Star Trek (Stern) (Ultimate Edition, v1.03) (physics 2.6) (DOFLinx – Cabinet Edition)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/star-trek-stern-ultimate-edition-v1-03-physics-2-6-doflinx-cabinet-edition/

Star Trek (Stern) (Ultimate Edition, v1.03) – by SLAMT1LT

DOFLinx mod by TerryRed and DDH69

A video demonstration of this table running on a cabinet using DOFLinx can be seen at:

DOFLinx – “A powerful utility for cabinet owners to make the most of force feedback and lighting.” – by DDH69

This Future Pinball table has DOFLinx commands added to it. This will enable support for pinball cabinet force feedback devices such as solenoids (flippers,bumpers,slingshots,drop targets,etc), RGB lighting and flashers, beacon, strobes, blower fan, shaker, FIRE and other buttons lights, and more! This will work with Led-Wiz, Sainsmart USB, PACLED64, and KL25Z.

Cabinet Use:
      For cabinet users running DOFLinx: This table will function with the in-game sounds for mechanical devices such as flippers, slingshots, bumpers, etc muted.  Instead, you will only hear your cabinet’s feedback devices for those actions. The rest of the game’s sounds will play normally as intended by the table author.

Desktop Use:
      For desktop users: This table will still function normally without the need for DOFLinx to be running or installed (read “Requirements / Installation”). It will play perfectly with the original in-game mechanical sounds playing through your PC’s speakers. Note: Any DMDs or HudOverlays intended for desktop use were moved out of view so that they will not appear on the playfield (this was intended for DOFLinx cabinet use) .

Night Mode:
      For cabinet users who want to play at night with their cabinet noise makers turned off, this table can be toggled between Cabinet Use (noisy), and Desktop Use (Night Mode). Please consult the DOFLinx guide (included with the DOFLinx install package) for more information on how to use Night Mode.

Please read Requirements / Installation to setup DOFLinx.

We hope you enjoy the DOFLinx cabinet experience!

This is my first attempt at doing anything with VB script or creating feedback for a table. I only added in feedback support, and didn’t change any functions of the original table. SLAMT1LT gave permission to mod and host this table. – TerryRed

For SLAMT1LT’s newest versions of his tables (without DOFLinx support), goto his website:

http://speak1970.wixsite.com/slamspinballemporium

2 users thanked author for this post.
      freneticamnesic
        @freneticamnesic
        vipModeratorMember

Well shit now I’ve really got to try this doflinx business out. Thanks

Punch it!

TerryRed
          @terryred

Well shit now I’ve really got to try this doflinx business out. Thanks

…and I’m looking forward to your VPX LE version! The RGB playfield lighting looks fantastic!

While I can never match randr’s amazing addressable led effects of the VPX version, I was inspired to do what I could to add some animated effects. The previous LED-Wiz support for Future Pinball didn’t really allow for any dimming of LEDs, nor did it support beacons, blower fan and other modern toys for cabinets.

DDH69 did the initial feedback for flippers, slingshots, bumpers, etc  and the initial lighting fading at the start of the table.

This is my first attempt at doing any kind of VB scripting, so I’m a bit of a noob with all this guys.  I’m still learning more about pinball each day. To think that 1 year ago, I didn’t even have my pincab build even started yet…

I added animated fading effects using the 5 RGB flashers. A first for a Future Pinball table! This will look MUCH nicer on a standard 5 flasher “left to right bar” at the back of the playfield, than it does with my layout. I would LOVE to see all those animated effects on someone else’s cabinet! They were designed to mimic the movement of the ball at certain times from left to right, left to center, right to center, center to both outer left and right, etc..  I used fading effects to give a bit of a trail effect instead of a quick flash.

I used these effects for:

-Orbits in and out, warp kicker, alpha ramp, beta ramp, photon torpedo FIRE (outer to center), vengeance multi fire (center to outer 3 times), vengeance explosion.

