Star Wars – Empire Strikes Back, The (Hankin 1980) Sound Mod v1.8

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    xenonph
    Participant
      @xenonph
      MemberContributor

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/star-wars-flashersoundmod-empire-strikes-back-the-hankin-1980-v2-3/

I first would like to thank 32assassin for giving me permission to make this sound mod. I would also like to thank him for making a great table!! I also would like to thank everyone who contributed to this table including, Artwork by Francisco7666, and DOF by Arngrim!!
      They put in alot of time and work on the original table, and it is appreciated!! So if you like this mod, I would encourage you to thank the original author of the table, as I have only made a few changes!
      Original Table…
      http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11797

I also would like to thank Flupper for his great Flasher resource table!!

I would also like to thank Thalamus for telling me how to use resource tables!!

I also would like to thank Allknowing2012 and Gtxjoe for teaching me how to add timers to script!

I also would like to thank DJRobX, STAT, Gtxjoe, and nFozzy, for helping me shorten my StopSounds and PlaySounds script commands.
      (They each wrote out an example, and between them all, I was able to figure it out!! BIG THANKS!!!)

I would also like to thank DJRobX for showing me example of flasher script command for flasher placement in FS mode.

I would also like to thank STAT for his NFL Script to change teams which this bumper script is based on. THANKS STAT!!

I also would like to thank Steve “Slydog43” for which these VPX mods would not be possible!!
      WARNING!!! THIS TABLE HAS ALOT OF FLASHING LIGHTS, AND MAY CAUSE SEIZURES!!! PLAY AT OWN RISK!!!

Version 2.2.1
      Added NFozzy’s FastFlips by changing usesolenoids=19. Big thanks NFozzy!!!

Version 2.2
      Added HauntFreaks FS POV settings for cabinets.
      Added FS backdrop pic to cover exposed area after using HF POV settings.
      Shut off variable when coin is inserted and player 1 is pressed before the 2 second timer shuts off. So now player1 start pics won’t shut off early if player1 is pressed before 2 second timer shuts off on coin insert.
      Shut off 2 more variables on drain hit.(Can’t believe I missed this.)
      Fixed Pics for FS view (For those who modified POV settings, the pics were cut in half in FS view. So now they are seen at top of table when activated, thanks to DJRobX for the example script command for placement of flashers.
      Fixed DT view Darth flashing eyes so nose isn’t lit up also.
      Added warning about flashing lights may cause seizures while playing game.
      Added 2 more pics activated by sound effects.
      Added keypress of the letter “N” that shuts off Pics that are activated by sounds.
      Added Keypress of the letter “M” that turns Pics on that are activated by sounds.
      Added choice of 1 of 4 upper two bumpers pics selected by Left Magna-Save button (L-CTRL).
      Added choice of 1 of 8 lower four bumpers pics selected by Right Magna-Save button (R-CTRL).
      I learned how to add this script code to change bumper pics from STAT’s example in my NFL mods.
      The first 3 bumper pics when changed are same for both upper and lower bumpers. (Red,Blue and Green stormtrooper.)
      The last 4 bumper pics for the lower 4 bumpers are 2 different Stormtrooper helmets with and without black border.
      These last 4 stormtrooper helmet bumper cap pics, look better on FS setup as compared to DT view, and didn’t look right when added to upper 2 bumpers.
      (Mainly added for FS view users.)
      Added blue lights under apron and on upper strip in FS view on game start.

Version 2.0
      Added 27 flashers from Fluppers resource table. Big Thanks Flupper!!
      3 of them are visible above the plastics. The rest are underneath the plastics.
      I figured why not add fantasy flashers, as the table is already fantasy sound mod.
      (I may do this for all my sound mods!! I am addicted to flashers!! lol)
      Fixed left targets below bumper. Two of them were named wrong.
      (Would have never noticed this if not for adding these flashers!)
      Added “plungerreleasefree” sound effect from BorgDogs Buck Rogers VPX table, so if no ball is in plunger, it plays “plungerreleasefree” sound effect, and no others.
      Added “Impressive” Vader sound effect to plungerlane rollover, that is triggered only when you enter plungerlane after Darth target is down.
      Removed background music sound effect “0ESB13.mp3”, as it didn’t fit table.
      Added triangles to front of bottom inlane wire guides, as you could get ball to balance on it. Now you can’t.
      Missed a few rubbers that were set to hit height of 35. Changed them to 27.
      Adjusted Y-Offset for DT view, and X-Offset for Cabinet view, to cover opening at bottom of apron.
      1 of 3 colors illuminates plunger lane with plunger release.
      Added Vader eyes flashing for DT view. This flasher is tied to all Vader targets and bumpers and the 2 Vader spinners.

