Some new Tables on Rogue Pinball

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    STAT
    Participant
      @stefanaustria
      MemberContributor

Cross Country is very nice, i optimized the B2S … Download at RP Page

Slydog43
      Participant
        @slydog43

As I’m reading through this thread I thought to myself, I have plenty of computers and would be willing to send cards/memory/mobo/etc to someone that actually builds tables no problem.  I helped out xenonph a while back and look how much he has contributed.  Worked out very well for everyone.  Then I see xenonph reply and it just made me feel good.  (great guy by the way).   If a computer is all that is needed to make tables for VPX instead of VP9, I can make it happen.  Is it itchigo or pbecker that needs stuff?  anyone friends with either guy?

-Slydog43

2 users thanked author for this post.
        BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

I think pbecker, Phil, does the tables desktop format then itchigo makes the b2s and full screen version.

Rajo Joey
          Participant
            @joey2001

Cross Country is very nice, i optimized the B2S … Download at RP Page

Is it right, that it is only a PNG-file? :scratch:

STAT
            Participant
              @stefanaustria
              MemberContributor

Hell, yes thanks … now .directb2s uploaded !

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

I don’t know … am I the only one that is kind of frustrated seeing older EMs still being made on VP9 ? I don’t understand the reason behind it at all. Its easier to do in VPX, it will play better what ever you throw at it. But still ???

The Loafer
                Participant
                  @theloafer

It may be easier but not everyone has a PC good enough for VPX?  Anyway, it is what it is, still better than nothing but sure hope he upgrades to VPX someday, miss the easy day/night settings and flipper physics for sure.

STAT
                  Participant
                    @stefanaustria
                    MemberContributor
                    • deleted: sorry, wrong Information
                    Dark
                      @dark
                      vipMemberContributor

I think a big reason for people still making VP9 tables is they are just comfortable in what they know, in order to start doing tables in VPX they need to go back and re-learn some basics.  Also yes, obviously people will be deterred from making tables on vpx if they can’t play them without lag either, but your hardware needs to be pretty outdated for that to be the case I would think.

3dcreation

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Dark.

xenonph
                        Participant
                          @xenonph
                          MemberContributor

My windows Vista 64 bit was unable to even have VPX table load, I never had lag because they never loaded in first place.

This Vista 64 bit was bought when Vista first came out. Not sure the exact year but think it was 2007.

That makes it only 10 years old. Some of us can only afford to buy 1 computer per 10 years.

It has..

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.70GHz

5 GB RAM

And a built in graphics card that I cant recall. (Was great back then!!)

It was not until a great friend of mine Steve”Slydog43″ sent me a GTX 660 graphics card, that I was finally able to load VPX table, and play them and ultimately be able to work on them!!

I don’t think it’s the computer that prevents some from not being able to work on VPX tables.

Its the graphics card.

You basically need a gaming graphics card. Anything less than a gaming graphics card and VPX will not function correctly.

I also agree with Dark partially.

When I was working on all those VP9 tables, Sliderpoint made me a VPX version of NFL for me to make all the team mods in VPX.

(Huge thanks again my friend!!)

Well my computer was not capable of working on VPX tables. So it sat in limbo for a long time.

Then I got that graphics card, and everything changed!! But I was hesitant to start working on the VPX tables as I was just getting the hang of working on VP9 tables. I also like to stay in my comfort zone. I can accomplish alot when I know what I am doing. This is the part that I agree with Dark on.

I am not sure how long I was able to play VPX tables, before I decided to work on one, but I know I was afraid as I knew nothing about VPX.

I think I made first VPX mod 2 days later.

So if the other table authors are like me, you are addicted to this stuff and want to work on these tables any chance you get. I believe if they were able to work on VPX tables,(I mean have the capabilty to run the tables on computer.), they would work on VPX tables.

So I believe it is lack of gaming graphics card.

There may be a few VP9 authors that are able to run VPX tables, but have chosen not to work on them. But I doubt it. If they could run VPX, they would build tables with VPX.

As I understand it, VPX was actually made to make it easier for table authors to work with, and build tables with.

It’s an addiction and they wouldn’t be able to stop themselves from working on VPX tables.

Just my opinion.

Carry on.

HauntFreaks
                            @hauntfreaks
                            vipContributorMember

why is he still making them? because he wants to he also makes the older tables that know one else does because he wants to the history of pinball is being left behind but not by itchigo so carry on itchigo your tables are appreciated :good:

I’ve been friends with itchy many for years… and he knows how to build in VPX but doesn’t… that’s the issue….

Itchigo
                            Participant
                              @itchigo

Hi everyone! I happened upon this thread as I was searching for something on my phone, and saw this. I figured I’d clear a few things up. I have never built in vp10, I only have a couple vp10 tables, and that was only to look at them, they are not even in my xml’s. Since Christmas I got a newer video card that would probably run vp10 (1050ti), but my PC is still an I-5 2400k, overclocked, that I built in 2011. I could probably run it now, but I have (probably) the biggest working 2 screen collection at 826 2 screen tables, with like 2 duplicates. Eventually, I may swap out some vp9’s for vpx’s, but that’s down the road.

