Stitching partial playfield scans into a single image

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Scotty VH
      @scottt
      ModeratorMember

Is there a tutorial on how to stitch partial playfield scans into a single image?  I have some new machines that I’d love to share resources for, and I also bought a scanner (but not large enough for the full playfield).  I’d love to stitch the scans into a single image, and then do a vector trace for 4k support (for now, and 4 jillion support in the future).  I’ve read many tutorials for hugin, but cannot get it to work, and most of those tutorials are 10-15 years old.  I’m reasonably skilled with Inkscape, and have some experience with GIMP.

Computers and software are way better today… what am I missing??  How are the smart people doing these thesedays? Rather, how are the semi-smart people doing this thesedays?

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Photoshop is great has built in stitching and is very good. YouTube stitching photos in photoshop it’s like 3 clicks and done. Send me images I can always stitch them for you

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

rothbauerw
          @rothbauerw
          ModeratorContributorMembervip

I think talented people are using the stitching function in photoshop.  Smart people send their images to talented people to have them stitched in photoshop.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

rothbauerw
            @rothbauerw
            ModeratorContributorMembervip

I’ve been corrected.  Non-talented people can stitch in photoshop too.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Scotty VH
              @scottt
              ModeratorMember

I think talented people are using the stitching function in photoshop. Smart people send their images to talented people to have them stitched in photoshop.

That was a brilliant statement.  If you’re not in politics, my advice is to quit your day job, and get into politics!!!

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

A lot of the time flatbed scans have some distortion around the edges. Not enough to be out of focus, but enough to prevent perfect alignment. I started requesting huge amounts of overlap from people willing to do scans for me, then cropping the edges before the stitch. If not, then I stack layers with rough alignment and set the top layer to “difference” in PS. That shows me only what isn’t lining up. A little work with the puppet tool and I can usually get things corrected to the point where I don’t have to do much image blending. Automated stitching is great most of the time, but with distorted edges it can leave strange artifacts at the stitch points.

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

ok, wtf is the puppet tool?

and for the record I’m pretty sure I sent my scans to someone who haunts what they are doing  :)

Oh and why would you vector a lovely high res scan?  I much prefer the realism the defects and not-perfectness imparts on the end result, but maybe that’s just me.

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

ok, wtf is the puppet tool?

Puppet warp lets you set specific points to bend or adjust but lets you pin everything else down so it stays in place. Really good for small matching work at edges.

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

sounds like that could be useful, thanks.

HauntFreaks
                        @hauntfreaks
                        vipContributorMember

I’ve stitched some of Borgs 1200dpi  per images scans… so were talking as detailed as it is possible (for the most part) and as perfect as those scans were the PS stitching still didnt pull it off  as perfect I or borg would have wanted…. it came down to stitching 2 images at a time then manually blending them together to get it to where I felt it looked good… oh and the puppet tool… if people use that… make sure you work on a copy of the main layer, because as much as it can help it can easily fuck shit up….

I also agree with borg if you have a great scan even if the PF isnt perfect… it will always look better than it being vectorized (yes I said it better then vectorized)
                        only time to make a vector PF is when you really want the table and no good scan is available… this doesn’t mean there isn’t some awesome vector PF’s out there and the guys that make them… they have WAY more detication than me, I love the hobby and some people in it… but fuck all that on some of the complex PF redraws some guys do… to create then silkscreen halftones that are need on some PF its insane…..

anyway thats my thoughts

nFozzy
                        Participant
                          @nfozzy

In my experience you’ll find out pretty quickly if it’s right for vector restoration or not

Good candidate:

Baaad:

Clark Kent
                          Participant
                            @clarkkent
                            MemberContributor

The best tool is PTGUI. Extremely professional.

Do NOT use a CCD Scanner for scanning or you get slightly different scans (focus is set for each scan separately so every scan is a little bit distorted or different in size). Always use a CIS scanner – or if possible a cruse scanner.

RustyCardores
                              @rustycardores
                              MemberModerator

Part of my job is reproducing fine artworks for print repro.  Until recently the artwork was shot using a 1.2Gigapixel Pentacon scanning camera.  Sadly, that died and being 9 years old is kind considered old tech these days and not worth repairing.

So currently, I am reproducing the art using a 42mp Sony and a sliding wall that moves the art so that it can se shot in sections.  Recombining this art is not a perfect science in Photoshop though.  One method may work for an image (reposition v’s perspective projection for example) but be hopeless on the next.  Also, you can you use the same method on the same set of images more than once and get a different result each time.

The ultimate method would be reproduce the playfields in a single scan.   I have tested the Fuji GFX 50mp medium format camera and the results are far and beyond any normal 50mp.  I have the Hasselblad coming on Tuesday to test and I believe with it’s pixel-shift it can create a 400mp image?  Next week I have the Phase One 100mp Trichomatic to test (amazing camera/sensor with detail to die for).

I think all of the above, when coupled with their respective 120mm macro lenses (the Fuji is possibly the sharpest/least distorted lens I have ever used in my 35 years as a tog btw) would produce amazing single frame/no stitch playfields….. especially when shot under my controlled cross-polarised lighting that removes ALL reflection/flare.

So perhaps we need to start thinking different when doing playfields and reach out to local photographers who may be able to offer their services with the above mentioned equipment? …….and of course I would be happy to help if there are any playfields in Brisbane Australia to be scanned.

alistair
                              Participant
                                @alistaircg

run photo merge in Photoshop its under file, choose just auto re-align leave off remove vignette and geometric distortion

Lightroom also does it

its not difficult to stitch images and no talent is needed, retouching on the other hand can get complicated and is better with a wacom and some degree of illustration skill

alistair
                                Participant
                                  @alistaircg

photoshop Stitch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?