To Mod or Not to Mod, That is the Question

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    rothbauerw
      @rothbauerw
      ModeratorContributorMembervip

I’ve been having an internal debate about modding tables.  I’ve seen some really cool mods in VP, some that leave me in awe.  But, at the end of the day, I don’t play a table because of the mods.  I play a table because it’s fun/challenging.

What do folks on this board think?  Should authors spend time adding cools mods to tables, or more time perfecting game play or building new tables?

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

HauntFreaks
        @hauntfreaks
        vipContributorMember

2nd, 1st, 3rd

Scotty VH
          @scottt
          ModeratorMember

I’m a fan of mods that really the whole appearance of the table… like a vintage version, a LED/neon version, etc. but less of a fan of mods where a few things are slightly improved.  The reason is that I can’t remember what’s different about the mods so I end up not knowing which one to keep in PinballX, etc.  I’d LOVE for someone to make a new Music table template in VPX so we can enable people with my skill level to make some cool band-based mods.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

I think that authors shall do what they at any given time want to be doing. A happy author that doesn’t get bored is probably going do both eventually ;-)

Jesperpark
            Participant
              @jesperpark

I agree 100% with Haunt :wacko:

IMO playable as close to a real table is amazing to me.  Like it has been said Nfozzy, and yourself  have been spending a lot of time really getting the flipper physics etc. dialed in.  Pinball People that used to dismiss VP as a video game, now they are playing it and really liking the new play-ability of these tables.  But like said whatever keeps people making these awesome tables, I’m just happy they are being made.

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

playability  :good:

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                for IOS and Android

arconovum
                Participant
                  @nicholaschristopher
                  MemberContributor

nope I’m not touching this one… just walk away…

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

nope I’m not touching this one… just walk away…

You really are a smart guy.

Maybe I miss understood question but using Pinball Magic as example all the mods I’ve seen is to make it play correctly…no?

for IOS and Android

Scotty VH
                      @scottt
                      ModeratorMember

It would be great if everyone would/could agree with the different physics settings in the mods, and put them all into one, single, super-perfect release!

Ben Logan2
                      Participant
                        @benlogan2

For the most part, I prefer tables that emulate the real thing as closely as possible. But, in the VP9 days I really enjoyed LoadedWeapon’s night mods. More recently, I was totally impressed by ganjafarmer’s Time Fantasy — one of my current fave tables.

HauntFreaks
                          @hauntfreaks
                          vipContributorMember

this is no different than food… no one looks at an ugly plate of food (for the first time) and says mmm…mmm…mmm… I can’t wait to eat that plate of shit
                          its human nature to be a attached to something with curb appeal …. being a sexy MFer myself , I can tell ya, I know…
                          so making sure a table is as pretty as it is great playing… should go hand in hand…  IMO

I dont care if this was the most realistic VP ever made…. i’m not playing it

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

All i see is the gal on left :wacko: what table?

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                              @hauntfreaks
                              vipContributorMember

All i see is the gal on left :wacko: what table?

I think she has a rash….

arconovum
                              Participant
                                @nicholaschristopher
                                MemberContributor

All I see is the gal on the right, the one on the left is too wide in the chest, and honking upper thighs, and built like a viking!

rothbauerw
                                  @rothbauerw
                                  ModeratorContributorMembervip

To clarify, when I say mod, I don’t mean taking an existing table and improving it visually or changes to make it closer to the real thing.  I’m all for improving existing tables.  I don’t struggle with that concept at all.

Modding to me is adding things like a flying dragon that spits fire or glow balls or a spooky Rudy.  Again, not that I don’t love those things.  I just struggle with whether it adds enough value for people that are in this hobby to play.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

CarnyPriest
                                  Participant
                                    @carnypriest

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time

some mods are good, many are really bad

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

ok then! I do not like mods on real pins and don’t like them on digital pins. I have only ever installed one mod in 25 years on my personal pinballs and was cftbl lcd mod. So unless factory had toy installed i say don’t add it! or in VP add it but make it option to remove via script. But everyone likes what they like i guess. I like blondes some like red heads

for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                                        @hauntfreaks
                                        vipContributorMember

To clarify, when I say mod, I don’t mean taking an existing table and improving it visually or changes to make it closer to the real thing. I’m all for improving existing tables. I don’t struggle with that concept at all. Modding to me is adding things like a flying dragon that spits fire or glow balls or a spooky Rudy. Again, not that I don’t love those things. I just struggle with whether it adds enough value for people that are in this hobby to play.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH…… ok now its a whole other thing…. I can take or leave those things… some are neat…
                                        thanks for clarifying  :good:

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus
                                          ContributorMemberModerator

I too prefer that the author spends time on authenticity. Some mods I turn on and keep, others I explore and turn off. Kind of like in a real pin I guess. If it looks good and doesn’t distract me, why not keep it to show off to friends ? Take Funhouse. While weekly challenge on VPF, i turned all those mods off during the week. I’ve put back on mirror, random rudy and the clock mod. Now I’m waiting for the ultimate version to be released. I’ve heard physics is being worked upon, but, looking at what has been done to what I believe was a finished bride of pinbot, I’m sure I’ll be super happy with whatever will be released. And, the table will be finished when author says it is. Flupper1 comes to mind. Doesn’t push out a new table each week. But, once they arrive it is something very special. I don’t like to compare tables out in the open, but, I can say nFozzy’ Star Trek is also something very special too. Hell, there has been a lot of great tables released lately.

Personally. I’m a noob at this hobby, and I enjoy tinkering with those tables that has a problem or two as well. Not saying that they play better for everyone else, just saying I feel they play better for the person that will be playing these recreations the most. Me !

I’m kind of happy the way this community works right now. You have experts in several areas. And when they cooperate the outcome is almost always very impressive.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Don’t get me wrong about mods… in vp I think they are cool as I can delete them or turn them on or off! I love the funhouse clown mod an it’s on in my cab :) and the new hot chick mod on bop is fun too! Even the picture on apron in back to future is very cool!

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?