Sea Ray (Bally 1971)

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

help yourself, all my stuff is free to do with whatever anybody wants to.. except maybe post on that other site :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Scottacus
      Participant
        @scottacus
        MembervipContributor

Using an autoplunger is a very clever solution to the problem of returning the ball from the lane.  Thanks BD for the primitive kicker and hole, they look great and animate well.  The side benefit is that I now have a way of timing the return of the ball from the right bonus lane that can be linked to the number of bonus points paid out.  This means that the time from the payout of the last 1000 bonus points to the kickout of the ball from the lane is the same regardless of how many thousand bonus points are paid out.

Playfield

Attachments:
        Sliderpoint
        Participant
          @sliderpoint
          MemberContributor

Looks like your PF image is still missing all the white GI backing areas and keylines.   But it’s looking good so far!

-Mike

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

Yep, none of the lighting is done except for the indicator lights in the playfield.  Also all of the plastics need to be made along with the apron, the colors of the side walls and shooter lane need to be corrected, shadows added and I need to make primitive holes in the playfield.  A lot needs to be done but I’d say that I’m about 80% finished so it’s coming along pretty well.

BorgDog
            Participant
              @borgdog
              MemberContributorvip

I think slider is talking about all the white areas on the playfield itself that are generally under the plastics, you can see on the image bord put up a page back.  they do a lot for the gi light reflection.

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

Oh, and my sling arm is not quite the right one for that table either looking at that picture.  I don’t have one of that shape, not sure if I’ve noticed one in other tables either, maybe @bord has one?  but it should replace the slingshot sling arm primitives as well, which may need to be scripted differently depending on pivot point etc… hmmm let me know when you find them, my double-up table needs them too  :scratch:

Here is a diagram showing the correct kicker arm

Bally-slingshot-diagram

bord
                  @bord
                  MembervipContributorModerator

Oh, and my sling arm is not quite the right one for that table either looking at that picture. I don’t have one of that shape, not sure if I’ve noticed one in other tables either, maybe @bord has one? but it should replace the slingshot sling arm primitives as well, which may need to be scripted differently depending on pivot point etc… hmmm let me know when you find them, my double-up table needs them too :scratch: Here is a diagram showing the correct kicker arm Bally-slingshot-diagram

I don’t have one but can maybe build one this afternoon.

@Scottacus
                  , I have a redrawn apron/plunger mesh and texture for you if you need one.

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/bally-em-metal-kick-arm/

Let me know if it works out. I can tweak as needed.

Scottacus
                    Participant
                      @scottacus
                      MembervipContributor

Ah, thanks guys I see what Sliderpoint was talking about.  The photos that I was working with for the playfiled have the plastics in place so I couldn’t see the white areas (thanks Bord for the photo) so I assumed they were unpainted.  I’ll add them in i the next go around for the graphics.

Thanks Bord for the kicker arm, I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Scottacus
                      Participant
                        @scottacus
                        MembervipContributor

Thanks Bord for the kicker arm it looks and animates great.  Also thanks for the apron png file, I was able to modify it to work with this table.  Lots of modifications to the the table including adding the white GI backing areas to the playfield (thanks for mentioning that SliderPoint), hole primitives, new correct wall colors, yellow flipper rubbers, changes in depth for roll over buttons, change out of some wire roll overs, fine tuning of the auto plunger kicker and revisions of geometry of some playfield guide walls for better playing experience.

Untitled

Now that I look at the image of the table I see that I’m going to need to move the apron graphics slightly to the left.  More trial and error, it seems that the tweeking seems to have no end…

Attachments:
                        Scottacus
                        Participant
                          @scottacus
                          MembervipContributor

Lots of fixes and improvements today to lighting and playfield inserts as well as adding and replacing a number of primitives.