About the EM’s: Phil (PBecker1946) makes them, and gives me a backglass. I make the backglass work, and rotate the table. Phil and I have been working together for a few years. Phil is not impressed with vpx, he thinks it looks “too fake or too perfect”. He like’s photoreal, and wants it to look like you’re really there, not like a “video game”. His words. Phil buys schematics just to do these tables. As a former NASA engineer, I don’t need to tell you how exacting he is. I mean his team built 4 of the Viking landers…

Since I have an upgraded video card, I can probably run vpx now, but I’m in no hurry. I haven’t had time to do anything. The truth is I have 826 working tables right now, why do I need to scrap everything because “something new” is out? It may be better, it may be a lot better. But I’m happy to have these AT ALL. I don’t need to turn my nose up and say “is it vpx”? “No”? “Pass”. Seeing that mentality at vpf makes me angry. How jaded have they became?? One guy at vpf called vp9 “an abomination”. What an idiot! You never even built a table and say something like that? If I wasn’t banned there I’d have responded. Again, I’m happy to have these at all, I’m not going to turn them down because they aren’t the latest and greatest. I’m AMAZED how many people were so eager to dump vp9 because vpx came out- even when they knew nothing about vpx. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not one to follow trends, or have the latest and greatest. Out of my 4 vehicles, only 1 was made this century. I still have a rotary phone on my desk, and my cab’s tv was the first flatscreen I ever bought.

Commercial vp tables are NOT evil. Using someone else’s work IS. But the reality is,  it was put up on the internet for free download. If you don’t want it distributed, don’t upload it. Once it’s out (uploaded), it’s public. I’ve authored 15 tables or so. I’m sure some of mine have been included on cabs (BOTH Brad’s and Paul’s). I guess if they were making a killing on my work that would be one thing, but neither is. How many multi thousand dollar toys (cabs) do you think people actually buy? Most people build their own. It’s not like they’re putting one in every household. I’ve been paid to make 3 commercial vp tables, but for different companies. I made about 2/3rds of a week’s check for more than 40 hours of work. NO ONE is getting rich doing this. The tables I made were 100% my own work.

Anyway I wanted to speak my mind a bit. I’ll leave you with a picture of Phil and myself. I’m on the left. This was in 2015, after his surgery. He had ankle replacement after a motorcycle accident in the 70’s. Also, here’s a picture (taken from a 35mm slide) of one of the Vikings being built. An interesting factoid is the original “Face on Mars” picture was taken by Phil’s crew. I have a copy of it, and it’s very low res.

Be a Rogue! http://roguepinball.com/ Full Screen DirectB2s Tables no one else has!

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

Itchy I would never abandon vp9 on my cab that’s for sure! But I do also have vpx running in same front end so it’s like the best of both worlds. No reason not to have both vpx and vp9 installed and running seamlessly together :)

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Drybonz
                                Participant
                                  @drybonz

To call VP9 an abomination is just silly since it was the building block for VPX… that just doesn’t make sense.  However, VPX does offer way more flexibility to build better tables.  VPX has made VP9 obsolete, except for the cases where the table still only exists for VP9… but there certainly isn’t anything wrong with a good VP9 table if it’s the only option.     :good:

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

Hi Itchy. I don’t think I ever said that VP9 is an abomination. But, I must admit that I don’t enjoy playing VP9 tables any more. I started playing VP around 2009. Then had a break and started planning to build my cab once I tried VPX and Groni’ Attach from Mars a couple of years back.

I find it kind of sad when tables are made on VP9 in 2018. The reasoning behind it is that the author are spending a lot more time than needed and the final product isn’t going to look or play anywhere near as good as it potentially could.

I don’t need to remind you of the history of VP, you know it better than me. But, someone needs to explain to me why tables aren’t made as PM5 instead of VP9 ? It doesn’t require better hardware, but, the physics are to me at least, much better. It can’t be anything else than stubbornness, or lack of knowledge – can it ?

Is it because values from objects needs to change and templates are used a lot ?

The Loafer
                                    Participant
                                      @theloafer

If people want to make a vp9 table, that’s up to them.  I do think perhaps your friend is misinformed a bit.  There is nothing in vpx that prevents a person from making a vpx table look like a vp9 table so What your friend probably has objection with Itchy is the artists preference on lighting, which is a personal thing.  The art assets can be the same after all

For many of us it’s never been about the look of vp9 tables but plainly the physics.  Some vp9 tables had really good physics (BMPR) but the positive comparison really reflects a short list of tables.

As it is if someone believes vp9 physics are good enough for them and they contribute by making vp9 tables then I certainly still appreciate it, so thanks for all the contributions you and your friend give us Itchy

Micronaut
                                      Participant
                                        @micronaut

VPX is better than VP, but if there are classic tables of the  50 s  and 60s  that are VP9, ​​it is better than if they were vp8 …

I am satisfied with what there is.
                                        I take this opportunity to thank Itchigo and pbecker1946 for their great work of offering us a magnificent and numerous selection of old electromechanical glories,
                                        it is wonderful to be able to have fun with a PC when you can play and immortalize those old tables.  :good:

STAT
                                        Participant
                                          @stefanaustria
                                          MemberContributor

NEW:

+Big Valley
                                          +Rocket

Both with nice new Backglass, and Overall better Images on PF, thanks Itchi :good:

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Drybonz
                                          Participant
                                            @drybonz

Rocket is a good one.  Would be a nice candidate for VPX conversion.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?