I posted a lot of the progress for this update in the table wip thread but I thought I'd compile it into a project for posterity.
If you are not already familiar with my process, what I do is sculpt high poly, high detail sculpts in ZBrush and then make an optimized, low poly version of the model(s) and with the use of projection mapping in 3dsmax and normal bump map projection I'm able to retain the detail of the high poly sculpt in the low poly version.
I made the original Frankenstein model in 3dsmax long before normal bump maps were supported in VP, I used the same models as the base for the updates. I had many HD photos from many angles of the Frank head provided by 'The Loafer" which really helped improve the accuracy of the model to it's real life counterpart. I spent many hours trying to match the Frank sculpt to photos in ZBrush, the difficulty is trying to judge how much the image is being warped by perspective and trying to average out the differences between photos....over and over again until satisfied.