Win10 finally under control – I HOPE!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

Windows 10 has been driving bloody bonkers of late!  The stupid thing insists on updating the nVidia drivers each time it updates itself.

Now this would normally not be a problem, except that the latest nVidia drivers DON’T ****ING WORK on my machine and cause the dreaded ‘Black Screens Of Death!’

It’s quite a common problem actually and one that nVidia has had its head in the sand about for a long time.

Each time it happens, I have to unplug my DMD monitor (so I can see the BIOS boot on one of the other screens), plug in a keyboard and hit F3 to force Safe Mode on Windows boot.  Then I have to delete the new driver using DDU, install the old driver and reset my screens etc…. what a PITA!!

I’d turned off every thing I could in Windows, but stoopid 10 insists on updating the driver.  Hell, I even downloaded Microsoft’s own app (designed to fix the issue) and set the driver to the “Hidden Driver” list so it wouldn’t update…. but guess what, IT STILL UPDATED!!!! Argghhh!!!!

Anyway, so now I am running a net monitoring app and blocking every instance of Windows going online.  It’s been on for 4 full days and as of only this morning, has it stopped trying to phone home.  The amount of pop-ups I’ve blocked to get to this point is simply staggering!

Why didn’t I just take my cab offline?

Well it’s my digital radio, Netflix, Video Jukebox and a truck load of other things that it needs to go online for. So taking it off line was not an option me.

OK, that’s my rant over…. but this is something for other Win10 users here to look out for.

Oh!…. Even if your system is working fine, I recommend turning off Windows10 Fast Boot.  If you leave it on, the F3 to SafeMode option doesn’t work and it’s then a REAL PITA to recover from the Black Screens Of Death :(

freelunch
      Participant
        @freelunch

Sounds like a lot of trouble, glad you found a solution. I’m curious, what do Nvidia’s customer service say about this?

RustyCardores
          @rustycardores
          MemberModerator

Sounds like a lot of trouble, glad you found a solution. I’m curious, what do Nvidia’s customer service say about this?

Absolutely nothing!  Even in their own forums never is there a response from vVidia. :(

senseless
          Participant
            @senseless

You can turn off the update check via the Nvidia Settings (via Help/Updates). Deselect the automatic check for updates. This will also prevent any unwanted pop-ups.

RustyCardores
              @rustycardores
              MemberModerator

Thanks @senseless, but my nVidia doesn’t give me that option

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Win10 is evil – I will not install it unless I really have to.

senseless
                Participant
                  @senseless

Win 10 is not evil :). It is the first decent OS Microsoft released in the last decade ;).

Which driver version are you running and what kind of card are you using? I think the NVidia Control panel is optional and will not be available if you only install the driver. Maybe (a full) reinstall with the control panel should help?

Sliderpoint
                  Participant
                    @sliderpoint
                    MemberContributor

Download the show/hide updates tool from here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10

I had to do this with a stupid printer driver that broke things.

-Mike

freelunch
                    Participant
                      @freelunch

Oh, oh, I have 2 cents on Windows 10 too! Unfortunately, Windows 10 was not designed to be the best OS it could be. It was designed to data mine end users who don’t know how to turn off all the anti-privacy settings, and increase web traffic for Bing (I’ve read the latter has worked quite well for Microsoft). I would stick with Windows 7 myself if I didn’t believe Microsoft would kill it in due time. Also, Windows 10 is probably going to get better support from developers as more users adopt the OS (mostly because they will buy new pre-built PCs without Windows 7 as an option). I just hope the Universal Windows Platform continues to get widely ignored by developers in favor of old-fashioned executables. I don’t like how the Google Play Store functions on Android, and Google has used it to effectively corner the software distribution market for Android, something Microsoft wants to do for Windows.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      TXT11
                      Participant
                        @txt11

Ever thought of buying a cheap media player (like the old WDTV Live) to do your internet stuff…?  I could never bear to connect my cab to the internet….

RustyCardores
                          @rustycardores
                          MemberModerator

Win 10 is not evil :). It is the first decent OS Microsoft released in the last decade ;). Which driver version are you running and what kind of card are you using? I think the NVidia Control panel is optional and will not be available if you only install the driver. Maybe (a full) reinstall with the control panel should help?

Been there done that many times. The control panel was not presented as an option, but the GForce Experience was.  I have always installed without the later to avoid it’s driver update process.

