Some beginner DOF questions

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Gunner
    Participant
      @knievel

Thinking about finally adding some of this to my cabinet. I get migraines so the flashing lights never appealed to me but I’m thinking the solenoid feedback would add to the experience.

I’ve read a bunch this am and I think what I need is 8 solenoids and something to activate/power them? The option I’m currently considering is the sainsmart 8-channel relay module and a 12v power supply or ATX power supply. And I think the Ford starter solenoids I’ve seen mentioned in a few threads. Looks to be the ones that Zeb includes with his kits?

The other option as I see it would be a PacLed64 paired with Zeb’s PacLed64 Breakout Board. I’m not sure how this differs but I’m guessing it adds a lot more output for things I currently don’t want – lights/toys etc?

My other question is are all the VPX tables programmed to run this DOF stuff already or is that something I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Not all vpx tables have DOF. But, those that don’t – often gets updated to support it. Just have a look at a typical JP release of bunch of Taito’ he has made. He releases. Then he does a fix or two to the table and then the Dutchman Belgian Arngrim comes along and asks if he could add some code :) There are a lot of tables from VP9 that already had DOf and the authors makes sure that these still support DOF as VPX. But, still – there might be a update or two. It’s VP, constantly improving – sometime it is DOf, sometime it is gameplay and sometime graphics improvements.

VP itself is constantly getting improvements. Some tables gets left behind. But, if you want to – you can improved them yourself with the new stuff. Or, hope that the authors do it for you. It is for me – kind of a never ending project that I love to play with.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Gunner
        Participant
          @knievel

Ok thanks that’s good to know.

Slydog43
          Participant
            @slydog43

nice explaination

Jesperpark
            Participant
              @jesperpark

Arngrim has said 10 solenoids is the optimum setup, however you can use a 8 solenoid/contactor setup as well

I can speak to the Zeb’s stuff, which i bought as I wanted something easy and straight forward.  Also I really like his plunger so figured why not.  It was fairly straight forward to install and after a few mistakes on my part, has been working good for the last 3 years.

I like the solenoids over contactors as they have a faster response time, especially when it comes to flippers.  I was finding a second fast flip would be missed by a contactor, where the solenoids will pick up both.  The down side is you will get a clunk from the solenoid on the flip up and flip down, but I learned to ignore that quite quickly.

As for the boards and which to buy or is best, I am not the best to ask.  But you are correct in saying Zebs stuff allows you to expand to all the bells and whistles.  Which is fine in the beginning, but personally I am removing them more and more as well.

There are a few write ups around on the setups and different boards, power supplies etc. I think GTXJoe did one on vpforums but I can’t find it right now

Gunner
              Participant
                @knievel

Thanks I ordered the 8-channel sainsmart module off Amazon and I’m going to try powering everything with an ATX power supply. I have so many laying around.

Just need the solenoids now. I’m thinking of heading over to Parts Source and seeing if they have those Ford starter ones in stock.

Did you use those or something different?

Jesperpark
                Participant
                  @jesperpark

I ordered mine from rockauto.com, can’t remember the model but they were maybe 4.00 each??  Way cheaper than local

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Gunner
                  Participant
                    @knievel

Thanks I’ll check that out. Never heard of them before.

Gunner
                    Participant
                      @knievel

Not so easy searching for something there but I came up with these for $12.84 each. They look what people have been using?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1005854&jsn=436

Zeb
                      Participant
                        @zebulon

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4587918&jsn=548

I know so little about everything that I could tell you all there is to know about nothing

2 users thanked author for this post.
                        Gunner
                        Participant
                          @knievel

Perfect, thanks Zeb!

Gunner
                          Participant
                            @knievel

Finally installed DOF and did a little testing, WOW now this is a whole other level of cool :)

Now I’m thinking of doing 2 old-school beacons (red and blue) up top and a fan in the center.

Did a quick search and seems people are using the attwood marine blowers. Not crazy about the look though and they seem a little too powerful.

Wondering, has anyone found a decent 12v or 120v fan that is quick to get up to speed like those blowers?

I’m seeing lots on Amazon like this one but I don’t know if it would be any good..

Amazon Fan

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

A fan is what real pins used so look for one like twister had or whirlwind. Basic motor with blades on it. I used a blower only because I wanted mine stealth but many people put actual whirlwind fan on there cabs and works fine too

********************************************************
                              Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                              for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Gunner
                              Participant
                                @knievel

Thanks think I’ll try that one I linked to and see how it goes.

I’m guessing I can increase the fan spin time in DOF if it’s not spinning up quick enough to get a blast of air.

Can anyone remind me where the diode goes on these starter solenoids? It’s the type in the picture a few posts up…

Gunner
                                Participant
                                  @knievel

Can anyone confirm this is the proper diode connection for these starter solenoids. I don’t want to damage anything.

Across the positive connection and the chassis, with the stripe facing towards the pos side..

Solenoid2

Jesperpark
                                  Participant
                                    @jesperpark

The diode is correct.  Positive side (small terminal) to the negative side (Chassis)

But that is all I have for wiring as well.  I run a zebs boards and it’s negative to the zeb board output and the positive from your power source goes to the small screw terminal.  I don’t have everything else you show, but maybe because you are using different board??

If you accidently reverse the diode you will know right away, it goes boom and it smells!!!

Gunner
                                    Participant
                                      @knievel

Thanks I decided to just go ahead and try it and everything seems ok.

I bought a couple of the Sainsmart USB boards and that’s what I’m testing with.

I tried running the flashers from them last night and it seemed to work well, and I think the clicking of the relays adds to the realism. From what I recall I would be missing out on something though, running them on relays. Color mixing?

spookyMoulder
                                      Participant
                                        @spookymoulder

lol so that’s DOF, every time i saw that in the script made me think of this…

Attachments:
                                      Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?