Version 1.8
      Added 30 more sound effects, including 4 new background music sound effects.
      Changed all sound effects to be played through backglass instead of table per Vogliadicanes info.

Version 1.7
      Removed DOF call from script for Bumpers 5 and 6 so they are like 32assassin had them originally.
      Removed upper outside rollover lane dividers as the original table did not have them.
      Added timer to start up music so there is an attract mode sequence started at table start.
      Added Sub for sound effect on Ball Release to plunger.
      Added “coin” sound effect to insert coin key 5.
      Added StopSounds Sub to cut down size of script.
      Added 10 more voice sound effects triggered by coin insert, Player1 Start, and 2 upper Kickers.
      Added 1 more background music sound effect that plays during ball in play, triggered by plunger pull.

Version 1.6
      Fixed right flipper advancing upper Starship Lanes lights.

Version 1.5
      Fixed drop targets so they reset properly. They were mistakenly set to the wrong solenoid callback number.

Version 1.4

Lowered hit height physics from 35 to 27 on all rubbers.(Big thanks to Thalamus for this info!!)

Fixed ball from getting stuck in lower right inlane after changing from 35 to 27, by moving the right sling over to left the least amount I could.

Fixed ball getting stuck on top of upper right rollover divider that I added in v1.3, by raising it to same level as divider next to it, and then making small transparent wall to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Removed script that I added to make insert coin key 5. Added new script that BorgDog showed me that will allow for both 3 and 5 keys to work for inserting credits. (Big thanks BorgDog!!)

Removed Darth Vader breathing sound effect from 2 upper kickers, and replaced with Yoda saying “Help you I can.” (Hear enough of the Darth breathing on side drains!!)

Added random voice sound effects between attract mode background music sound effects.

Version 1.3

Added lane dividers to sides of upper rollovers.(They seemed to be missing and allowed for rollover to not be hit when ball traveled through outer lanes.)
      I just copied and pasted the same dividers that were already made for inner upper rollovers.

Version 1.2

I added script command so the 5 key works as insert coin. (No need to modify VPMkeys.vbs or Hankin.vbs)
      If you want the insert coin key to be 3, just comment out Line 13 in table script or delete it.

I changed name of upper rollovers on right side to sw14 and sw15. The outside lane was mistakenly named sw14, instead of sw15, and inside lane was named TopRollover, instead of sw14.

I added FlipperUP and FlipperDown sounds from GIJOE table.

I added soundFX script to bottom 2 bumpers. I just copied the end of script that was on the other 4 bumpers.

I added 12 background music sound effects, 17 drain voice sound effects, 9 coin voice sound effects, and 26 other sound effects triggered by events.(All from Empire Strikes Back movie.)

The top center target plays 1 of 3 ship flyby sound effects, X-Wing, Millenium Falcon, and a Tie Fighter.

I added script command that shuts off the rom sound at table start, and turns it back on with table exit.
      (If you want the original rom sounds on, download the original table. THIS IS A SOUND MOD!!)

Place contents of music folder in your music folder located where you installed Visual Pinball Program.

All pics, trademarks, Logos and sounds belong to their respectful owners. This table is for personal home, and non-commercial use only. This table should be used for educational purposes only..

Hope you enjoy!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      xenonph
      Participant
        @xenonph
        MemberContributor

Hope I didn’t go too crazy with the flashers!!

This is only the second table I have ever added flashers to.

I just learned how to do these flashers a week before Christmas!!

I will get better at this!!

Let me know what you think.

I am addicted to these flashers!! lol

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Thanks you Xenonph. Looking forward to try this out. Since this is a mod of a original table I don’t mind it having some extras attached :) I see that you say you’ve found some more errors from the original table. I try to keep one as close to the original as possible and then I have your version. So, if you could provide some more details into what you found it would be great. Don’t want to hunt for it if you already know ;-)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          xenonph
          Participant
            @xenonph
            MemberContributor

I just swapped names with sw24 and sw20 as seen in pic.

Capturez

Should be easy fix for the original table. I sent 32assassin message with info on what to change.

I just found a flaw in my script. After 3rd ball drains, the plungerreleasefree sound effect doesn’t play. I forgot to shut off variable, but it is fixed now.

I will upload fixed version as soon as I add this new thing to table I just figured out!!! OMG I am excited about this!! Not as exciting as HauntFreaks roaches, but damn close!! I need to get this working!!

Attachments:
            Thalamus
              @thalamus

Guess I’ll wait for 2.01 then :)

Update: Couldn’t wait – had to give it a try and well – it is Star Wars after all so this is completely fine as a Mod. Yes, a lot of flashers but I like it !

