Older Versions: Troubleshooting first time Setup/Install

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NailBuster
      @nailbuster
      ModeratorMember

Please use latest version thread for current info/help:

http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinup-player-new-version-1-2-released/

====================================================================================

Good to see many people setting up PinUp Player and for most it seems to be working ok.

Wanted to have this thread be the ‘one-place’ for people with issues getting setup/playback to work with their setups

I’ll update this first post with common issues/solutions.

If you are having issues. Please start off by going through this checklist of items. And answer any questions in your post/giving as much info as you can (windows version/# of monitors……etc).

It has been shown so far to work fine in windows 7 and windows 10.
      First thing is first:

Make sure you’re on the latest version of the files:  http://www.nailbuster.com/beta/PinUPPlayer_latest_build.zip

Note: To update… Overwrite all files in your PinUpPlayer folder (make a backup of your files in case you want to rollback)….remember to overwrite the PinUPb2splugin folder as well….(make sure you have nothing running while you are overwriting).

Things to NOTE: PinUpPlayer DOES NOT install anything, does NOT change any of your vpx/pinballx/b2s settings/INIs/registry….it doesn’t even touch your registry for anything.

I made sure that if you want to remove PuP just remove the PuP files/folders and just don’t use PuP Tables….simple

Make sure you follow the setup guide video on youtube: (there is a quick readme.txt in zip file as well).

YouTube Video For Setup

Ok, so once you’ve confirmed that B2S shows no errors and the plug-in is active we need to try a few things. Make sure you are using at least B2S server 1.3.0.1

There’s a “PinUpPlayerTest.exe” that you can run. Press the ‘test vlc’ button and it should play splash video in black box. Then press the PuPlayer test button and should not get any error messages.

If the Test works then we’re 90% there… that means we could access the com-object and play videos….

if videos don’t play then try and configure your PUP screens to use a different video driver (try directx). to access your pup display config run “PinUpDisplay.exe” manually and press ‘configure’.

I’ll assume you are trying to get the ‘amazing’ work from TerryRed Tron-Table working…

lets make sure files are all in the correct spot. You should have the video files in a folder like this “C:\Visual Pinball\Tables\PinUPPlayer\PUPVideos\Tron_legacy” Inside there should be numerous sub-folders with media files in each.

oh, when troubleshooting. do not run tables through pinballx (or menus) for now. One-thing at a time, so just run with vp 10.4 directly.

===================================================
      Issue: Table loads up but I get no videos playing. (no error messages)

Right-click on both the Pinupdisplay.exe and pinupplayer.exe and check “run this program in compatibility mode” windows 2000.

Working solution for Windows7

things to check/answer: (exit all apps and check)

If you run “PinUpDisplay.exe” and press ‘configure displays’. What are your default states for all screens(BG,DMD,Topper). You have option to show always, hide always, or POP-up. This will affect how the screens are displayed.

are you running vpx in full-screen exclusive or windowed mode? Test switching between the two (like run vpx in just a 640×480 window and see if your PuP screens change)

make sure your DPI settings for the screens aren’t affecting the player. Try changing those to see if it changes anything.

======================================================
      Error in B2S startup on all tables

This is probably your b2s version installed (or maybe you have multiple versions)..

You can test and remove the PUPB2S b2s driver folder for now( the tron table uses direct access to PUP so will still work). Just move the “PinUPPlayerB2SDriver” folder to another location (outside of the plugins folder of b2s)

Other things to try:
      Run some tron videos outside of VPX/PUP, just use file explorer and make sure you can play the mp4s using the default vlc player.

Security wise:

You shouldn’t enable any administrator mode on exes (in fact someone mentioned it didn’t work when they set the exes to admin mode). But you should check the standard windows 10 stuffs to ‘unblock’ dlls if its enabled (right click on dlls, check for block checkbox)

If you are getting errors starting OTHER tables after installing PuP….then the only way PuP can affect other tables is with the B2S plugin. You can remove the PupB2s plugin folder and restart….and your b2s/cab will not be affected.

I’m trying a ‘different’ method in this build so that windows7 (or other security issues) should be minimized….but who knows….

Note:
      PinUP player does NOT support rotation of videos. but you can use very simple one-click tools that will go though an entire folder and re-output video files rotated for your cab.

RYSr (Rich)
      Participant
        @rysr

TerryRed,

I recently installed the Video PUP files and notice that after I load a PUP or non PUP table in  VPX, the PinUPdisplay configuration is an active icon in my windows tray even after VP is closed.  Is this normal.

I copied the decompressed zip into a PinUPPlayer folder in my VPM directory. The Tron Legacy table work with the popups OK.

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

TerryRed, I recently installed the Video PUP files and notice that after I load a PUP or non PUP table in VPX, the PinUPdisplay configuration is an active icon in my windows tray even after VP is closed. Is this normal. I copied the decompressed zip into a PinUPPlayer folder in my VPM directory. The Tron Legacy table work with the popups OK.

Not quit normal. They should be gone when quitting back to the editor for example.

How are you closing VPX? I find that if I close it via PBX then it doesn’t quite close out PuP properly (and looping videos will continue playing).

NailBuster
            @nailbuster
            ModeratorMember

I think Rich is talking about pinupdisplay which sits in the systemtray.  By design that remains ‘sleeping/waiting’ between tables.  You can right-click close if you are running on desktop.

There are going to be other interfaces other than vpx  (DofLinx,  pupb2s scripts, b2s plugin,etc )…  they all use that display driver so it’s best to keep it in background.

:David

TerryRed
              @terryred
              MemberContributorModerator

I think Rich is talking about pinupdisplay which sits in the systemtray. By design that remains ‘sleeping/waiting’ between tables. You can right-click close if you are running on desktop. There are going to be other interfaces other than vpx (DofLinx, pupb2s scripts, b2s plugin,etc )… they all use that display driver so it’s best to keep it in background. :David

Oh…you’re right…I had autoclose enabled during some testing today and that’s why it was gone for me when exiting VPX.

Jesperpark
              Participant
                @jesperpark

To that end I have had a few times when shutting down my cpu, I have have had to force close pinupplayer. which is fine except when running in pinballX and not using my keyboard at that time.  Not a big deal, just noting it has happened

1 user thanked author for this post.
                RYSr (Rich)
                Participant
                  @rysr

I think Rich is talking about pinupdisplay which sits in the systemtray. By design that remains ‘sleeping/waiting’ between tables. You can right-click close if you are running on desktop. There are going to be other interfaces other than vpx (DofLinx, pupb2s scripts, b2s plugin,etc )… they all use that display driver so it’s best to keep it in background. :David

Oh…you’re right…I had autoclose enabled during some testing today and that’s why it was gone for me when exiting VPX.

How do you enable autoclose, I don’t see it as an option in the configuration screen?

Why is it activated by tables with no PUP code?

Rich

NailBuster
                    @nailbuster
                    ModeratorMember

TerryRed is using a ‘special’ version with that debug option…  It is not a standard option yet….

You will see PuP running on non-pup tables because B2S plugin needs to check with PUP on table startup to see if its ‘PuP’d’

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?