some words on baked in playfield shadows

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    vogliadicane
    Participant
      @vogliadicane

When I made Fathom vintage I had exactly the same thoughts as Haunt lately had. If I put the playfield shadows in the playfield image, it is forever and ever with shadows and maybe not usable for future authors. And given, that stitching together all those bad perspective, details images to a nearly 4k image was a PITA for me, it would be a pity, if this was lost forever and couldn’t be used by someone else.

The reason, why I finally did bake it in was the fact, that an additional shadow layer would hide all playfield reflections, which I didn’t want at all.

I thought about two solutions:

– I could publish a clean version at two sites or so as a recource (I wanted, but didn’t, not sure why)
      – I could add the clean image into the table image collection without really using it (increases file and needed RAM size)

I give this for discussion because I’m close to releasing an update for Fathom vintage and release the new Fathom LED Mod and would be interested in your opinions or ideas.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

I find that latest suggestion to be a good solution. Keeping the image in HQ inside the table. I didn’t know that it uses RAM if there are no references to it ? You sure about it ?

Sounds like something that should be fixed to be honest.

vogliadicane
        Participant
          @vogliadicane

no I’m not really sure, just an assumption. I mean the table file is loaded as it is to the RAM, where to else?

BorgDog
          Participant
            @borgdog
            MemberContributorvip

I’m not sure I agree that an additional shadow layer hides the playfield reflections, in fact I’m pretty sure it doesn’t, just played with a table I have a shadow layer on to see, and reflections are definitely still there.

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Best would be include both I think in table.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

arconovum
              Participant
                @nicholaschristopher
                MemberContributor

Ultimately it’s up to the author. If your table is already to heavily taxed and causing slowed downs, baking it directly will help deduce that.

Too do this though I was required to have 2 layers. and as you can see my PF surface reflex ions are still accounted for.

vogliadicane
                Participant
                  @vogliadicane

BorgDog yes and no, I think, actually think and not know. My thoughts: that a horizontal wall with an image is not capable of reflections like the playfield I think is a fact. On the other hand shadows usually are not solid but have a lot of transparency so the reflections from below can still be seen. That’s maybe why it works with a shadow layer.

On the other hand (a very picky argumentation I confess) let’s say some plain grey surface with a thin glass above (like some material covered by a clear coat) the shadow would lie on the color surface whereas the reflection would happen on the glass surface ABOVE the shadow.

Actually I didn’t test both options, but these were my thoughts.

arconovum: impressive and yes the reflections are still visible. A shadow layer in your case is a wall with an image?

Maybe I made it too complicated and it really doesn’t matter. Still I’d like to use a bked in version. What would you choose of my suggestions above? I tend to including the clear image directly in the table.

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

I think you can have a shadow layer and retain reflections. If you don’t like the results of a shadow/transparent image on a playfield-level ramp you might look at what Dark is doing with baked shadows on a flasher. Intriguing stuff.

arconovum
                    Participant
                      @nicholaschristopher
                      MemberContributor

I think you can have a shadow layer and retain reflections. If you don’t like the results of a shadow/transparent image on a playfield-level ramp you might look at what Dark is doing with baked shadows on a flasher. Intriguing stuff.

that’s how I do it, baked shadow on a flasher not a ramp or wall.

HauntFreaks
                        @hauntfreaks
                        vipContributorMember

I really don’t think I need to chime in on this one…. its pretty cut and dry….lol

arconovum
                        Participant
                          @nicholaschristopher
                          MemberContributor

Lol HF.. I had a joke for that comment of yours but will keep it to myself!

vogliadicane
                          Participant
                            @vogliadicane

what means “cut and dry”?

rothbauerw
                              @rothbauerw
                              ModeratorContributorMembervip

Or you could just include a resources packet in the download file.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

gtxjoe
                              Participant
                                @gtxjoe

You could upload the unmodified playfield image as a separate VP resource upload

freneticamnesic
                                  @freneticamnesic
                                  vipModeratorMember

Playfield shadows on a separate layer do not affect playfield reflections, if you are having an issue with that can you upload an example?

Punch it!

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Ultimately it’s up to the author. If your table is already to heavily taxed and causing slowed downs, baking it directly will help deduce that. Too do this though I was required to have 2 layers. and as you can see my PF surface reflex ions are still accounted for.

ummm… who is this guy anyways! really cool stuff. amazing really!

********************************************************
                                    for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                                      @hauntfreaks
                                      vipContributorMember

all this is just silly… a baked texture is a step backwards in VP tech
                                      why not just have one big layer, or go back to “photo realistic” VP
                                      or 1024 x 1024 PF images…
                                      Just because a VERY VERY talented builder has decided to do this doesn’t mean it’s right…
                                      how can this even be a discussion??…. the topic should be called “why the hell would you need to bake a shadow onto a PF”
                                      the PF no lights no shadows… make it look as close to a stripped PF with moderate ambient light (VPX can do the rest) perfect example is borgs Golden Arrow
                                      the shadows image on a ramp, wall, flasher… just that its not baked into the PF
                                      this has worked fine ever since we could do it….

freneticamnesic
                                        @freneticamnesic
                                        vipModeratorMember

Well, honestly, build it how you want to build it, don’t worry about how others tell you to build things! But since it’s been brought up, don’t baked shadows in simply because you think it doesn’t work. If you wanted to bake shadows in the pf image because it’s EASIER for you, then that’s your prerogative and nobodies business

Punch it!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                        randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

Well said Fren :good:

for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                                            @hauntfreaks
                                            vipContributorMember

I agree… just don’t wreck the PF image….. oh wait… there are 5 ways to do it, and only one wrecks the PF image… how about we dont do that one…just out of respect for the table itself, and we won’t regret it in the future like MANY MANY playfields from the past… we have hundreds of unusable PF images from the past because lights and shadows were baked onto them… so fuck it… lets just relive history…  :negative:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?