Tron Legacy (Stern 2011)

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    The Loafer
    Participant
      @theloafer

Juggla!

ICPjuggla
        @icpjuggla
        MembervipModerator

Loafer!

DJRobX
          @djrobx
          MemberModerator

I know these were commented out (and the Purple and yellow bits were incorrect), but it seems to sort of work…but I’m having a hard time trying to get the cabinet’s lighting to directly match the ON/OFF and intensity level to match that of the neon ramps.  Using the above conditions is “ok” for when it “changes” colour…but then it turns off right after that and makes for quite a seizure show.  :)   Which “switch” or “lamp” “Turns on” those neon ramps?   Anyone?

For completeness’ sake I’ll answer this.

L75, L76, l77 are basic VPM lights mapped to the aux board that controls the TRON ramps.    When I started working on the LE Aux board support, we found the serial-controlled RGB lights that had color gradients.   Once we had Star Trek LE working with all the ROM-controlled fading lights, this lead to several different people asking me about flashers in Monster Bash and Scared Stiff, that we were missing out on the light show because we aren’t seeing the intensity levels of these.   So I looked into that and found that the ROM pulses the solenoid rapidly (PWM) to control the intensity.    I came up with an algorithm to decode that and send it to VP.   This is now known as the Modulated Solenoid feature and you are using it in DOF with “NoBool” to get access to it for your flashers in some cases.

So back to Tron.   Now that I had nice fading flashers in Scared Stiff, I remembered that the Tron ramps look really wrong.   They’re flickering when they shouldn’t be.   Hey I wonder if it’s trying to do the same technique?   Answer: Yep.    You’re getting a “seizure show” because you’re getting the pulses instead of average signal level when they’re on.    So I plugged my new modulated solenoid routine into L75, L76, L77 and output them to L106,L105,L104, giving us the ability to do the smooth fading ramps you see now.

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

I know these were commented out (and the Purple and yellow bits were incorrect), but it seems to sort of work…but I’m having a hard time trying to get the cabinet’s lighting to directly match the ON/OFF and intensity level to match that of the neon ramps. Using the above conditions is “ok” for when it “changes” colour…but then it turns off right after that and makes for quite a seizure show. :) Which “switch” or “lamp” “Turns on” those neon ramps? Anyone?

For completeness’ sake I’ll answer this. L75, L76, l77 are basic VPM lights mapped to the aux board that controls the TRON ramps. When I started working on the LE Aux board support, we found the serial-controlled RGB lights that had color gradients. Once we had Star Trek LE working with all the ROM-controlled fading lights, this lead to several different people asking me about flashers in Monster Bash and Scared Stiff, that we were missing out on the light show because we aren’t seeing the intensity levels of these. So I looked into that and found that the ROM pulses the solenoid rapidly (PWM) to control the intensity. I came up with an algorithm to decode that and send it to VP. This is now known as the Modulated Solenoid feature and you are using it in DOF with “NoBool” to get access to it for your flashers in some cases. So back to Tron. Now that I had nice fading flashers in Scared Stiff, I remembered that the Tron ramps look really wrong. They’re flickering when they shouldn’t be. Hey I wonder if it’s trying to do the same technique? Answer: Yep. You’re getting a “seizure show” because you’re getting the pulses instead of average signal level when they’re on. So I plugged my new modulated solenoid routine into L75, L76, L77 and output them to L106,L105,L104, giving us the ability to do the smooth fading ramps you see now.

notworthy

:good:

Attachments:
            Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

@DjRobX I didn’t find any L75-L77 ??

TerryRed
                @terryred
                MemberContributorModerator

I know these were commented out (and the Purple and yellow bits were incorrect), but it seems to sort of work…but I’m having a hard time trying to get the cabinet’s lighting to directly match the ON/OFF and intensity level to match that of the neon ramps. Using the above conditions is “ok” for when it “changes” colour…but then it turns off right after that and makes for quite a seizure show. :) Which “switch” or “lamp” “Turns on” those neon ramps? Anyone?

For completeness’ sake I’ll answer this. L75, L76, l77 are basic VPM lights mapped to the aux board that controls the TRON ramps. When I started working on the LE Aux board support, we found the serial-controlled RGB lights that had color gradients. Once we had Star Trek LE working with all the ROM-controlled fading lights, this lead to several different people asking me about flashers in Monster Bash and Scared Stiff, that we were missing out on the light show because we aren’t seeing the intensity levels of these. So I looked into that and found that the ROM pulses the solenoid rapidly (PWM) to control the intensity. I came up with an algorithm to decode that and send it to VP. This is now known as the Modulated Solenoid feature and you are using it in DOF with “NoBool” to get access to it for your flashers in some cases. So back to Tron. Now that I had nice fading flashers in Scared Stiff, I remembered that the Tron ramps look really wrong. They’re flickering when they shouldn’t be. Hey I wonder if it’s trying to do the same technique? Answer: Yep. You’re getting a “seizure show” because you’re getting the pulses instead of average signal level when they’re on. So I plugged my new modulated solenoid routine into L75, L76, L77 and output them to L106,L105,L104, giving us the ability to do the smooth fading ramps you see now.

I understand how to use a nobool function for a single trigger activating a flasher with a single colour. An example from TOTAN:

S16 Yellow nobool @flshemulo@ L15

Solenoid S16 will PWM the Outer Left Flasher with the colour yellow.