Other bits of feedback:

-beacon for vengeance multi-ball

-strobes for vengeance firing and insert coin

-start button flashing after coin inserted

-blower fan for warp kicker

-shaker, beacon, flashers for tilt

-FIRE button that flashes when photon torpedos are ready to fire  (This is just like the central FIRE button on the Stern lockdown bar. I have a FIRE button on my cabinet)

-slingshots that flash “random” colours

-bumpers that flash colours

The very first thing I did was add the FIRE button, beacon, and blower fan effects…as those have never been done on any Future Pinball table before! (that I know of at least)

Since there are no roms involved here, I had to learn how the table is coded for everything, as everyone can code their tables differently and it can be hard to understand what is going on. Luckily SLAMT1LT had excellent notes, and DDH69’s Indy and MOTU DOFLinx mods were great examples to learn from.

Now anyone with an Led-Wiz, Sainsmart USB, PACLED64, or KL25z (Pinscape) can play this table with feedback!

I hope to mod other original SLAMT1LT tables and mods, as there are already excellent VPX arcade recreations with DOF support.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Thanks for this. Will test it out tonight!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

in FP how did you get it to run in the ball toss mode?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

senseless
              Participant
                @senseless

Thanks TerryRed! DOFLinx really makes a big difference. The moment I have some free time on my hands I will help out on coding existing tables to enable DOFLinx.

But first I need to play around with your pimped version of Star Trek tonight B-). Let’s see if I can get the FP link working.

TerryRed
                  @terryred

in FP how did you get it to run in the ball toss mode?

You configure the Test Roller (Ball Roller) in the game keys and controls option in FP. You can either use a spare gamepad or a mouse to do it. You can have multiple gamepads and the mouse enabled in FP no problem.

For  a gamepad (what I used in the video….MUCH better method), just configure what you want for your x and y axis for “Test Roller” and what button will enable it. You do the same for a mouse and it works, but no where near as nicely as a gamepad thumbstick (or even a flight stick).

I can’t even imagine trying to build a table and test without this feature. It made it SOOOO much easier when trying to add feedback and to test multiball modes,etc…  You have to be thorough because some feedback you’ve added may work in “x” situation, but may continue to work in “y” mode even though its not supposed to, etc..

It really makes you appreciate the amazing amount of work that goes into making a table (in FP or VP) when you have to go through all that code.

TerryRed
                    @terryred

Thanks TerryRed! DOFLinx really makes a big difference. The moment I have some free time on my hands I will help out on coding existing tables to enable DOFLinx. But first I need to play around with your pimped version of Star Trek tonight B-) . Let’s see if I can get the FP link working.

When going through the DOFLinx guide, it can seem a bit daunting at first because DOFLinx does so many different things, but for Future Pinball full feedback (FPLink) its pretty simple to setup DOFLinx.

Have DOF R3 installed first. Install DOFLinx, copy over the vbs file into your Future Pinball/scripts folder, and configure your setup in the DOFLinx.ini file.

A few things about running DOFLinx for FPLink.

-it doesn’t interfere with current LED-Wiz enabled tables or setups (it doesn’t need any open gl files)

-when having DOFLinx always running in the background and FP_Attempt_Link is enabled, launching a DOFLinx’d FP table from PBX should work really easy. DOFLinx won’t come alive until it detects FP running, and goes to sleep after exiting. It won’t interfere with PBX or VP at all. I hate having programs running in the background, but this one has not given me any problems.

-if you are trying to run DOFLinx outside of PBX with FP directly…you need to close DOFLinx and re-open it for each launch of the table. Or you can enable the excellent de-bugging mode (with extra testing features) and right-click the “stop / hold/ restart” option to disable DOFLinx between table launches  This is because when FP makes DOF-Linx “alive”, it waits around 30-60 secs to establish FPLink. If it doesn’t detect the link coming from a DOFLinx’d FP table, then DOFLinx will run in the “normal” mode meant for other pinball programs.

