PinUP Popper (FrontEnd WIP)

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    GCS2000
    Participant
      @gcs2000

This sure looks like a good lighter weight alternative to PBX.

Minor questions that I think I already know the answer to but will ask anyway.

Is there anything special needed in order to get this to handle toppers (I really like the idea of a topper and its the next “upgrade” I want to do the cabinet)?

Current pin has an 3.4GHz i7 chip (Sandybridge I think), 16gb of ram and a 6gb GTX1060 with a pinDMD3.  I want to go to a 4k screen any issues hardware wise for pinup?  I have read lots of comments from TerryRed about how PBX stutters for him and I sure don’t want to deal with that.

I am sure I will have more questions but for now great job on the front end.

Slydog43
      Participant
        @slydog43

Nailbuster convinced me to try out a 4k monitor, and boy I wish I did that sooner.  Pinup works fine, pinballx works fine.  Actually I have a new problem with pinup that cuts off my backglass just a bit, but I don’t think its related to a 4K playfield.  I also have a 1060 and it drives my playfield (4k, backglass HD, dmd HD, and topper a ultrawide HD) without issues.  Incredible stuff, thanks to all involved.

I see a link for pinup popper

https://www.amazon.com/Popper-Compact-Mirror-Pocket-Cosmetics/dp/B071ZR5QVM

joker2404
        Participant
          @joker2404

So my dear, I also have a anliegen.pop up popper is now super synonymous with me when it comes to vp
          Goes. But as soon as I want to embed pinball fx2 or 3 he shows me nothing now. At the beginning I came at least into the menu Pinball fx3. But now nothing works. I’m grateful for every tip maybe someone here has the solution for me.

Cameron
          Participant
            @cameron

Yeah 4K is where it is at. I was at the SFGE expo a little over a week ago and I was checking out all of the different pre-built VP cabinets. All of them had 1080p monitors. I talked to one of the vendors and he was telling me there was not really any advantage to 4K with any virtual pinball. I didn’t argue with him, but when I got home and looked at the display in my cabinet, there was a night and day difference! Beyond the resolution, these new 4K monitors also have better color, contrast etc… The only downside so far is the 60hz issue. Mine was still smoother than the 1080p machines there at the show. I think that is probably more due to beefy hardware that I run for the cab i7/GTX1080….. I had PinballX working really well and was pretty happy with it except for 4K performance. PuP looks and performs better in almost every way. It has taken some effort to get up to speed with it and hasn’t been the smoothest thing, but now that things are mostly working, it has been super-great and looks fantastic… I also love the recording capability! I think I have only scratched the surface. I will say that this has been a lot of work hahahaha. I have a giant pile of DOF parts and SSF parts and other crap to install so I have many moons of work to go…..

Joker2404, please give me some more details as to what is happening? I had to tweak PFX2 and PFX3 a lot to work for me.

Gilrock
            Participant
              @gilrock

I’m trying to get this setup following TerryRed’s video.  The problem I’m having is the wheel does not seem to rotate when I change the rotation in the “Game Select” display options.  I have a cabinet running in Portrait and the defaults left my playfield rotated to the right side of my cab.  I changed the playfield rotation to 90 and it’s oriented correctly but Game Select does not seem to rotate the wheel and I couldn’t find any other option that worked.

TerryRed
                @terryred
                MemberContributorModerator

No simple answers…but for Portrait you need to change almost everything in Popper to get it to work.

I don’t run in Portrait so I don’t have a working setup for you to try.

You are MUCH better off running everything in Landscape… Popper, VPX, FX3, FP, etc… all should be running in landscape. You will save yourself a lot of headaches down the road.

Gilrock
                Participant
                  @gilrock

“…change almost everything…”   I have no problem making changes but I believe the rotation option for Game Select is broken.

Using landscape sucks on a real cabinet.  I don’t even have room to stand on the side so the start button is 2 feet to the left when running in that mode.  I got tired of starting up windows in landscape and trying to stand on the side and then switching to standing in the front every time I launch a game that rotates to portrait.  I’ve got everything running fine in PinballX with Portrait so I might be stuck with that.  I think I’d write my own front end before I went back to landscape mode.