What I don’t understand is how I can do the same thing: to have a flasher (MX led in this case) use a similar function for L106, L105, L104 via a nobool command but to light a flasher with same matching RGB Colour and intensity…not just a single colour?

Is this even possible?

TerryRed
                  @terryred

I’ve been beta testing PinUp Player. A new program that lets you play full video files (ANY resolution, any format) in game. These are triggered from in table events. So otherwords, you get a SLAMT1LT or Jersey Jack-like backglass and Topper screen while playing your game!

I’ve been using this table as my first test and mod for PinUp Player. I gotta say it’s been looking pretty sweet!

I was having a hell of a time trying to use table lights to trigger videos with good timing… then I finally realised…the one thing that is always consistent during certain events are the neon ramp colours!

I basically have all the needed variables for “lights” and “Ramp colours”  set so that if they are blinking they will keep adding up to a MAX amount. If they are continuously not blinking or on at all, they are off.  (man this part is so much easier with FP)

When you go into the Arcade Kicker, it will first check to see what status each of the MB lights are…and tag them as Lit. Then when the game changes colours of the ramps to indicate the different MB modes that are active… it will check for both the ramps colour and the MB_Light_Lit status for each one in turn and then play a video or pic as it progresses through each, before starting the MB modes. Sometimes it happens so quickly that one mode won’t display anything…but it works!

So, now when I hit the Quorra spinner….it will only show a Quorra video when it supposed to (neon ramps are green) as opposed to every time you go through the spinner (which can also give off other colours).  I also have it letting you know when Quorra MB is ready with a picture (temp pic)…and it won’t keep showing you again after that, until the Quorra MB is unlit. (It needs both green neon ramps and Quorra MB lit).

Lots more to do…and I know I won’t be able to do everything I want..but now that I’m getting this part figured out…I can do more.  Not as much as SLAMT1LT’s FP version….but still pretty damn good, with better looking videos.  :)

TerryRed
                    @terryred

I present to you, the world’s first PinUp Player table mod, Tron Legacy VPX (PUP Edition). This is not using a PinUp B2S, and was a complete mod of the table script. I created all the videos myself (1920×1080 for Backglass, and 1920×822 for Topper), inspired by SLAMT1LT’s FP version. Skip to 3:20 to get right to the demo and skip by rambling. Note: The backglass video in the upper right may seem to stutter…that’s because OBS wouldn’t record it nicely, whereas my cabinet shows that the videos all play perfectly all the time!

Since this is a rom based table. I have no access or control over any of the game code or actions. I literally made A LOT of new code specifically for PUP that works based on only triggers / switches from the game, and the playfield lights and neon ramp colour logic. It’s a miracle I was able to pull this off, as this works with most MB modes, as well as the jackpots,etc all having unique videos with titles,etc.  Because of this, I also wasn’t able to do anything for Sea of Simulation, End of Line MB,  or portal, as they all use White for neon ramp colours, and I have no way to differentiate them.

Enjoy….so cool!

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Looks very neat but how big is the table now? ;) Still watching video…..

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                      for IOS and Android

ICPjuggla
                        @icpjuggla
                        MembervipModerator

It’s sad and really sux the original VPX authors weren’t even mentioned! ?

TerryRed
                          @terryred

It’s sad and really sux the original VPX authors weren’t even mentioned! ?

Oh crap…you are absolutely right! I am so sorry about that. I am normally really particular about mentioning that in my videos, and I totally failed at that in this one. When others asked about the table mod in other threads (before I did the video) I mentioned that it was your table that I was modding.

It was really late last night and I was in a big hurry to get the video recorded…but that’s no excuse.

I made sure to mention you as the original author of the table in the video description on YT, and normally I would add a text blurb in the video as well, but they disabled that option.  Thank you for pointing this out. Again…I feel like total crap, and I did a total disservice to your amazing hard work on this table.

:(

TerryRed
                            @terryred

I’d like to take a moment to thank ICPJuggla for his work on this VPX version, as well as freneticamnesic’s original FP to VPX work. Also, like to thank rom, GLXB, for their FP original version, and SLAMT1LT’s inspiration from his FP version as well.

You guys are awesome!

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Easy to relate. Excitement of showing something this cool. :good:

Mark70
                              Participant
                                @mark70

Awesome video Terry, was hoping that someday something like this would be possible.

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

Easy to relate. Excitement of showing something this cool. :good:

I take pride in my work, but I should also take pride in others work as well. I have a reputation for giving credit where its due, and I failed at this one, big time. You are right that containing my excitement for finally being able to show this after beta testing PinUp player, and doing this table mod, and being able to show something off in the VP community that hasn’t been done quite like this before (barring Evil Dead P-Roc)…I felt a little rushed with excitement.

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

Looks very neat but how big is the table now? ;) Still watching video…..

Table itself is still around 55 MB, but the PUP Videos are around 400MB, even when compressed (which doesn’t do much). Can I upload a single file that big?

Hello world
                                    Participant
                                      @kirkin2006

Sorry. I cannot find ROM file to play this game. Where can I find the ROM file??

Manu thanks,  :good:

kino412
                                      Participant
                                        @kino412

Sorry. I cannot find ROM file to play this game. Where can I find the ROM file??

Manu thanks, :good:

I believe you can still get this one directly off of Stern’s website or just google “trn_174h” and the top link should work.

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?