Selling VPX tables

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    ninuzzu
    Participant
      @ninuzzu
      vipMember

Shocker, now everyone knows how the movie industry feels (game, music, art, book publishing or any industry where your works can be sent or made digital) and so on. But I do agree with all of you that it totally sucks, because I appreciate all of the hard work and I also look forward to when a table will be completed. HF, you had to see that one coming. You’re like the two guys that started Facebook (hey, look at my stuff), then someone else steals another great idea. Just a shame that being nice or helpful in this world doesn’t get you very far. With 99.9% of the world, it’s all about the money. People always get mad at me for what I say (could really care less). My point is that even with it being FREE or making money, people still might not be so happy. Example, all of the builders made the Metallica Premium Monsters table (it’s a hobby or whatever) and you give the product away for free, great (because I couldn’t play it on my PC otherwise, so thank you). But even for free, I bet if you wrote Stern and said to them, hey look what I made with your property and I give it to everyone in the world for free. Stern most likely wouldn’t be as ecstatic as you. Then for someone to turn around and sell the copyrighted property as the person above on Ebay, is just unreal. I’m glad that Stern and others let these sites exist, maybe they have better things to do besides worrying about all of us.

I agree with you, but there are two differences: the sites/authors that host this stuff , they do it for free;  so even if we are using some copywrited material, we are not doing nothing illegal because we are not making profit from licensed material or ideas.

Second one: we are not making real tables to compete with Stern or any other pinball manufacturer, it’s only digital pinball, it can’t even compare to real tables.

Well at least that’s my point; there is now The Stern Pinball Arcade that sells tables for Stern, but they sucks :D

I downloaded TPA some time ago and tried some tables , the free ones; I uninstalled it after 2 days. There’s no passion in those software/tables, it’s only money.

Can you imagine one of the great talented authors working at Farsight? Tables will be waaaay better.

I’m italian and I have an italian ebay account, what I have to do?

I mean to report this shit.

freneticamnesic
        @freneticamnesic
        vipModeratorMember

http://pages.ebay.it/help/buy/report-trading.html

I think it’s somewhere in here

Punch it!

freneticamnesic
          @freneticamnesic
          vipModeratorMember

Punch it!

ozg
          Participant
            @netweight

I agree with you, but there are two differences: the sites/authors that host this stuff , they do it for free; so even if we are using some copywrited material, we are not doing nothing illegal because we are not making profit from licensed material or ideas. Second one: we are not making real tables to compete with Stern or any other pinball manufacturer, it’s only digital pinball, it can’t even compare to real tables. Well at least that’s my point; there is now The Stern Pinball Arcade that sells tables for Stern, but they sucks :D I downloaded TPA some time ago and tried some tables , the free ones; I uninstalled it after 2 days. There’s no passion in those software/tables, it’s only money. Can you imagine one of the great talented authors working at Farsight? Tables will be waaaay better. I’m italian and I have an italian ebay account, what I have to do? I mean to report this shit.

This: https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

^^^Whoops, you need the Italian version for the same link that I posted above. ^^^

I’m not here to argue with you ninuzzu (BTW, thanks for AC/DC LE and Twilight Zone) but you can’t use Sterns property legally (unless they agree and you pay Stern), period. Though as I said before, I sure do like having Metallica Premium Monsters on my PC. So I’m as guilty as the rest.

ninuzzu
            Participant
              @ninuzzu
              vipMember

Ok I reported it. I think you can report it too.

freneticamnesic
                @freneticamnesic
                vipModeratorMember

We’re not doing anything illegal by recreating these tables. We’re not taking, selling, claiming ownership of, or otherwise adversely impacting the sales of any Pinball machines Stern has ever done or will ever do. Profiting from this, like selling tables or machines loaded with tables is illegal and one day will get some one or several some ones in deep trouble. We do this with respect. If you believe we’re doing something illegal you’re misguided and probably should do some research.

Punch it!

STAT
                Participant
                  @stefanaustria
                  MemberContributor

Strange, i have seen at willhaben.at a Guy, selling a Cab (of course, “more“ avaiable), with about 200 Tables, i wonder: with my Cherry Bell, whatever my Table is bad, but remember there was also “Alle Neune“ … and all the great Tables from the nice Authors here.

I asked the Guy something, later i asked for my Tables, and “what do YOU want to pay for that“, then no more answers …

Whereever i find a Seller, i want and i will attack them … i think, its time now, to start this “War“

Edit: again …

ozg
                  Participant
                    @netweight

We’re not doing anything illegal by recreating these tables. We’re not taking, selling, claiming ownership of, or otherwise adversely impacting the sales of any Pinball machines Stern has ever done or will ever do. Profiting from this, like selling tables or machines loaded with tables is illegal and one day will get some one or several some ones in deep trouble. We do this with respect. If you believe we’re doing something illegal you’re misguided and probably should do some research.

Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works.

Plus, using the ROM/game code (without owning the machine). Making money on the works sends it to a whole new level.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/what-are-derivative-works-under-copyright-law

Who Can Produce Derivative Works?

Only copyright owners have the exclusive right to produce derivative works based on their original, copyrighted works. Copyright on original works of authorship is automatic, and registration—while it does carry significant benefits, like the right to sue for infringement—is not required for a work to be protected; protection attaches immediately when the work is completed. However, a copyright owner can grant permission to someone else to make a derivative work based on his or her original—if permission is granted (in the form of a license or assignment), then creation of the derivative work is not infringement. But if the original isn’t yours and you don’t get permission to use the original from its creator, then you’re infringing that author’s copyright.

StevOz
                    Participant
                      @stevoz

You are only allowed to sell them one at a time on special self destructing encrypted USB media…

CarnyPriest
                      Participant
                        @carnypriest

Yes, at least we are thieves with honor …and respect!  B-)

vogliadicane
                        Participant
                          @vogliadicane

@ozg I’d say your statemnets are completely right from a strictly legal point of view. But in practice, there is something like “fan art”. I’m not a legal professional, but I’d say, this is what is tolerated by copyright holders as long as there is no commercial intention… and so definitely ok! And I’d say what happens in the VP scene is definitely “fan art” so no problem at all as long as copyright holders don’t mind; and they don’t.

What this guy does is not only unfair, weak and wimpy, it is also illegal, but only as soon as the real copyright holders intervene… against HIM not the fan art authors.

I think…

Edit: so I think the most effective srtategy to stop him would be to inform the real copyright holders to intervene. But that would cause big things happen and so: not so good… just my two cents

Edit2: just wanted to report this to ebay (the link right bottom) and explain the situation and why they shouldn’t tolerate this. But can anybody help me how to translate the site to italian to english or german please?

HauntFreaks
                            @hauntfreaks
                            vipContributorMember

if I paint a picture of the mona lisa and post it on etsy as a painting I painted of the painting the mona lisa thats more than legal….

now if someone stole that painting I painted of the painting of the mona lisa and put it on ebay to make a profit…. that poor ethics and theft

its talentless fucks doing what they do best… profiting off others work, work that is clearly known to never be sold….

as for roms.. “most” roms are old out of date, and from defunct companies… these roms have been paid for 1000 times over… if there was any truth to these roms being used illegally, then every time a real pin is sold, the company that made the rom should get a royalty… and we all know that aint happenin’

freneticamnesic
                              @freneticamnesic
                              vipModeratorMember

Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works. Plus, using the ROM/game code (without owning the machine). Making money on the works sends it to a whole new level. https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/what-are-derivative-works-under-copyright-law Who Can Produce Derivative Works? Only copyright owners have the exclusive right to produce derivative works based on their original, copyrighted works. Copyright on original works of authorship is automatic, and registration—while it does carry significant benefits, like the right to sue for infringement—is not required for a work to be protected; protection attaches immediately when the work is completed. However, a copyright owner can grant permission to someone else to make a derivative work based on his or her original—if permission is granted (in the form of a license or assignment), then creation of the derivative work is not infringement. But if the original isn’t yours and you don’t get permission to use the original from its creator, then you’re infringing that author’s copyright.

Be careful – if you choose to interpret the law like that, you’re openly admitting to stealing copyrighted works  :wacko:

Punch it!

CarnyPriest
                              Participant
                                @carnypriest

I’ve notified Tom as packages the seller is offering appear to include PinballX.

HauntFreaks
                                  @hauntfreaks
                                  vipContributorMember

that’s like informing the fox that he’s in the henhouse…

ozg
                                  Participant
                                    @netweight

Well, it looks like Ebay pulled the rest of his ads for all those VPX tables. They may have made him give refunds, not sure though. Looks like they might have banned his account, I can’t get to the page.

Tom Tower
                                    Spectator
                                      @tomtower
                                      vip

User banned

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus
                                        ContributorMemberModerator

What a total ass

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=26497&p=345569

ozg
                                        Participant
                                          @netweight

Seriously, he was the one selling the tables on Ebay? How did you find that out, was he bragging about it or something?

Off the subject, I see that there is a new SAM beta build out, r4284.

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus
                                            ContributorMemberModerator

Translate the monsterbash page Tom wrote about banned Italian user Sephir. Looking at the dates when registered, I’m quite sure we’re talking about one and the same.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 95 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?