All of the playfield inserts with lettering were added and the colors of the inserts were fixed to match the table.  I also added some photoshop magic to make the inserts have halos and not look like a flat solid color when not lit.  I replaced the gross red rubber wheel with one from Loserman’s new tables and stole BorgDog’s ball strike plate.  I also spent some time looking through Double Up to see how BorgDog got his shooter lane gate animation to look so nice and smooth so I copied that.  The roll overs buttons were tweaked and the wrong sized rollover wires were replaced.  The apron graphic was reworked to fit my apron profile and primitive holes were added with plywood images for the roll over wires.

I also got some information from Thalamus about using Blender to make a lighting mask for a flasher but I decided to try the native VP lighting since this is an EM machine without fancy spot lights and strobes. I spent a lot of time looking through HauntFreaks lighting on various tables to try to figure out just how he goes about making GI lighting and just what all of the VP10 light settings do.  The first few GI lights were added to the slingshot area and I cheated with some of my lighting masks because the shadows thrown by leaf switches were pretty high contrast and didn’t match what I see in a high quality photo of a Sea Ray with the GI lights.   I think that the white on the playfield and the bottoms of the plastics must act as diffusors and I wonder if that is why when you look at photos of real tables lit, they often don’t have as stark of shadows cast on them as I seem to get with lighting masks in VP?

I also looked into a cool effect that HauntFreaks used on Capersville that I really like to make the GI lights come up to full power in a non-instantaneous manner.  Still very much a Noob at this but the results are pretty good at this time.  Here is an image of the playfield with pretty much all of the new lighting inserts turned on thanks to the ball capture subroutine.

Untitled-1

Also here is an image of the finished B2S backglass with the fixes to the credit reel and toning down of some of the white in the graphic, especially on the StingRay.

Untitled2

2 users thanked author for this post.
                          BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

Looking good Scottacus.  :good:

bords kicker arm is what should be in the slings as well if you weren’t aware, or maybe you just havent’ swapped it in yet

Scottacus
                            Participant
                              @scottacus
                              MembervipContributor

Changed out the sling kicker arms with the ones that Bord made, only BorgDog and I will ever know that they’re there.  It took a little while to figure out that the stock arms move with a transZ motion but because the new arms need to be spun 180 degrees in the Z axis on my machine the new arms need to be TransY’ed instead or they shrink into the playfield rather than glide on top.

Five new plastics were drawn and placed on the field using HauntFreaks technique of placing the image on a thin “plastic with image” wall and then putting an acrylic cover over it so that there is a nice clear plastic depth to the plastic.  Doing five of these reminded me of what a PIA this all is since you have to go back and forth between VP and Inkscape to make sure that the outline of the plastic is in the exact correct place and not too far left, right, hig,h low, too wide, not tall enough…  This always gives me an appreciation for how much work goes into making the artwork for these and how easy HauntFreaks makes it look even though it isn’t easy at all.

Bord offered to make a lighting mask in Blender to compare with the native lighting in VP, I think I’ll take him up on this although I’d like to try on my own first.  I’ve made it most of the way through the tutorial and Thalamus sent me some pointers on the steps that I’m stuck on.  At any rate here’s the table after the first five plastics (only four more to go, also no lighting under any plastics other than the slings).  BTW I love the expressions on the fish in the artwork on the table and BG.

Untitled-2

Attachments:
                              randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

How can i ever release another table with quality builds like this. Really looks great

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Scottacus
                                Participant
                                  @scottacus
                                  MembervipContributor

I was working out yesterday and was wondering if there was a way to output the table in a non perspective way to make placing the plastics easier.  I fired up VP and found that you can export a blue print.  It was one of those “man am I stupid” moments when I realized that I could get the plastics correctly sized, shapes and placed all off of this blue print output.  :wacko:

Needless to say the last four plastics went a heck of a lot better than the first five so now all of the plastics are made with overlays and screws and are in place.

Untitled-3

Bord and Thalamus have been helping me get started in Blender for making a lighting mask for the playfield.  I’m going to try to learn how this program works, at least to the point where I can make playfield masks and not to the point of making 3d rendered toys.  We’ll see how this goes…

Attachments:
                                  2 users thanked author for this post.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?