– your setup of your outputs in the FP_Attempt_Link section in the DOFLinx.ini is very important. This is where the “user” gets to configure aspects of the feedback to their liking for all DOFLinx’d Future Pinball tables (similar to the DOF Config Tool).   Such as how long you can hold your flippers before the solenoid will automatically release (to prevent over heating), what kind of beacons and strobes you have (flashing / always on), how long each of your solenoids will stay on for bumpers,etc. You can also combine outputs here (similar to DOF Config Tool). I have my middle and rear center solenoids combined, and I have my center flasher and RGB undercab lighting combined. I also have my blower fan combine with the shaker (since I don’t have one yet). It all works great!

Make sure you install the newest DOFLinx version. Currently 3.05 I believe.

senseless
                    Participant
                      @senseless

Thanks TerryRed, I was involved in the beta testing at vpf and am quite familiar with the program. I got things up and running and the FP extensions are working quite well. I did notice some unexpected behaviour and  I will relay this to DDH69. There is a difference between running DOFLinx as startup or manual. The latter gives me Net 4.0 errors and kills DOFLinx. I think it has to do with an unstable handshake between FP and DOFLinx but have to do some further testing. As a windows startup program it runs the tables and both Star Trek and MOTU demonstrate the great flexibility DOFLinx gives. Everyone with toys in their cabs and who play FP just need to start fooling around with this!

How much time did it cost you to alter the table for inserting the code and is there permission from Slamtilt to modify all his tables :)?

TerryRed
                        @terryred

Yes, SLAM gave permission to mod his tables and to host them on other sites (including vpforums!). I made it clear that we were only adding DOFLinx support to the tables. GLXB also said the same for his tables.

I make sure everything I add to a table has a comment / note with it, so that others can learn from it, and so the original authors can see what I have done. The Star Trek modded table has a good template to work from for other tables.

I used to run DOFLinx as a manual startup back when it was DOFFX2, but now I just have it always running…as that is how DDH69 designed it to work from the beginning. Never had any issues running it that way since then…but haven’t tried running it manually except while adding feedback to a FP table.

As for time to add feedback…well it was really slow at the beginning as it was all new to me. I could have kept it simple and had it done much quicker, but I needed to do some testing as well. The ball roller function of FP is key to making the testing MUCH easier! Maybe a few nights of playing around.

SLAM’s tables…if you plan on updating a specific one…let me know so that I will do a different table than the one you are working on. I think DDH69 was going to start Jaws, but he maybe working on getting other new features into DOFLinx for V4.

Phil Docker
                        Participant
                          @dock

Think it could be time to install Future Pinball….

Never thought I would see the day I said that!

RustyCardores
                            @rustycardores
                            MemberModerator

Think it could be time to install Future Pinball…. Never thought I would see the day I said that!

You can have mine ;)

freneticamnesic
                              @freneticamnesic
                              vipModeratorMember

I don’t know the best place to post this.. I get .NET errors with DOFLinx, tried to run it today, put it in my DirectOutput folder and changed the .ini to point to that folder, any other changes need to be made to get it to work? Here’s the error I get when I click DOFLinx.exe

Punch it!

TerryRed
                                @terryred

I don’t know the best place to post this.. I get .NET errors with DOFLinx, tried to run it today, put it in my DirectOutput folder and changed the .ini to point to that folder, any other changes need to be made to get it to work? Here’s the error I get when I click DOFLinx.exe

Best place would be to ask DDH69 here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=106

DOFLinx was designed to be running all the time…but if you are trying to run a Future Pinball like this one that has been modded for FPLink outside of Pinball X, then you need to first have Future Pinball ready to run with the table loaded. Then open DOFLinx (close it first if it was already open), then right away start the table in Future Pinball. If you don’t do that then the link won’t be established…and apparently that is when this error happens.

