'Poor Man's DOF' – Has evolved to become AWESOME!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

I’ve been working on my ‘Poor Man’s DOF’ (sound driven tactile feedback) for a while now.  It’s continued to evolve as I have experimented with different devices like tactile pucks, exciters and X-Vibes.  So now, with a combination of all those devices in use, I’ve reached a point where I can officially declare it….

“FREAKING AWESOME!!!”

…and to be honest, I would put it up against any true DOF configuration for effect….. so bring it on! lol ;)

You can follow the evolution in this thread at Aussie Arcade and then discuss here if you wish.

Cheers, Rusty.

Ben Logan2
      Participant
        @benlogan2

Love it, Rusty. I ordered my X-vibes about two weeks ago. Still en-route from China. Wish one could buy them more locally! Can’t wait to hook them up.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

I will say the sound feedback is great option but cannot replace a full dof setup. bring it! :) Honestly full dof AND sound feedback would be ultimate setup and many members have that Arngrim i think has it setup that way

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

I will say the sound feedback is great option but cannot replace a full dof setup. bring it! :) Honestly full dof AND sound feedback would be ultimate setup and many members have that Arngrim i think has it setup that way

The challenge is ON!!  I’ll meet you behind the warehouse on the docks at midnight…. bring your Pin man!  B-)

…and bring some coffee and maybe some cake. We could get hungry.

….oh, and don’t forget to dress warm. It’s cold out.  ;)

RustyCardores
              @rustycardores
              MemberModerator

Love it, Rusty. I ordered my X-vibes about two weeks ago. Still en-route from China. Wish one could buy them more locally! Can’t wait to hook them up.

The addition of the lockbar’s central exciter running off the amp’s sub output is what has put it over the top on my system. ;)

But as I have said, experiment with what works on your cab, as even the type of timber used can make a difference.  Some of the bit’s that I have used I was disappointed with on their own… like the 3 inch pucks. On my high density MDF they weren’t as good as what I expected…. but in combination with each device playing it’s own part the results are spectacular.

All up, including 2 pucks ($53), 2 X-Vibes ($40), 1 exciter ($21), 1 amp ($13) and a couple of leads, I’m still under $150 for feedback that replicates from the lowest rolling ball sound to the thumpiest kicker…. so sorry randr, on price/value for money (and the range covered) DOF just can’t compete.  ;) lol

Arngrim
              Participant
                @arngrim
                DOF MinisterMember

hehe, sound feedback can never be as accurate as force feedback where the effects are only placed when it is relevant, and sound feedback is there with music played loud, big difference!

you need to play one cab with full dof to understand, and the top is very good speakers inside the cab (like the bose companion 2 that i have) + full dof :)

RustyCardores
                  @rustycardores
                  MemberModerator

hehe, sound feedback can never be as accurate as force feedback where the effects are only placed when it is relevant, and sound feedback is there with music played loud, big difference! you need to play one cab with full dof to understand, and the top is very good speakers inside the cab (like the bose companion 2 that i have) + full dof :)

No, my sound feedback works independently of the music. I can have the music totally turned off with full feedback active only when audio events occur.  These audio events are inline with the calls to DOF.

Plus, with the turn of a knob, I can take it one level below that and just run the sub kicker and nothing else.  Being that these sub frequencies are extremely low, they can be set to barely audible while still supplying heaps of vibration.  I call this “Stealth DOF”  ;) lol

senseless
                  Participant
                    @senseless

Nice option next to DOF but I think I will spend my money on the last part of my DOF setup… a shaker ;).

Arngrim
                    Participant
                      @arngrim
                      DOF MinisterMember

ah ok you intercept all mech sounds, not a bad idea, vibration can be a good combo with dof and sound feedback, in my case i am pretty satisfied with my setup, i can feel the ball rolling a bit, it needs to be discrete still to be realistic

Sent from tapatalk

CarnyPriest
                      Participant
                        @carnypriest

It does not have to be either/or. Install both!

Arngrim
                        Participant
                          @arngrim
                          DOF MinisterMember

and force feedback that emulate sound is only half of the feedback, other is all the lights, and strobes, beacons, ledstrips, something that noah didn’t understand :)

RustyCardores
                            @rustycardores
                            MemberModerator

It does not have to be either/or. Install both!

Yes if cost and the DIY process is not as issue, then a combination/blend of both would be awesome no doubt.

