in depth in the future….

that being said… remember this is just MY opinion…. I would love to see the table/b2s builders keep this tech as close to reality as possible…
        what do I mean?…. just how it sounds… that we look at how “real” machines would handle these awesome new features…. not just plopping videos places that video would never be or could never be…. an easy way to visualize this would be to look at how Jersey Jack is incorporating video BG’s onto his machines… using a marquee/border (I guess that would be the “b2s”) this would frame out a place for the video clips…. and maybe a short looping BG video when the videos clips are not playing….
        what i’m getting at is, less fantasy and more realism…. anyone that knows my work.. I’ve done a bunch of originals, always trying to look at it as it “might” be a real machine….  well maybe the roach was a little far fetched …lol
        this is not to stifle anyone creativity…. because I believe this is for sure an untapped creative outlet… and VERY excited to see where it goes…
        someday I will make my Kiss/Scooby Doo into a VPX…and this would be how I envision the BG being done…

please don’t anyone take this as more than it is, again just my opinion

thank you Dave for developing this plugin/program/feature
        also want to thank Terry for his tireless testing and bringing this to the forefront so we all had a something not to just think about… but to see it work in real time

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

100% on board with you here.

NailBuster
            @nailbuster
            ModeratorMember

IMO…it comes down to personal preference.  To me, some ‘action’ tables would look better with BIG splashy screens  (tron/avatar/batman).  While others I can see a ‘mini-screen’ making more sense on the ‘vibe’ of the table.

That is one of the real advantages with using the PupB2S Plugins…you aren’t working with the table script…just events.  Ideally there may be a few different PuPB2S package ‘styles’ (this doesn’t involve different VPX files).  This gives users a choice of which ‘plug-in’ they want,  and using the GUI tool the user can even ‘tweak’/place things to their tastes without knowing how to modify table script directly.

options are always good….

TerryRed
              @terryred
              MemberContributorModerator

First I want to say… bringing this capability to VP is just awesome…. I cant wait to find the time to explore this in depth in the future…. that being said… remember this is just MY opinion…. I would love to see the table/b2s builders keep this tech as close to reality as possible… what do I mean?…. just how it sounds… that we look at how “real” machines would handle these awesome new features…. not just plopping videos places that video would never be or could never be…. an easy way to visualize this would be to look at how Jersey Jack is incorporating video BG’s onto his machines… using a marquee/border (I guess that would be the “b2s”) this would frame out a place for the video clips…. and maybe a short looping BG video when the videos clips are not playing…. what i’m getting at is, less fantasy and more realism…. anyone that knows my work.. I’ve done a bunch of originals, always trying to look at it as it “might” be a real machine…. well maybe the roach was a little far fetched …lol this is not to stifle anyone creativity…. because I believe this is for sure an untapped creative outlet… and VERY excited to see where it goes… someday I will make my Kiss/Scooby Doo into a VPX…and this would be how I envision the BG being done… please don’t anyone take this as more than it is, again just my opinion thank you Dave for developing this plugin/program/feature also want to thank Terry for his tireless testing and bringing this to the forefront so we all had a something not to just think about… but to see it work in real time

I know what you are saying. I also like how JJP has The Hobbit with it’s different display sections with animations, but also how it goes fullscreen videos for special events. The Marquess could be in the Topper screen. A B2S could be used for simple displays and stills. with PuP screens overtop of that to look like JJP’s Hobbit (but with simple square/rectangle shaped screens). This is exactly what I was picturing when I first played around with PuP. An original table could easily make use of this. I was considering doing something like that with my MOTU mod for FP back when I did it.

Yes…this can also be a fine art. There is a time and place for videos, and you don’t want to simply have endless videos playing non-stop.

HauntFreaks
                @hauntfreaks
                vipContributorMember

IMO…it comes down to personal preference. To me, some ‘action’ tables would look better with BIG splashy screens (tron/avatar/batman). While others I can see a ‘mini-screen’ making more sense on the ‘vibe’ of the table.

That is one of the real advantages with using the PupB2S Plugins…you aren’t working with the table script…just events. Ideally there may be a few different PuPB2S package ‘styles’ (this doesn’t involve different VPX files). This gives users a choice of which ‘plug-in’ they want, and using the GUI tool the user can even ‘tweak’/place things to their tastes without knowing how to modify table script directly.

options are always good….