I would however consider changing the flipper angles just slightly to more normal values. But, well, I can do that locally :)

xenonph
              Participant
                @xenonph
                MemberContributor

You would only notice this if you pulled plunger without ball in plungerlane after game was over.

I am excited at what I think I can add to this table!!!

Might take a couple days.

Might be done before night is over.

Stay tuned!!

Think I need to put some more coffee on!!! Another 48 hour shift of Pinball Making Bliss!! I love working on these tables!!

I think I am addicted!!!

To think I only started 2 years ago, with no knowledge of photo editting or messing with Visual Pinball program before.

I downloaded JPSalas’s Smurf Whitewater Mod, only to find out there was no table, but a pic you had to import into table.

This got me thinking I could do this same thing for Seahawks on the NFL table!!

This is what got me started on this journey of learning and why I started making table mods!!

I keep a personal message STAT sent me after my first mod. (Seahawks Pinball.)

He asked me what program I used for photo editting,(A nice way of saying I needed help!! lol) I told him I used the Paint program built into windows for very first time in my life. He gave me some tips and links to gimp photo editting program. (I still use Paint, and only use Gimp for transparency.)

Hopefully you all can see an improvement in my work. I still consider myself a beginner at all this, but I am a quick learner, and will only get better at it!!

The cool thing about working on these tables is you learn something new everyday!!

Ok enough rambling!!

Im getting back to work on this new feature I am adding to Star Wars!!

Carry on!!

EDIT:

@Thalamus

this is a widebody table. I never messed with dimensions of table. They are same as original.

But when played in cabinet, the flippers may seem at weird angle,(as the table is stretched too long in my opinion.) As I said though, these are the original authors settings. I only moved the Y-Offset and X-Offset to move table down to cover bottom of apron.

I was going to add flashers at very top of table and change X from 1.34 to 1.30 which would give room for flashers on backdrop and shorten table so flippers arent at weird angle, and the bumpers look more round for cabinet view.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus

Yeah, Well, I have a widebody pin so making x = y is kind of what I aim at for this table. All is good. I’ll just change what I find best anyway ;)

I should hit this table up on YT and see if angles are more like I expect them to be than just suggesting ;-)

xenonph
                  Participant
                    @xenonph
                    MemberContributor

As you know, I am a Desktop version user without a cabinet. so I never mess with those settings as I figure the original author has them set correctly as they are usually cabinet users. I almost made it with shortened playfield but it left quite the black strip at top of table. Is that something cabinet users would like? If so I will make new FS version and add flashers on backdrop to try and cover the black strip.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

LOL. I’m not sure what you mean exactly but I kind of have to laugh at your only solution to the problem … more flashers ;-)

Don’t get me wrong. I like what you’ve done so why the hell not. It doesn’t look like the original anymore anyway. Hmm. Look at Hauntfreaks Harley Quinn and add some light saber looking flippers might be a good idea while your on it ;-) Remember, it is a mod, if HF can get away with it, so can you. Just have fun with it ! B-)   :good:

Micronaut
                      Participant
                        @micronaut

very cool,i like this flash effect, :good:

xenonph
                        Participant
                          @xenonph
                          MemberContributor

Well I just added a new feature to this table.

Not sure if everyone will like this feature, so I am hesitant to upload it.

As you all know, I have just learned how to add these flashers. Well I started thinking that if these flashers have a flash image, why couldn’t I add my own image?  All of these images that are triggered by sound effects are in fact flashers. This is how I was able to make Obi-Wan look like a blue spirit.(As seen in pic 1)

When a sound effect of certain character is played, a corresponding pic is displayed on apron.

Here are just a few examples…

Obi-Wan…

Capture3

Pilot Luke and R2D2

Capture4

Lightsaber Luke and Vader..

Capture7

Emperor..

Capture11

And FS view with C3P0..

Capture21

What do you think?

Should I upload this, or just keep for myself?

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I am not sure if people will want something like this.

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

I need to try it before I can really tell. But, don’t you think that you’ve be better off using PinUp player for stuff like this ? Then people can actually place it where they want. Even not see it if that is a preferred ? Terry mentioned something about that still images worked but wasn’t optimal. So, I don’t know. Again, up to you the creator.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

So, when I adjust the table so it is around mine and HF’ 1:1 scale. Things start to get weird. All of them looks like this. Been in the war already it seems ;-)

A tip for yourself would be – why do it look so different in Desktop mode vs FS. And what would happen if …

xenonph
                              Participant
                                @xenonph
                                MemberContributor

Like I said I am just a beginner at this. For some reason when I added pics to flashers, it would cut bottom off view of full pic, unless I raised flasher to height of 250. Why it was cutting off pic is still a mystery to me. But after raising the height of flasher to 250, the pictures were back to normal and not cut off.