Gilrock
                  Participant
                    @gilrock

How does everyone with a cabinet do normal PC work in landscape mode when you need to do your file editing?  Does everyone stand on the side of the machine?  I don’t know how that became the norm.  I ran landscape for 4 years and I recently switched it because I ran into a couple issues when you aren’t starting in portrait mode.  Like when I had dmdext issues with flashing I switched to doing a screen grab and it was grabbing as if I was in landscape even though FX3 was displayed in portrait.  After switching to portrait and playing in portrait dmdext started grabbing the dmd data in the correct orientation.  Also Pinball Arcade was not starting right if you don’t switch to portrait first.  It’s been so comfortable being able to sit in a chair in front of the coin door not sure I can go back.

Gilrock
                    Participant
                      @gilrock

Ok I just noticed Nailbuster replied on VPF and pointed me to a thread that may help on here.  I will go through this tonight and try to get it going.  It just looked awesome in your video TerryRed so I really wanted to give it a go.  And I have to download that CARtoons table after seeing you show it.

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinup-popper-struggling-to-configure/

gtxjoe
                      Participant
                        @gtxjoe

How does everyone with a cabinet do normal PC work in landscape mode when you need to do your file editing? Does everyone stand on the side of the machine? I don’t know how that became the norm. I ran landscape for 4 years and I recently switched it because I ran into a couple issues when you aren’t starting in portrait mode. Like when I had dmdext issues with flashing I switched to doing a screen grab and it was grabbing as if I was in landscape even though FX3 was displayed in portrait. After switching to portrait and playing in portrait dmdext started grabbing the dmd data in the correct orientation. Also Pinball Arcade was not starting right if you don’t switch to portrait first. It’s been so comfortable being able to sit in a chair in front of the coin door not sure I can go back.

I stand or site on the side of my cabinet just like I stand or sit in front of my cabinet. I guess I am ambidextrous

TerryRed
                          @terryred

How does everyone with a cabinet do normal PC work in landscape mode when you need to do your file editing? Does everyone stand on the side of the machine? I don’t know how that became the norm. I ran landscape for 4 years and I recently switched it because I ran into a couple issues when you aren’t starting in portrait mode. Like when I had dmdext issues with flashing I switched to doing a screen grab and it was grabbing as if I was in landscape even though FX3 was displayed in portrait. After switching to portrait and playing in portrait dmdext started grabbing the dmd data in the correct orientation. Also Pinball Arcade was not starting right if you don’t switch to portrait first. It’s been so comfortable being able to sit in a chair in front of the coin door not sure I can go back.

For me if I do have to do anything at the cabinet (VERY rare now with Popper’s excellent network features!), I simply just grab whatever I’m working with and drag its window to the backglass. If you are using 4K…this is also handy since everything needs to be 100 for DPI/ text scaling, and those fonts get really small on a 4K PF.

Ever since I switched to Popper…I literally do everything from another PC. Popper’s Network features make adding new games, pov,directb2s,media, recording new media,pup-packs,etc… so easy now!

I dare say that I would dread needing to edit every VPX table for Portrait.

Yes, TPA does require portrait…but not much of a priority given that you can play everything it has on VPX. You can also switch to portrait when launching your TPA games…and then back if need be.

Gilrock
                          Participant
                            @gilrock

Yes I also try to do a lot of configuring using remote desktop where I can sit down at my dual screen regular setup.  For VPX tables I find I like to adjust the default positions even when I was running landscape.   Adjusting the table position is really only a small part of adding a new table.  Getting all the media assets downloaded and in the right places takes most of the work.  From what you’re saying maybe that will be easier once I get into using Popper.

There was one thought I had while watching the videos.  If its not already a capability it would be nice to be able to go into a lockdown mode whenever I have visitors so that they can’t accidentally alter the Favorites list or anything else that can be changed from the menus.