I agree 100%… as long as it looks like it could be a real machines…. <---IMO below are some examples of what we have as real working machines

TerryRed
                  @terryred

Keep forgetting that those Alien pinball videos are created by SLAMT1LT.

Love JJP’s design and artwork. Their backglasses are so cool.

NailBuster
                    @nailbuster
                    ModeratorMember

see that baseball game playing in the alien photo….  VLC supports internet streaming content urls so we could play MLB live baseball game as well on a wall mounted TV :)

it supports 9-10 PuP Displays….options :)

TerryRed
                      @terryred

When I did MOTU Mastered for FP, I was considering doing something like JJP, with having each of the different mode’s progressions animating in their own sections on the backglass while keeping the center for main animated video events, and defaulting to the original artwork. Never did do the separate sections. I used separate transparent text overlays for the scores, and “Skeletor multi-ball”,etc.. instead of putting them into the video images.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

I would love hooking PuP into PBX instructions so I could play Papa videos from an url.

NailBuster
                          @nailbuster
                          ModeratorMember

does it have to be in PBx?

could we just change the table script a bit so that a key_press on a table will bring up an Instructions Video on the BG?

TerryRed
                            @terryred

does it have to be in PBx? could we just change the table script a bit so that a key_press on a table will bring up an Instructions Video on the BG?

Couldn’t that be done with PuP Script via PuPB2S?

NailBuster
                              @nailbuster
                              ModeratorMember

yes…I was implying that we could do that today.

script or PupB2s….  not the youtube part today.  But if you had an instructions Video file,  you could just play that on any display.  (not PF if exclusive mode)

CarnyPriest
                              Participant
                                @carnypriest

If instruction card PuP becomes a thing, I can create a quicky AutoHotkey batch file to convert swf files to Hi-res video.

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

If instruction card PuP becomes a thing, I can create a quicky AutoHotkey batch file to convert swf files to Hi-res video.

Are those more of a portrait type of video, or would they fit nicely on a 16:9 backglass screen? (I’ve never used them before)

Hey…I could use my own videos for instructions cards!  ;)  (ok, 13+ mins is a bit long for that)

Brings up some interesting ideas though…maybe making instructions cards a standard PuP screen…but also maybe having a “music / jukebox,etc…” standard screen…maybe even YT favorite playlists…..ok i need to settle down.

NailBuster
                                    @nailbuster
                                    ModeratorMember

I’m already thinking about a ‘global high-score’ screen….. but I have to pace myself with ideas :)

But we do have those 2 “Other” screens in the setup.  Maybe use one of those as a ‘Instructions Screen’

But probably easier to ‘re-design’ the instructions to 16:9 and use peoples backglass….

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

Well, the problem with another key would be that I would need to add more buttons to my cab. That is certainly not anything I want.

MisterKai
                                      Participant
                                        @mrkai

In All things…remember: These machines are *somewhat* consist…but not, so IMO, the only thing one can (mostly) be sure of is one 16:9 video area (backglass) although I’ve seen some configs where the screens are stacked on the backless.

I think super short clips or animations are probably the most all-around flexible way to go…but ‘eh’ :)

If anything as far as “standards” go (heh) I’d lean towards the examples shown by haunt freaks bu the question is…why would or *should* anyone be limited to the *constraints* of “real” pinball machines…

:)

Psmiraglia
                                        Participant
                                          @psmiraglia

I hope this is the right place to ask for enhancements for PUP. If all possible, It’d be great if PupB2S stops creating empty video folders for every table played, and also to have an option to turn PupB2S off from within the table script (so we have the option to have pup and non pup tables within PBX without having to create separate systems and “unnaturally” turn B2S off from a launch script.

hth,

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

I hope this is the right place to ask for enhancements for PUP. If all possible, It’d be great if PupB2S stops creating empty video folders for every table played, and also to have an option to turn PupB2S off from within the table script (so we have the option to have pup and non pup tables within PBX without having to create separate systems and “unnaturally” turn B2S off from a launch script. hth,

I know NB is testing ideas for the first…and having the “option” for the other is a good idea.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?