I would love to make a PUP version also, but obviously I can’t even make a Pic version that works correctly lol.

Guess I should stick with what I know how to do.

I am currently trying to figure out how to shut off the pics with option in script so people  have choice to enable or disable pics. But it is easier said than done. I can only do what I am capable of doing. I think this will go on shelf until I learn more about everything.

It can seem overwhelming to venture into things you know very little about. We all like to be in our own comfort level. This seems to be right outside of my comfort level. I have only been messing with flashers for a couple of weeks. I just learned how to use resource tables less than month ago!!

I need to learn more!!!

This is the same as when I tried adding Drakor rom to Gorgar table. It is just beyond my current capabilities.

I appreciate the feedback!!

Sorry the table didn’t work for you.

I was trying out different things to add to blackstrip above with Hauntfreaks POV settings..

Here are a couple.

Capture-3

I like this one as the space and stars match playfield.

Capture2-2

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

:good: POV looks much better.

********************************************************
                                  Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                  for IOS and Android

********************************************************

xenonph
                                  Participant
                                    @xenonph
                                    MemberContributor

They are Hauntfreaks POV numbers. (Big thanks Hauntfreaks!!) I never mess with the FS view settings, as I always thought the original authors numbers were liked by all. Plus I don’t own a cabinet so hard for me to know what is best for cabinet view. I knew cabinet view looked stretched on this widebody table, and knew the POV numbers needed to be 1-1-1 for proper dimensions. I just figured since nobody complained about it to the original author of table, or on his download page or support topic or WIP topic, that it was accepted as good for all.

Only when I modify his table, are the POV settings bad? I never changed any POV settings for cabinet, except to pull the apron down over hole that was seen, by using Y-Offset, and did same for DT view by using X-Offset.

I personally like Hauntfreaks POV numbers, as that is what all tables dimensions should be set at…1-1-1.

Yes the widebody tables will not fill the whole cabinet screen and have black strip above with these settings, but look at the bumpers and see how they are not warped looking after changing to 1-1-1. This is how it is supposed to look!!

I am not giving up on this table, so  I am getting back to trying to get this stuff to work properly!

I will change all the other table mods I have worked on, to Hauntfreaks POV numbers. Or at least check to make sure 1-1-1 numbers are there.

Thanks for the feedback and info!!

The end goal is to make this how the people want it!!

I will do my best!!

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

1-1-1 is for widebody. You can’t really get around changing the Y a bit on standard sized tables. HF always does this best, but I’ve found a way that works pretty good if he is too lazy to post his POV.  :whistle: I think most people that roam this site on a daily basis have a slightly higher skill set then over at vpf so we don’t post that the POV is wrong. If we did, Dan, Bill and Mike would be in trouble ;-)

xenonph
                                      Participant
                                        @xenonph
                                        MemberContributor

Tried a couple more top fillers.

(Actually I have tried about 20 different ones but these 2 look best.)

Capture9

Capture10

Tried to get space battle scene…

Capture7-1

See how easy I get sidetracked!!

It’s a miracle I get anything accomplished!! lol

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus

#2 or #3 … “New” up in the left corner destroys the first one. Again, its your table – your the boss. You could peek into someone else code and make that change by using flippers :whistle:   Going outside you’re own comfort zone is scary, but, important if you want to learn new stuff. B-)

xenonph
                                          Participant
                                            @xenonph
                                            MemberContributor

That first pic is the Marquee of the Arcade game. (I was trying many different things.)

Yes it is important if you want to learn anything, to go outside of comfort zone.

One question. Do you know how to do, what you are telling me to do? You started to tell me why the pics looked cut off…

“A tip for yourself would be – why do it look so different in Desktop mode vs FS. And what would happen if …”

It is easy to say these things, but not so easy to implement it. Do you know why the pics are getting cut off?

Remember, I just learned how to add flashers and how to use resource tables this month.

I would love to put all the best things from every table into this one, but I can only do what I am capable of doing.

I would love to make a PuP version, but have no idea how to edit video. You wouldn’t send a construction worker to do the job of a film maker, or vice versa. Yes they could learn each others specialty but it may take years, before they actually know what they are doing.

It has taken me 2 years of working on these tables to get where I am now. I don’t want to have to spend another 2 years of learning, before releasing this table. Yes I want to learn everything about these programs,  and eventually will learn it all, but it will take time and understanding.

I will just release the flasher version without the pics, but with Hauntfreaks FS POV settings, until I can learn more about this. Unless you can tell me what is cutting off the FS pics?

I value your information and feedback my friend!! It pushes me to learn new things!!

You are the person who helped me to start using these resource tables!! So I would have never known how to add those flashers without your info!!

Have a great day my friends!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?