Sea Ray (Bally 1971)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

After I had mostly finished up OXO (Williams 1973) I was looking for another table to make.  I have a link to the artwork of Christian Marche and scanned through it looking for a table that had great art and had not been made in vpx.  I came across the tables Sea Ray and Mariner as good candidates.  They are twin tables with Mariner being the four player version of Sea Ray.  Of the two I liked the artwork of Sea Ray better and contacted HauntFreaks to see if he was interested and he was.

One of the most important and hardest things to get is a good set of plastics and playfield images.  I put out feelers on a forum hoping that someone would have a Sea Ray machine or a set of artwork stored away some where but no luck.  I did find an old VP table from 2002 of Sea Ray and played around with it but the scoring rules did not seem to match what I saw on you tube videos of the real table in action.  There are no rule sets for the table on line and I have no great artwork, I was stuck, strike one…

I did a bit of searching and found that a member on VP had posted that he wanted to fix the rule set of an old vp Mariner but couldn’t figure out how to fix it.  He had a Mariner in his house so he knew the rules so I thought BINGO, I’ll contact him.  Sadly he sold the Mariner years ago, strike two…

I dug some more and found a web site where a professor in Ohio posted about the EM machines that he owns and one of them was Sea Ray.  I contacted him and he still has the machine and was willing to help.  Home Run!

If you look at the playfield you will see two areas of interest, the zig-zag lane in the top left and the series of bubbles in the middle of the table.  Yesterday the professor took the glass off of his machine and cycled through the 10 point hits to get me the “random sequence” of lighting for the “catch a fish” bubbles and the “random bonus” lights in the zig zag lane.  This means that now I can code these sections correctly!

HauntFreaks said that he could make artwork if he had good photos of the playfield and plastics so the professor has shot those with the glass off and the machine turned off but he hasn’t gotten those to me.  Once he does I think that the Sea Ray project can get under way!

I wanted to post this to show you how much leg work may have to take place just to get one of these tables started.  It makes you wonder how many never make it past the “wouldn’t it be cool to make an XYZ table” stage…

5 users thanked author for this post.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

So, how do we thank the professor ?

The Loafer
        Participant
          @theloafer

by rescuing him from that god forsaken island!  Damn, I can’t be the only one with the Gilligan’s Island tune stuck in his head now, right?  LOL

This is incredible insight into what it takes to make a table. It’s not just about the art assets, the tech (emulation for SS), or default templates. Sometimes, there is background effort to even get it off the ground and in a case like this, the “professor” will merit the “hero of the day” award if your efforts lead to fruition.  Thanks for this insight, very appreciated.

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

Oh that explains why the pinball machine was made from bamboo and coconuts!

arconovum
            Participant
              @nicholaschristopher
              MemberContributor

The other thing of interest is the plastic guides under the top plastics to guide the ball, might be one of the first tables to feature that(unverified) rather than metallic rails. I noticed because I had the same thing in my bally SI table.

Scottacus
              Participant
                @scottacus
                MembervipContributor

Great pick up!  I assume those would also be in the zig zag lanes as guides?  Does that mean that those metal pegs are in two pieces , one to lock in the guide and support the upper plastics?

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

They are a split post yes, here is a gottlieb version

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

Great pick up! I assume those would also be in the zig zag lanes as guides? Does that mean that those metal pegs are in two pieces , one to lock in the guide and support the upper plastics?

I have a mesh of those if you need one. Shoot me a pm.

Scottacus
                    Participant
                      @scottacus
                      MembervipContributor

I’m getting a little antsy waiting weeks for photos so I started basic layout tonight with a PDF file from a Sea Ray Manual that was appropriately resized as a playfield image.  This way I can move some of the elements around later but I can start the fun stuff like writing code now.  Patience is a virtue, seldom found in men…

Untitled

Thanks for the primitive metal posts Bord, they work great!

Attachments:
                      Scottacus
                      Participant
                        @scottacus
                        MembervipContributor

Well, the table is pretty much playable at this stage.  None of the colors have been corrected for the various playfield elements but the game plays like it should per the rule set.  I’ve been told that the photos of the playfield and plastics have been shot but they haven’t been sent out yet so we continue to wait for them.  The center post is from Kees Gay 90’s table.

Untitled-1

Attachments:
                        Scottacus
                        Participant
                          @scottacus
                          MembervipContributor

Well, nearly a month has gone by and I finally have some photos in hand from the professor’s table.  I sent them to HauntFreaks and he thinks they will work for him to be able to do the artwork.  Unfortunately Haunt is a very busy fellow and he’s got other active projects that he wants to get done so it will be a little while before this one gets released.

On the plus side I now have a chime unit to test out the chime code :yahoo:

Scottacus
                          Participant
                            @scottacus
                            MembervipContributor

I was able to merge all of the photos that were sent to me into a photoshop image and then I manipulated the daylights out of that image in photoshop to make the photo elements line up with the layout for Sea Ray.

pf
                            I then took that image into Inkscape and hand drew all of the black lines in vector.  This is the resulting black and white play field for Sea Ray.

pf

2 users thanked author for this post.
                            BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

very nice, but I think it would look better in color  :yahoo:

Scottacus
                              Participant
                                @scottacus
                                MembervipContributor

Next up, get out the crayons… :wacko:

bord
                                  @bord
                                  MembervipContributorModerator

Looks great. Keep it up, man.

Scotty VH
                                    @scottt
                                    ModeratorMember

Yes… more pointy people for the cab!  I’d be happy to do some vector work in inkscape if you have some for me.  Perhaps coloring in those black lines?

Scottacus
                                    Participant
                                      @scottacus
                                      MembervipContributor

Thanks guys, the playfield is mostly done now, there is still some tweeking of lines and color layers that needs to be done.

Lots of work left to go but at least the project is moving forward.  Anybody have an idea why the right kicker cup is cutting through the elements that sit proud to it?

rothbauerw
                                        @rothbauerw
                                        ModeratorContributorMembervip

Looking great!  Nice work!

Anybody have an idea why the right kicker cup is cutting through the elements that sit proud to it?

I always though it was a depth bias issue.  I’ve always had trouble solving for it so I usually make the kicker invisible and use a primitive kicker instead.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                        nFozzy
                                        Participant
                                          @nfozzy

Kicker cups are glitchy. The objects in front can’t be static rendered, then you can fix the draw issues with depth bias

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

LOOKING GOOD!

********************************************************
                                            Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?