RustyCardores
                              @rustycardores
                              MemberModerator

and force feedback that emulate sound is only half of the feedback, other is all the lights, and strobes, beacons, ledstrips, something that noah didn’t understand :)

Yeah understood, but some us find the application of light’s and leds rather daunting. Cost can be an issue for some too. My cab is quite active in terms of external lights and lasers, but these too have been achieved in a sound reactive manner.  One day I’ll wrap my head around a DOFled setup… one day ;)

Phil Docker
                              Participant
                                @dock

After messing around with solenoids in my last two builds (that neither worked 100%) I think I will give this method a go.

My DOF always used to mess up maybe once a game causing a major ‘stutter’.  I tried diodes, interface boards, power supply, isolated relays -everything so am really up for this!  Plus its pretty cheap.  Already have a spare chinese amp and the speakers are £12 each in the UK.  Out of interest – how many speakers do you need?

DJRobX
                                  @djrobx
                                  MemberModerator

Sainsmart boards are really cheap.  So if you want a blower motor and beacon lights to go with your acoustic feedback you can do that very inexpensively.    I have two beacons that give me enough “ambient” effect for my taste.   I had put the whole thing together to get the blower motor, and that’s probably my favorite part of the DOF setup.    It’s used to great effect in other games.

I’ll have to look at your thread.  I have a small cab with a pretty powerful sub, which is very effective at making tactile feedback.   If I can link the DOF effects to specific audio files that geared for that purpose I bet it would work very well.

RustyCardores
                                    @rustycardores
                                    MemberModerator

After messing around with solenoids in my last two builds (that neither worked 100%) I think I will give this method a go. My DOF always used to mess up maybe once a game causing a major ‘stutter’. I tried diodes, interface boards, power supply, isolated relays -everything so am really up for this! Plus its pretty cheap. Already have a spare chinese amp and the speakers are £12 each in the UK. Out of interest – how many speakers do you need?

My setup now includes 5 exciter speakers plus 1 sub….

• One under each flipper (Connected to the amp’s regular output)
                                    • One each side of the cab’s back wall (Connected in parallel with the above)
                                    • One in the middle of my timber lockdown (Connected to the amp’s sub output for bass shake only)
                                    • A small computer “active” sub inside & down the back of the cab. (Connected to the same audio out as the amp via a stereo splitter cable)

My amp is only a 2.1 with additional sub output.  Ideally what I would like is an amp that has 4 speaker outputs with a fade control between them, as this would allow me to send a little more towards the back, so that the audio appears to be coming from further up the table.

At present I am using the computer sub to boost the “rear” sound and it works well for adding direction, but for “neatness sake” I would like to be able to run everything off the one amp if I can find an amp to do the job.

My backup plan is to simply get another $13 chinese amp the same as I have. This would give me full control of the rear exciters (and a proper sub speaker) independently of the 3 front exciters.

If I was to this, the total cost (in AUD) would still only be…

* 2 x amps $26
                                    * 5 x exciters $100 (I’m liking the Jaycar ones as per linked thread)
                                    * 1 x 6 inch sub speaker $28

Allow for some cables, a couple of brackets and a bit of timber to mound the back audio sub and I would still get change from $200

Note:  My cab is high density MDF and it’s not the best with transmitting vibes. Hence why I have the bass exciter under my custom timber lockdown.  Those using ply cabs are reporting excellent results without the lockdown exciter, so you may only need 4 of them.  As with all things VP, experiment with what works for your particular application.

RustyCardores
                                      @rustycardores
                                      MemberModerator

Sainsmart boards are really cheap. So if you want a blower motor and beacon lights to go with your acoustic feedback you can do that very inexpensively. I have two beacons that give me enough “ambient” effect for my taste. I had put the whole thing together to get the blower motor, and that’s probably my favorite part of the DOF setup. It’s used to great effect in other games. I’ll have to look at your thread. I have a small cab with a pretty powerful sub, which is very effective at making tactile feedback. If I can link the DOF effects to specific audio files that geared for that purpose I bet it would work very well.

Adding a lightbar behind my playfield will be one of my next projects.  I like the idea of addressable LEDs but OMG it’s a bit daunting :( ….a light bar I think I could manage but. :)

Dragon
                                      Participant
                                        @dragon36

This is a very interesting idea, but I’m concerned about the cheap quality of the x-vibe speakers. Would a pair of exciters and transducers hooked to an amp do the same/better job?

RustyCardores
                                          @rustycardores
                                          MemberModerator

This is a very interesting idea, but I’m concerned about the cheap quality of the x-vibe speakers. Would a pair of exciters and transducers hooked to an amp do the same/better job?

You need to read to the end. PMD was an “evolution” … http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/82642-The-Poor-Man-s-DOF-(Tactile-Feedback)/page16

Dragon
                                          Participant
                                            @dragon36

Just finish reading it. I ordered one xvibe from eBay. I’m jumping in one toe at a time

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?