This project was developed just for my setup. It closes a gap. There are amazing tables and nice backglasses, but the DMD is only nice looking, if you you use real cabinet. I made some directb2s and changed the DMD's transparency and played around with it allot. But the results don't look "real". The main reason is, that the DMD is above the backglass and not behind it. So I decided to code a small (9,8 MB are transparent graphics) c# gdi+ application for it.
1st layer is still the backglass.
2nd layer is the DMD. Now with a pixel based black border (backmask) from my tool.
3rd layer is the glow and glare of the glas.
4th layer is the grill-graphic.
How to install:
Extract the zip and start the DMDOverlay with admin privileges. (They are needed for analyzing the VPX window-processes.)
Since Version 1.3: Put the zip-included NAudio.dll into the same directory.
How to use it - see it in action:
How it works:
When you start a VPX table while DMDOverlay is running, the DMD-window is recognized and a section is inserted in the configuration file (DMDOverlay.ini) in the application path. When the application finds your setup data for the recognized table, the overlay will be rendered in top of the DMD.
How to setup the table data
When you have already startet some vpx tables, then you get them listet in the setup window. Perhaps you have to reload the list once.
Now it's time to setup a table.
Select a recognized table (window process name).
Set the correct rom-name to enable the three Overlay-Modes and click "save".
Now you can choose ...
1) "Templates" are predefined grill-DMDglass combinations.
They're sized fullwidth and positioned via the top-position value on
the second screen. You can set brightness, glow-level and a
2) "External imagefile" has the same positioning but without
DMDglass. This must be part of the image.
3) "Glass only" is just the glass aligned on the DMD. You can adjust
an optional padding and the glow intensity. This is your mode,
if you want the DMD on a grill within a backglas.
How to use it:
Version 1.1 (10/25/2019):
- Fileselect-dialog for external grillimages
- Debug-Info for zindex
Version 1.2.1 (10/28/2019):
- available romnames listed automatically
- Pinball FX3 support (One grill for their tables. You must activate cabinet support to have the DMD on second screen. The grill is listed as "Pinball FX3".)
Version 1.3 (11/26/2019):
- Volume-display for two selectable soundcards
Info: The volume-controll consumpts some cpu-power. If you dont't want this, please set both audio-devices to "none".
- Multi-Screen support: You can setup your own x-pos and grill-width
Version 1.3.1 (11/27/2019):
- Bugfix for long dmd-window-names like "Pirates of the Caribbean (V6.0 German, French)". They were not read correctly from ini-file.
Version 1.3.2 (11/28/2019):
- Missing "NAudio.dll" included again
Version 1.4 (12/04/2019):
- Support for freezys DmdDevice.dll (it's beta, please test it). I prefer vpinmame but some people have asked for it.
Version 1.4.1 (12/29/2019):
- Support for large inifiles with 100s of tables.
Version 1.4.2 (12/31/2019):
- Bugfix: Errormessage if no ini-file exists