Suggest me some pre-1990's machines!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Iain
    Participant
      @iain1986

Howdy

So I caught the virtual pinball “bug” pretty heavily over the past year or so, and I’ve got my own virtual cabinet built and running really smoothly. On it I’ve got lots of the more “modern” SS machine, pretty much all from 1990s onwards.

However I’m keen to try out some of the more classic and pre 1990s machines but my knowledge of this era is next to none.

What suggestions of tables do people have? What are people favourites?

My preference too is not just what is a good table, but what is a good VP recreation as well. Preferably VPX too.

(and yes, in the coming week I’m basically going to just go to Downloads and sort by Number of Downloads and just download each EM machine I find too…)

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

They are all great honestly. :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

freelunch
        Participant
          @freelunch

I included some tables in this list from 89-91 because I’m guessing you’re talking about pre-DMD SS when you say “modern”.

Capersville – This EM is interesting to me because it has zipper flippers. I didn’t even know what those were until recently.
          OXO – This probably has my favorite table rules for an EM.
          Flight 2000 – I like this one mostly because of nostalgia, but getting multiball is challenging and feels rewarding, plus it looks cool when you do.
          Black Hole – I think this was the first table made with a lower playfield, and it’s upside down.
          Goin Nuts – You’ll probably never play this in person, there’s like 3 of these prototypes in the world or something. You have to extend your ball time by making appropriate shots or the flippers will lock up.
          Joust – This is 2 player pinball. The VP version can have a second player or a CPU.
          Black Knight 2000 – This has a Magna Save and an upper playfield. Music is catchy.
          Diner – I think the theme of this table is pretty funny.
          Dr. Dude – This is my favorite pre-DMD SS table. I love the theme and table rules.
          Bride of Pinbot – I don’t find the table rules particularly interesting, but I love seeing that head flip around.

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

Sorcerer, Centaur,  Abra ca da bra are a few that come to my mind.

3dcreation

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

Sorcerer, Centaur, Abra ca da bra are a few that come to my mind.

LOL

freelunch
              Participant
                @freelunch

I forgot to mention I really like the original Pin.Bot. There’s no current release for VPX, but I think 32Assassin or someone has it on their to-do list. There’s a VP9 version.

Iain
                Participant
                  @iain1986

Cheers for the suggestions! Got a few of those 1989-1991 tables already but thanks for linking direct for them all!

I’ll be grabbing loads of them tonight I think.

STAT
                  Participant
                    @stefanaustria
                    MemberContributor

( Pin-Bot PhysMod5 Version: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12924 )

HauntFreaks
                      @hauntfreaks
                      vipContributorMember
                      Iain
                      Participant
                        @iain1986

Thanks for the further suggestions HauntFreaks, I downloaded all the others last night, think I’ll go through these tonight!

One issue i’ve had with a fair few is getting them into FreePlay mode. I’m sure I’ve done some in the past but I can’t remember how to navigate the system menus on these older machines? I get lost in the testing menus and seem to struggle to find adjustments.

I tried instead to map the Coin button from “5” to something else via the VPX menus, but that didn’t seem to work for most machines, I still had to press “5” for a credit even though I thought i’d remapped it? Are some tables hardcoded in the scripts to listen to “5” specifically? (I don’t have a button on my cab yet mapped to that key, tried to map it to “i” instead).

cyberpez
                        Participant
                          @cyberpez

Not to toot my own horn, but check out my Mars God of War table.  Its one I never would have given a second look at had someone not suggested I work on it.  Simple rules, but hard enough you always need just one more game.

freelunch
                          Participant
                            @freelunch

Thanks for the further suggestions HauntFreaks, I downloaded all the others last night, think I’ll go through these tonight! One issue i’ve had with a fair few is getting them into FreePlay mode. I’m sure I’ve done some in the past but I can’t remember how to navigate the system menus on these older machines? I get lost in the testing menus and seem to struggle to find adjustments. I tried instead to map the Coin button from “5” to something else via the VPX menus, but that didn’t seem to work for most machines, I still had to press “5” for a credit even though I thought i’d remapped it? Are some tables hardcoded in the scripts to listen to “5” specifically? (I don’t have a button on my cab yet mapped to that key, tried to map it to “i” instead).

There should be workarounds to make any table free play, whether it’s in ROM adjustments or dropping a couple lines of code in the table script. The workaround may already be in the table script, so check the comments somewhere in the beginning of the script to see if there are configurable options for credit/free play. It’s easier to help if you list the specific tables you’re having trouble with.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?