TerryRed
                              @terryred

Yes I also try to do a lot of configuring using remote desktop where I can sit down at my dual screen regular setup. For VPX tables I find I like to adjust the default positions even when I was running landscape. Adjusting the table position is really only a small part of adding a new table. Getting all the media assets downloaded and in the right places takes most of the work. From what you’re saying maybe that will be easier once I get into using Popper.

There was one thought I had while watching the videos. If its not already a capability it would be nice to be able to go into a lockdown mode whenever I have visitors so that they can’t accidentally alter the Favorites list or anything else that can be changed from the menus.

Adding everything to Popper (and whatever you need for VPX,etc ) can be as simple as drag and drop…and Popper will rename everything to match properly, and place the files where they need to go. The hard part with Popper is the initial setup…simply because there are so many options and capabilities. Once you are setup though..its quite easy to maintain.

I think NB did add a newer option to do some kind of kiddie/visitor lockout…but he would be better to answer that.

Gilrock
                              Participant
                                @gilrock

Yep I made it though your first 2 setup videos till I got to the part where I ran the menu and my portrait mode messed everything up.  Thanks for doing those videos!

hlr53
                                Participant
                                  @hlr53

Yep, I have to watch Terry’s videos first and will love to play around with it.

I am so SICK of PBX bugs I can scream :wacko:   I updated to v3.06 and my table videos won’t play and VPX tables won’t launch. Plus, PINemHi is not showing up in the PluginManager.

Gilrock
                                  Participant
                                    @gilrock

Ok I’m gonna give in and go back to trying landscape mode.  After reading all the instructions to get portrait working I don’t want to be rotating everything I add to the system.  Randr give me the hint I needed about using the backglass.  The key was making it my primary monitor so the taskbar defaults up there.  I’ve been using landscape mode with the taskbar on the playfield monitor and that’s what’s been a pain.  All my launch icons and start menu were down there sideways.  I just tried landscape again and made the backglass primary and now all the desktop shortcuts and taskbar are up there easier to deal with.

By the way Terry in one of the tutorial videos where you said to hit the “Open Script” button where you set the DOF variable that button was not doing anything.  I had to open the script with Notepad++.

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

Ok I’m gonna give in and go back to trying landscape mode. After reading all the instructions to get portrait working I don’t want to be rotating everything I add to the system. Randr give me the hint I needed about using the backglass. The key was making it my primary monitor so the taskbar defaults up there. I’ve been using landscape mode with the taskbar on the playfield monitor and that’s what’s been a pain. All my launch icons and start menu were down there sideways. I just tried landscape again and made the backglass primary and now all the desktop shortcuts and taskbar are up there easier to deal with.

By the way Terry in one of the tutorial videos where you said to hit the “Open Script” button where you set the DOF variable that button was not doing anything. I had to open the script with Notepad++.

Yah, that’s one of those things that I forget needs to be done…but I’ve had it that way from the start long ago.

Don’t forget to update to the latest version:

http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=release_notes

My videos don’t cover even half of the various new features that have been added.

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

I’m still running pbx 2.89 or whatever on my cab and the thing is flawless. Now I do run pinup frontend and love it I wasn’t aware pbx had so many bugs lately! To be honest once you take in the task to switch to nailbusters frontend I don’t think you will ever regret a minute you spend setting the thing up! It really is a game changer in the front end world  :good:

********************************************************
                                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Gilrock
                                        Participant
                                          @gilrock

Ok now that I have it back in landscape mode for the playfield and the backglass set as the primary monitor to put the taskbar and icons up there I cannot get Pinball FX3 to play on the playfield its now on the backglass.  Can someone who runs all these program just tell me what are your monitor numbers, which monitor is primary and all that.

NailBuster
                                            @nailbuster
                                            ModeratorMember

Ok now that I have it back in landscape mode for the playfield and the backglass set as the primary monitor to put the taskbar and icons up there I cannot get Pinball FX3 to play on the playfield its now on the backglass. Can someone who runs all these program just tell me what are your monitor numbers, which monitor is primary and all that.

if you are part of the FB group “visual pinball junkies”… you should read through the FAQ on ‘pinned post’… it is a good starting point in getting everything setup ‘standard’ for everything vpx related.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?