RustyCardores
                            @rustycardores
                            MemberModerator

Download the show/hide updates tool from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10 I had to do this with a stupid printer driver that broke things. -Mike

As I mentioned in the OP, I did that and it did bupkis!  …. the driver still auto updated. :(

RustyCardores
                              @rustycardores
                              MemberModerator

Ever thought of buying a cheap media player (like the old WDTV Live) to do your internet stuff…? I could never bear to connect my cab to the internet….

I have Smart TVs, AppleTVs, PlayStations etc littered throughout the house….. but just the way my place is, location of the cab, what lives powered on most of the time, where I spend most of my time and it’s location relative to the pincab, what runs KODI best etc etc, all add up to “I use the pincab” ;)

RustyCardores
                                @rustycardores
                                MemberModerator

I’ve been researching more and it seems a conflict may exist with some ageing motherboards.  I have flashed the MB to the most recent BIOS but it didn’t help.

I think ultimately I will update the MB, CPU and RAM in the cab (it needs that anyway, as it’s just an old quadcore) and use the current one as a PC on my desk to script my PMD table mods.

I gave my i7 laptop to a nephew who is struggling a bit at the moment and since then I have been making script mods on my mac and transferring them to the cab to test….. the back and forth is driving me nuts! So i figure that will be good use of the current machine.

StevOz
                                Participant
                                  @stevoz

Here ya go for a real free lunch..

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that come with Windows 10. Seeing the bunch of incomplete or broken scripts to disable tracking in Windows 10, and the tools that install adware or worse in exchange for their function, we wrapped disabling tracking up in a small tool that’s free and clean. With the upcoming news about telemetry in Windows 7 and 8.1, Spybot Anti-Beacon has added support for those as well.

Using it here, free and recommended…

Link…

https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55

RustyCardores
                                    @rustycardores
                                    MemberModerator

Here ya go for a real free lunch..

Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 is a small utility designed to block and stop the various tracking (aka telemetry) issues that come with Windows 10. Seeing the bunch of incomplete or broken scripts to disable tracking in Windows 10, and the tools that install adware or worse in exchange for their function, we wrapped disabling tracking up in a small tool that’s free and clean. With the upcoming news about telemetry in Windows 7 and 8.1, Spybot Anti-Beacon has added support for those as well.

Using it here, free and recommended… Link… https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55

Cheers StevOz, I’ll keep it in mind.  At the moment I am using NetLimiter4 with good success. I like it because it’s probably the closest thing I have found to LittleSnitch on the Mac.

Josh
                                    Participant
                                      @osujd

Speaking of win 10 issues I just experienced one after a critical update.  My pinmame stopped loading. I was able to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling it. However now I get the legal mumbo jumbo Everytime I open a table is there anyway to in Mass skip these or do I have to go through every table

RustyCardores
                                        @rustycardores
                                        MemberModerator

So this morning I grabbed a spare Windows 8.1 notebook that I found laying around to do some PMD code in VPX.(one of my sons is an IT guy, so spare stuff just shows up all the time)

I did that for a while and then left the laptop to go clean the pool.  I then came back to do some more PMD and while doing so, I get a popup window from Windows asking me “How was my experience with the Win10 update?” or words to that effect.

Wait??  What Win10? Go away popup, you’re drunk! This is an 8.1 machine. (I checked just this morning when seeing if it would be an OK machine to use for VPX)

But no… Mr Popup is right, Windows had self updated to 10 while I cleaned the pool.  Frak me! :(

Jesperpark
                                        Participant
                                          @jesperpark

Speaking of win 10 issues I just experienced one after a critical update. My pinmame stopped loading. I was able to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling it. However now I get the legal mumbo jumbo Everytime I open a table is there anyway to in Mass skip these or do I have to go through every table

When you bring up the pinmame defaults menu select “Cabinet mode” that will get rid of the nag screens for you.

Rusty you should have 30 days to revert to 8.1 no?  Google should tell you how

RustyCardores
                                            @rustycardores
                                            MemberModerator

Speaking of win 10 issues I just experienced one after a critical update. My pinmame stopped loading. I was able to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling it. However now I get the legal mumbo jumbo Everytime I open a table is there anyway to in Mass skip these or do I have to go through every table

When you bring up the pinmame defaults menu select “Cabinet mode” that will get rid of the nag screens for you. Rusty you should have 30 days to revert to 8.1 no? Google should tell you how

Yeah I should have a roll back available to me. It just “fries my periwinkle” that bloody Windows goes and does crap like this without asking.

To be honest, I’m not sure if I will bother rolling back. 10 back to 8 is a bit like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire ;)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?