Myself, I have Pinball X load up DOFLinx when it first loads. Then DOFLinx waits for Future Pinball (or PBFX2,etc) to be detected. When you launch a Future Pinball table (that has been DOFLinx modded) from Pinball X, then  DOFLinx wakes up and establishes the FPLink and when the table starts your good to go. When you exit the table, then DOFLinx doesn’t see Future Pinball anymore and sleeps.  That’s how my setup for DOFLinx’d Future Pinball tables works. No issues for me that way.

senseless
                                Participant
                                  @senseless

I definitely want to do a table coding, let’s align with DDH69 to share the workload :). Slamt1lt and GLXB make awesome tables and to be really honest DOF makes FP really very interesting. Played MOTU and Star Trek last night and with DOF these tables are so much more fun. I think I would like to start to mod LOTR and/or Nightmare on Elmstreet.

I agree with you on the approach loading a DOFLinx FP table. In this sequence it works quite well.

STAT
                                  Participant
                                    @stefanaustria
                                    MemberContributor

Dont use FP – and – DOF … but this Looks really awesome …

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

I definitely want to do a table coding, let’s align with DDH69 to share the workload :). Slamt1lt and GLXB make awesome tables and to be really honest DOF makes FP really very interesting. Played MOTU and Star Trek last night and with DOF these tables are so much more fun. I think I would like to start to mod LOTR and/or Nightmare on Elmstreet. I agree with you on the approach loading a DOFLinx FP table. In this sequence it works quite well.

I would try to tackle the tables that aren’t due for an update first. Nightmare isn’t complete yet, so I would hold off on that one for now. LOTR is also due for an update.

If you do try adding DOFLinx support….PLEASE make sure you put notes beside everything you enter. It will make it easier for you, and anyone else down the line that may try to help you out.

Here’s a couple of Future Pinball scripting guides to help you understand the basics of VB scripting.

http://www.vpforums.org/Tutorials/FPGuides/BigDraco.html

http://www.vpforums.org/Tutorials/FPGuides/FP_Script_guide.htm

senseless
                                      Participant
                                        @senseless

Thanks. I did Slamt1lt’s Centaur today and must say it was not too difficult. Some small issues but hope to finalize this one tomorrow.

A download link of the beta is available via the the vpf forum:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=36042

Phil Docker
                                        Participant
                                          @dock

Well – my ‘2 ents’

Years ago I bought the upgraded hard drive for my ultrapin, with a load of VP and Future pinball tables on it.  Back then I thought that the physics in FP were very poor.

I am sorry to say that nothing has changed in my opinion.

This table looks absolutely fantastic, but I just do not like FP as an engine.

ps Terry – your cab is fantastic !

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

Well – my ‘2 ents’ Years ago I bought the upgraded hard drive for my ultrapin, with a load of VP and Future pinball tables on it. Back then I thought that the physics in FP were very poor. I am sorry to say that nothing has changed in my opinion. This table looks absolutely fantastic, but I just do not like FP as an engine. ps Terry – your cab is fantastic !

I’m not going to convince you (or anyone else) to love Future Pinball, to each their own. There are other FP hating threads around that people can indulge in.

I love VPX and Future Pinball alike.

If you are playing this table with just normal Future Pinball, and not with BAM and the proper intended physics setup correctly, then it will play really bad…just like some of the VP tables I have played out there that aren’t setup / optimized well.

I included the “intended” physics XML file that should be copied into the “Tables” folder with the table (and should have the same name as the table). If you don’t run BAM, then this XML file is useless.

I have seen many people use vanilla Future Pinball while trying to play newer tables that are configured for different physics settings, (Zed, 2.5,2.6,2.7,2.7 SLAMT1LT) and of course those tables will play horrendously.

Now if you do have it setup correctly, and you still hate it…no harm no foul. Many people have no problem playing FP tables, and its great that VPX is around for those that don’t.

Please don’t spoil the fun is all I’m saying guys. This isn’t directed at you specifically Phil…I just hate FP bashing in a FP thread.

Oh, and thanks for the cabinet compliment Phil!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?