'Poor Man's DOF' – Has evolved to become AWESOME!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Nemo
    Participant
      @nemo

Have installed it for about a month now, must agree with Rusty, this is just awesome. You can make it sound & feel just as you want it.

I have gone over some 70 vpx tables, adjusted soundlevels in script & altered/replaced sounds from within the soundmanager. Now my main gripe

with DOF is that it ALL sounds the same, you’ve got your solenoids, flipper coils, slingshots for each and every table exactly sounding the same.

With PMD you can have really thick sounding popbumpers for scared stiff and more subtle sounding BBB bumpers, it’s just great, don’t like the

sound of a slingshot ?,  change it !

Yes it’s THAT good  :good:

BTW, bought mine here: http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/loudspeaker-components/loudspeaker-drivers-by-series/exciters.html?p=1

RustyCardores
        @rustycardores
        MemberModerator

More drunken experimentation with PMD….

“PMD LEDs” :)

Today I added two LED arrays behind my playfield. Each is made of 5 rows of 5 LEDs… Green-Red-Green-Red-Green

The red and green are wired independently and will each receive power via their own relay, that is triggered by the PMD amps.  Because the amps volume/bass levels are set different, the lights should fire at slightly different times (and often at the same time).

I’m still waiting for the relay to arrive, this is today’s first test (glass off) where I triggered the lights manually.

The plan is to add a clear perspex back wall, with tint over the LED areas to make them somewhat invisible until lit. Plus the tint will help tone down the brightness a touch (which is needed).

https://vimeo.com/203561979

Sure it’s not going to be as good as traditional DOF LEDs, but hey, it was only 10 bucks and I enjoy the tinkering. ;)

I’ll post another video link when the relay board arrives and it’s running along with the table.

RustyCardores
          @rustycardores
          MemberModerator

PMDLEDs Update:

Time for a PMDLEDs update.

My dual channel relay finally came today, so at last I could wire up the LEDs to my audio.

I’ve done it differently than originally planned and I am using the sub-woofer +ve outputs from the amps to trip the relays. Each amp is running it’s own bass level, and one drives the red and the other the green. This is why they react a little differently at times and make the system look smarter than it really is.

I’ve also set one relay to trip on low power and the other on high. This too makes them react differently. To ensure that I could get the trigger voltage dialled in, I have place a dual channel variable resistor in the trigger lines. I can adjust this and have the LEDs fire at many more sounds, but I specifically wanted them to trigger only on the bigger base sounds.

All in all, for a system that gave me change from $20, I’m pretty happy with the result.

Excuse the video going a bit ordinary in places…. that’s the PMD shaking the shit out of my iPhone. lol

https://vimeo.com/207080629

DJRobX
            @djrobx
            MemberModerator

Cool, but why not hook them up to a $20 Sainsmart USB relay and use DOF? :)

I got four exciters going now (not on discrete channels… yet!). The tactile feel and mech sounds on some of the better orchestrated tables (like the new IJ) are damn close to my real FG machine.

RustyCardores
              @rustycardores
              MemberModerator

Cool, but why not hook them up to a $20 Sainsmart USB relay and use DOF? :) I got four exciters going now (not on discrete channels… yet!). The tactile feel and mech sounds on some of the better orchestrated tables (like the new IJ) are damn close to my real FG machine.

How do you hook audio exciters up to a relay?

RustyCardores
                @rustycardores
                MemberModerator

Beta testing PMD with fully integrated sound positioning and tracking…..  AMAZEBALLS!

Stay tuned :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
                TerryRed
                  @terryred
                  MemberContributorModerator

Are the original audio sounds being used with the transducers, or do you add other sounds (ie lower frequency sound,etc) to coincide with the original tables sounds?

On my racing simpit, I use software that takes telemetry data and translates that to specific tones / frequencies that are better suited for certain “effects” and feedback.

I’ve been following your updates… pretty cool stuff!

RustyCardores
                    @rustycardores
                    MemberModerator

The original sounds are used Terry and they are sent straight to the tactile exciters using VP’s regular (but now enhanced for multi-channel) audio output.  So it’s an easy addition for table authors and users to understand and adjust.

Nothing high tech about PMD and that’s its beauty. ;)

The race sim sounds interesting though.

RustyCardores
                      @rustycardores
                      MemberModerator

Imagine this….

You are playing AFM blindfolded and get Martian Attack and the martians begin to shake. You now hear and feel 4 independent martian shake sounds.  Each of those sounds come from their own unique position on the table. You hit one Martian and he stops his shake, you are still blindfolded, yet you know which one you hit and which 3 are left.

THAT’S how good this is! ;)

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

And it so good that you don’t even have to look at the table … bloody hell – that’s amazing ;)

@nemo
                        quite a lot of alternatives in the link you posted. Which ones did you guys choose and the reason behind it ? How many do you have etc – are you adding more ?

I’m struggling to tweak the nudge sensor to work with and without DOF – wouldn’t adding these just be as bad ?
                        I often play with night-mode on and headset when my wife’ home. Curious on how easy it is to tone these down to acceptable levels and still feel them ?

From the video Russel posted, it seems like there is quite a lot of vibrations ?

As you understand, I’m tempted, especially now with DJRobX’ latest contribution to VP.

Nemo
                        Participant
                          @nemo

I ended up buying these mainly because of the convenient mounting plate and it’s 25 watts spec……

These puppies rock ! And yes i use four of them in a “quadrophonic” setting, it’s just tactile bliss……

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/loudspeaker-components/loudspeaker-drivers-by-series/exciters/dayton-audio-daex58fp-flat-pack-58mm-exciter-25w-8-ohm.html

Rickey
                          Participant
                            @rickh

(Sorry, I edited this message and removed question about quantity)

Nemo,

I am using a similar Dayton product, but using two smaller DAEX25VT mounted on each side close to the flipper buttons.   At the moment I am using these in parallel with my regular speakers, as I thought it would be cool to use the stereo effect of different vibes from different sides of the machine.   I like the feel,  but I think they would be better suited if they tied into my woofer amp.   What kind of amplifier? Do you have it tied into your woofer amp?

Thanks,

Rick

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

I’m currently working in a coffee table build maybe I will add this to it.

********************************************************
                              Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                              for IOS and Android

Rickey
                              Participant
                                @rickh

Randr,

A coffee table build sounds like a great idea.  Will it have a back box?  What is the size of the playfield?

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

No backbox I will be using the new FSS views. The screen will be s 47″ touch panel

for IOS and Android

Rickey
                                  Participant
                                    @rickh

No backbox I will be using the new FSS views. The screen will be s 47″ touch panel

47″ touch screen is huge!  Are you going to use a glass top and tweak the cap touch sensitivity?  I have heard that many VARs have successfully done this for 3/16″ thick glass.  BTW- can you add scoring to FSS view?

Thanks.

Rick

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

FSS Full Single Screen

Thats the fss projects page!

for IOS and Android

Rickey
                                      Participant
                                        @rickh

Wow, that is so cool!  Please post some pics when you are completed.

Rick

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

I will. This coffee table will have a copy of my hyperspin cab too so should be a neat little setup

for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
                                            @rustycardores
                                            MemberModerator

Just a follow up on this thread, as I want to thank DJRobX again for the Surround Sound in VPX 10.4 that is geared so well towards use with PMD.

When I originally said that PMD had “evolved to become awesome”, I had no idea just how much more awesomerer-er it would actually become.

It’s also grown in popularity and has been (and is still being) installed in many more cabs with fantabulous results.  We’ve even started it’s own PMD support group on Facebook, so come and join if you’re interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/PoorMansDOF/

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?